Safe For Work

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How long does "Poser Probation" last?

One thing I used to hate about playing pick-up games of football were the posers that would show up with their Dion Sanders jersy, with a mouthpiece and receivers gloves, but would completely suck on the field. Of course since I didn't dress the part, they would get picked first, but that team would suffer the consequences of judging a book by it's cover :icon_sunn

Anyway, I was just curious about the social protocol of BJJ. How long should one be training before one starts showing up in Sprawl or Clinch Gear shorts, or a Rednose (or other brand name) gi? Do I have to go through several pairs of $5 walmart Starter shorts before deciding to throw down the cash, or are people going to look at me and take extra special care in making me squeal for coming off as a poser.

I'm just curious, but I'm still sticking with the Walmart gear for a while, since I don't seem to have a problem using it for Kung Fu, weight training and BJJ. I was talking to one of the guys that loves his Clinch Gear shorts, and a few of the guys have those Sprawl shorts with the stretch material panel in the crotch area, and I thought they looked very cool. I was also thinking about getting a Jiu Jitsu gi as well.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 1:07am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought some Sprawl shorts and a grappling top after like a month, when I first started going to the no-gi classes. I won't waste my money on the $5 crap that rips and stuff. It's lasted me for 7 months so far. I got a few "nice outfit" remarks when I first showed up, but I stayed for a while now and even competed (lost 1st match :P), so I think I can be considered a "regular".

PL

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 3:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there's no reason to ever buy sprawl shorts unless you're fighting, but there is a good reason to get a good long sleeved shirt like underarmor, or a rashguard. They keep you cleaner, more comfortable, and cooler. Buy better gear as soon as you're sure you're serious.

After about 2 months I bought a pair of board shorts and a long sleeved underarmor. I don't think you'll need anything more fancy under most conditions.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 3:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the subject, make sure you never ever buy any clothes to wear outside of training that reference your hobby. The only excuse for anybody to be wearing gear like tapout and SFUK, etc is because you were given it as a promotion before your previous fight.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 7:38am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bought the $75 gi which the school had on hand. Will keep that until it wears out. Then I will buy a new one. Repeat. Or when I rearrange my schedule, perhaps I'll have another gi on hand while the other one dries.

Regarding those who wear pimp gear, I think a bit less about working on what I need to work on, and a bit more about seeing if I can "beat" billy bad ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 7:38am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I brought myself a long sleeve Vitamins and Minerals rash guard and a pair of gi shorts a while ago. Funny thing is, I don't have a qualm about wearing them at my academy, but when I trained at other academies whilst travelling, I felt that the poser factor went waaay up.

In some respects I'm lucky, though. My instructor is the Aussie distributor for Koral Kimonos, and a lot of my training partners seem to have bought gis in a number of outlandish colours, so my green and black MKM blends right in :)
    Last edited by NSLightsOut; 9/20/2005 7:42am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 8:42am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am actually asking a question along the same lines in another thread in the General BS section, maybe i can get some of your opinions.

I will start taking BJJ within this month, I have a JJ Gi, but its no name and is not BJJ cut/style. What is the general attitude towards having just a plain white traditional JJ Gi while doing BJJ. Now I probably will buy a better gi later but this one was free and seems like a reasonable choice for a total nuub like me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 8:53am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Does oit have all the grips?
    I am not exactly sure what you mean - the gi has a thick stiched lapelle, and the pants are reinforced at the knees. I guess the only really big difference that I can tell is that the jacket has a larger bottom section - i.e. covers the ass.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you will be fine
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    On the subject, make sure you never ever buy any clothes to wear outside of training that reference your hobby. The only excuse for anybody to be wearing gear like tapout and SFUK, etc is because you were given it as a promotion before your previous fight.
    I wear fight Ts out allt he time. So they dont make me look cool?
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast