Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 7:33pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bard of DorAr
    Doesn't change that they're normally crap in the hand to hand method of fighting, or with melee weapons in general.
    Agreed on this point. The main reason why we "win" in hand to hand with civilians and sometimes other service members is because we're taught to be aggressive since day 1 in boot camp, and our will to fight surpasses theirs. Substituting crap technique with Rage as I put it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 1:34am

Style: Kaju, FMA, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Larson
    Agreed on this point. The main reason why we "win" in hand to hand with civilians and sometimes other service members is because we're taught to be aggressive since day 1 in boot camp, and our will to fight surpasses theirs. Substituting crap technique with Rage as I put it.
    I agree. As an Active duty Marine who recently came back from Fallujah #2, most of the fighting we did was with our M16's. I'm a Machine Gunner so we used the 240G as well. Very few times however did we come to H2H. If you did you would kill the son of a bitch with anything you had at the time. I mean anything. We did have a guy kill one of the Muj with his bare hands, but he bashed the guys head with a rock. MCMAP sucks ass, it doesn't give us anything to use. We are not taught really any kind of H2H, knife fighting is unheard of and bayonet work isn't stressed at all. A few of us in the infantry would go out and train ourselves to get better. By and large however we were the minority not the majority. What does the majority do you ask? Get drunk and fight people in the bar....oh and hit on peoples wives just to piss them off. Hey all the hate and discontent has to go somewhere.

shenbitt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 8:16am

Style: Hwardo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by Bard of DorAr:
    Which is a much more valid point. Most of em I knew couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag without a blade of some sort and they weren't that good at that either (Was the main thing I caught flack for, smacking around everyone when it came to knife or bayonet training).

I too am a Marine and have a few comments to make. First, regarding Bard's comment, you are right, most of the Marines I knew did not fight well either, however, the ones I knew that were grunts or had a field MOS did fight, and fought well.

Originally Posted by Luck Seven
    When marines fight they have automatic rifles, without ammo they can still be used as a weapon, without them they have handguns and even if they don't have either one, they have knifes, why are they learning hand to hand ? they will very rarely use those skills, besides the time and training you need to invest on them to be able to use them efficiently in a combat cenario its too much, I bet they don't train every day of the week on it.

Luck, obviously, you have no idea what you are talking about. Yea, in a war time situation, at best, you have your M16. We almost never have a K-Bar on the end of our M16 or even with us, and even to a lesser degree do we have pistols. In the first Gulf War, I actually had to use H2H, luck for me, I have been studying MA for 15 years by that time. The amount of time a Marine spends on it is up to that individual Marine but I think I remember reading where the Marine Corp was requiring at least 5 hours a week of martial arts training.

Here is the url for those interested: https://www.tbs.usmc.mil/Pages/MA/default.htm
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345