Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 2:13pm

Style: Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I usually get done running at 12:00am. I really shouldn't be eating anything then, right? More so becasue I'll be sleeping in like 2 hours.

Running is very catabolic, anything over 130-140 bpm doing cardio will use muscle tissue before food for protien. This will occur up to 4-6 hour post workout if you spent at least 45 minutes on the cardio. Taking casien post workout or pre bed time will give you the slower digestion you need to give that release of protien over your "SLAR" phase(coneheads joke people). Casien or "cottage cheeseyness" before bed does a few things but here is what is most important.

Casien is an extremely easily absorbed protien
    Cellular break down of casien is extremely difficult

what that means is that casien is easily absorb into your body and blood stream even when your metabolic rate is low IE when you are sleeping. When you do sleep you release hgh and grow new tissues. In fact the only time you do grow tissue or muscle is when you asleep. Casien before bed will absorb while your MBR is low and burn slow throughout the night because of the break down of the protien is pretty tuff. Its a buff protien. This gives you a long range of time you body will use the protien from casien to repair tissue in your legs from running. If you have absolutely no protien food in your system before bed it would pull from other muscles to get the protien source.

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 6:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the recommendations. How much cottage cheese should I eat? I weigh a bit under 60kg if that helps. Also would one of those natural yoghurt products do the same thing (I believe it has cassein in it) or is cottage cheese the most effective?

*ETA* I just ran 20 mins down the road (it's 10pm) to get some cottage cheese, and am now eating it, so don't think I'm not listening!
    Last edited by Lothene; 9/21/2005 6:54am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 7:30am

Style: Brasilian Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tuna.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 9:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothene
    Thanks for the recommendations. How much cottage cheese should I eat? I weigh a bit under 60kg if that helps. Also would one of those natural yoghurt products do the same thing (I believe it has cassein in it) or is cottage cheese the most effective?

*ETA* I just ran 20 mins down the road (it's 10pm) to get some cottage cheese, and am now eating it, so don't think I'm not listening!
    I would do a search of this forum. You're receiving some good and some bad advice here. Your question has been covered at length in other threads with much better advice and much more explanation than you're receiving here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How deep of a sleep does one need to be in to experience more than negligible growth? Lately I've been sleeping very lightly, like I wake up every hour and fall asleep within 5 seconds, and it really sucks. But I am still growing and gaining weight. I am positive it isn't significant fat.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostol
    How deep of a sleep does one need to be in to experience more than negligible growth? Lately I've been sleeping very lightly, like I wake up every hour and fall asleep within 5 seconds, and it really sucks. But I am still growing and gaining weight. I am positive it isn't significant fat.
    Your muscles grow regardless of whether you're asleep or not. It's necessary to rest them, to avoid further tearing them down, but sleep is only indirectly tied to growth. I believe there might be some hormonal aspects of sleep that can benefit muscle growth, but I doubt it's that significant.

The sleep is important in terms of your CNS, general health, and training intensity. So lack of sleep can certainly effect your growth, but it's an indirect effect.

At least that's my undersatnding.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Post workout ? Beer and peanuts is the only game in town.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12