Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who cares what peope think, whether they think "oh cool" or "what a poser!"? Wear what is going to work best and last longest for you if you are going to do this long term. For instance, I bought a Koral gi and some Sprawl shorts when I started BJJ because I felt if I bought cheap **** I would just have to replace it later. Plus I look cool in my "Hey did you know I do MMA??? I am t3h tough" shirt.

EDIT: Clothes do not make the poser. Posing makes the poser.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 10:51am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by locu5
    Who cares what peope think, whether they think "oh cool" or "what a poser!"? Wear what is going to work best and last longest for you if you are going to do this long term. For instance, I bought a Koral gi and some Sprawl shorts when I started BJJ because I felt if I bought cheap **** I would just have to replace it later. Plus I look cool in my "Hey did you know I do MMA??? I am t3h tough" shirt.

Ahh, I bought some of those split sprawl shorts that Mir wears. Not because I grapple just because I got sick of ripping and overstretching other shorts when kicking. The split ones are nice, a little too short, but theyre nice.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 10:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JW, buy a jiu-jitsi or judo gi, it will last longer than any other type of gi in Bjj class. Don't waste your money on a fancy designer gi, if you're a beginner, that is a sure sign of a poser. I personally like the unbleached Atama's. They are inexpensive and they last. They are also fairly plain.

As for no-gi, just buy a rashguard and a good pair of basketball shorts. I've been wearing them for no-gi class for a couple of years now and they work. Just make sure the shorts have a drawstring, otherwise you're sure to get pantsed (sp?), usually about the time some attractive woman comes into the dojo. While I normally wear nothing but cotton, I found the artificial fiber mesh shorts to be more breathable.
    Shut the hell up and train.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by locu5

Exactly. I bought Sprawls because I knew they had a good reputation and didn't want to keep buying ****.

But I bought a regular single weave HCK gi because my instructor said it would last me a long time, so I knew I wouldn't have to buy another one for a while. If he had told me that it would only last me 6 months, while the more expensive one would last 2 years, I would go for the more expensive ones. I like QUALITY. This could stem from the fact that my dad ALWAYS buy **** because it's "cheaper" and it breaks down and then he has to buy the good stuff anyway, but I just don't see the point in buying something that I'll probably have to replace soon anyway.

PL

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 12:55pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You get pantsed at your gym? That's a little, weird. We did that in school as kids, but grown adults doing it is just, weird.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    JW, buy a jiu-jitsi or judo gi, it will last longer than any other type of gi in Bjj class. Don't waste your money on a fancy designer gi, if you're a beginner, that is a sure sign of a poser. I personally like the unbleached Atama's. They are inexpensive and they last. They are also fairly plain.

As for no-gi, just buy a rashguard and a good pair of basketball shorts. I've been wearing them for no-gi class for a couple of years now and they work. Just make sure the shorts have a drawstring, otherwise you're sure to get pantsed (sp?), usually about the time some attractive woman comes into the dojo. While I normally wear nothing but cotton, I found the artificial fiber mesh shorts to be more breathable.

I'll have to check out the Atamas stuff. Anyone know where I can find a good sizing chart? I don't know what A1 - A6 means as far as height and weight.

Looks like I'll stick with my Starter gear (Dri-fit shirt + B-Ball shorts). I haven't had a problem yet, so I don't want to spend any extra money if I don't have to. I understand what you're saying PL, but I bought the gear for KF and weight training, and it's also worked out (no pun intended) very well in BJJ. I remember when Starter used to be the brand to own...I guess I just can't pull myself out of the 90's.

Feedback,
    I don't have the build to comfortably sport the long sleeve Under Armor shirt just yet :) . Also, the only MA related clothing I wear in public is the stuff I've either done design work for, or stuff I have a personal interest in seeing succeed (getting the name out). But even then it's rare. I don't wear TapOut, or any other big brand fight gear, because that would definitely reek of poser.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I wanted to make sure how most guys feel about this stuff. I really don't care what others think of me, but I do want to avoid what KeinHaar was talking about (although I'm sure my disarming personality would help somewhat). I know it would bug me to see something like that, and I like my arms only bending one direction.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 1:54pm

Style: SubG, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear some old stained soccer shorts to my submission grappling classes. Why you ask? Well, they are old and stained, so I don't really care if they rip or anything. They fit well and have a draw strings on the inside which is good. The waistband works fine with my cup supporter. Only thing I don't like about them is the pockets, I did catch my fingers in my own pocket while rolling with A.D.D.

I'm gonna get a rashguard, but the reason isn't purely to fit in or be a poser... My frat is having a huge party this Saturday with a tropical theme, and while I'm not in bad shape... I have some bacne (acne on my back), and I guess it provides good coverage against mosquitos later into the night. Then I'll just wear swimming board shorts with it. I'll also need to get one of those supersoakers with the icepack built in, just to make sure I have a constant stream of chilled Vodka-Tonic, or some nipple hardening ammunition. Also, I keep stretching out my white Ts whenever I go to BJJ classes.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 1:58pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    I'll have to check out the Atamas stuff. Anyone know where I can find a good sizing chart? I don't know what A1 - A6 means as far as height and weight.
    Atama has sizing charts on the page that features the individuai gi's. I bought a single weave two years ago and it's held up well. The pants tend to run a little short, but one of the reasons I like Atama is that they will let you buy one size top and a different size pants. At 5'10", 175 lbs. I wear an A3 kimono and A4 pants. -jnp
    Shut the hell up and train.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 2:10pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found the whole "look at the label I'm wearing" aesthetic to be tiring when the girls in my junior high classes used to do it, and I find it to be just as bad when grown men in martial arts clubs do it.

I understand that some items are made better than others, but there's something to be said for the utter simplicity of a plain gi, etc. IMO, far too many guys these days dress like Indy race cars.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally wear a karate themed tshirt to boxing, so I can get a proper beatdown/workout.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast