Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2005 4:42pm

Style: I dont believe in styles

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah its a little bit strange to have a Ring fighter teaching soilders...

Just my opinion though seems like advertising....

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 9:49am

Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, cause them ring fighters don't know nothin' 'bout fightin' and stuff.

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is a much more valid point. Most of em I knew couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag without a blade of some sort and they weren't that good at that either (Was the main thing I caught flack for, smacking around everyone when it came to knife or bayonet training).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 11:13am

Style: Escrima/Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemouth
    Yeah its a little bit strange to have a Ring fighter teaching soilders...

Just my opinion though seems like advertising....
    Not soldiers, Marines. THere is a difference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 11:17am

Style: Escrima/Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bard of DorAr
    Which is a much more valid point. Most of em I knew couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag without a blade of some sort and they weren't that good at that either (Was the main thing I caught flack for, smacking around everyone when it came to knife or bayonet training).
    But Marines and Soldiers are not taught to be empty hand/non ballistic weapon individual fighters. They are trained to shoot, move and communicate in small units that coordinate into large unit actions which evolve into mission completion.....

I bet if you got 12 of your friends together and spent a bare minimum of training time on team tactics and small unit defense/offensive operations - just like servicemen/women spend a bare minimum on h2h - and went head to head with a Marine squad with Paintball guns or simunition or MILES gear, you would get 'smacked around' as you say.

Training goals and objectives drive the training.

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 2:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm aware, keep in mind, the only reason I'm not a jarhead is a screwed up knee. I have the utmost respect for them for what they do.

Doesn't change that they're normally crap in the hand to hand method of fighting, or with melee weapons in general.

My initial confusion and the source of my thoughts stem on two points.

One: I seriously think they should have better training with knife and with bayonet on rifle. Sure you can lay my training as reason for why I decimated, but it's still something that actually CAN come up with some decent frequency and it should be covered better IMO.

Two: Their unarmed is getting better, but take into account that when I was in boot I had no unarmed training to speak of. I knew a few take downs and concepts from rolling with friends, but I wasn't impressive was still doing well, which made me cringe inside and has (probably unfairly) tainted my view on that training as well.

But I'll never deny their ability as fighters in general. I'm not that stupid. And hell, my body couldn't take the Crucible (When my knee died) but they all pull it off.
    Last edited by Bard of DorAr; 12/08/2005 9:48am at .

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by loki09789
    But Marines and Soldiers are not taught to be empty hand/non ballistic weapon individual fighters. They are trained to shoot, move and communicate in small units that coordinate into large unit actions which evolve into mission completion.....

I bet if you got 12 of your friends together and spent a bare minimum of training time on team tactics and small unit defense/offensive operations - just like servicemen/women spend a bare minimum on h2h - and went head to head with a Marine squad with Paintball guns or simunition or MILES gear, you would get 'smacked around' as you say.

Training goals and objectives drive the training.
    What if I dual wield MILES M249s while leaping parallel to the ground? I can't be killed if I'm in the middle of a shootdodge...
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    9/30/2005 10:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The funny thing I saw in that was really the assumption that on a board full of fighters one wouldn't know guns.

Which is why I avoided the paint ball thing. To get the level of training his example requires (I agree by the way) I have to go make a bunch of new friends without skill in the area. As my friends consist of military and police officers and some guys who paintball on a competetive level.

Sense Offender

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Ken hadn't suffered an injury keeping him from being a Marine ... he'd be one today. He would be off active duty but ... y'know, "Once one ... ".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 7:27pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a currently active duty Marine, I must say that what I've seen with the entry level MCMAP in boot camp, I wasn't impressed.

(Edit: They all are in recruit training.)

The techniques involved a lot of what I've seen from Japanese styles, and the punches were taught in basic western boxing concepts (though most recruits got the impression punches should be "flicky flicky" to be made 'powerful'). We did -0- free sparring, just practiced the techniques in the air and sometimes with completely cooperative opponents.

On the other hand, it was at times, fun. There were many hours put into it, and we were encouraged to strike our partners nice n' hard.

The most martial we ever got in boot was being put in a 3 x 3 ft wooden walled area, and body boxed full contact with gloves and head protection. My opponent was my friend Gullberg, who outweighed me by a good 50 pounds.

We also did full contact pugil sticks. Very fun.

I have to say that the MCMAP is good for conditioning you mentally for being aggressive as opposed to a panty waist, but it's not really something you should rely on completely in terms of the physical side of MA.

There's my $.02.
    Last edited by Dusty Larson; 12/03/2005 7:45pm at .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast