221455 Bullies, 3560 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shamrock teaches Marines how to be the world's most dangerous men

Ken Shamrock shared some of the hand-to-hand combat techniques he's learned and perfected over the years with U.S. Marine Corps instructors during an Aug. 17 visit to the Martial Arts Center of Excellence in Quantico, Va.

Shamrock, a four-time mixed martial arts world champion who was dubbed “The World's Most Dangerous Man” after winning several Mixed Martial Arts titles, said he wants to give back to the soldiers who are helping to protect our freedom.

“This is probably one of the best things I've ever been involved with,” Shamrock said. “I'm one of the first instructors in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCAMAP). I teach the instructors and then they teach the Marines.”

Shamrock taught his first clinic in Okinawa in 2001 before the Sept. 11 attacks. Since then he's led a number of clinics at Okinawa and Virginia.

Of course, Shamrock said there's a world of difference between fighting in a ring and fighting for your life in hand-to-hand combat.

“The techniques have to be adapted to fit their needs,” Shamrock said. “The Marines are more in real life. When we fight in the UFC, it's on a nice clean mat. When the Marines fight, they're in the dirt, and it's not quite the same when bombs are going off and bullets are flying over your head. From the time you engage to the time you finish has got to be 3 to 5 seconds. You don't have much time. You either throw the opponent down or take them down with a body throw, and once they hit the ground, immediately snap the neck or knock them out. It's going to be clench, take down and finish quickly.”
    Attached Images  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 10:40pm

Style: shootwrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Immediately snap the neck"?
    Is there really a valid technique for doing so?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 11:49pm

Style: Boxing, Beginner BJJ,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .... ha ... nice to know.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 12:18am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DokterVet

Yes. However, why are you asking? Do you need to kill someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    ...after winning the first Ultimate Fighting Championship title in the 1980s...

Huh?

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 12:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the 1980s!?

EDIT: Damn, Homer beat me to it. ^^
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 12:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DokterVet
    **** yeah. I'm fairly certain that 'vigorous' flexion quickly followed by rotation of the neck could do it. (Force chin to chest and then twist)

*SNAP*

Thats what my ol' jujutsu sensei said - he had been a SEAL too. Based on what I know about the anatomy of the neck, I'd say its pretty feasible. I would imagine that you would want to choke 'em out first unless you were very strong and they were a pencil-necked nerd.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 2:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There ARE ways to snap the neck. Even His Spindliness the Great Spaz is reasonably proficient in one or two.

Why are the Marines learning MMA anyway? They should all be learning SCARS...:notworthy
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:40am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When marines fight they have automatic rifles, without ammo they can still be used as a weapon, without them they have handguns and even if they don't have either one, they have knifes, why are they learning hand to hand ? they will very rarely use those skills, besides the time and training you need to invest on them to be able to use them efficiently in a combat cenario its too much, I bet they don't train every day of the week on it.

Just my 2 cents, but hey, they are the experts, they know what they are doing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 5:53am

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simple. With all the ninjas popping up whoever we fight is bound to have at least seven ninja clans to sneak into our bases and we all know bullets are useless against them.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 8:11am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    There ARE ways to snap the neck. Even His Spindliness the Great Spaz is reasonably proficient in one or two.

Why are the Marines learning MMA anyway? They should all be learning SCARS...:notworthy
    you're proficient at breaking necks?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast