Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 9:46am

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    I'd like to up the intensity on bodyweight squats, chip-ups etc.
    Cheep backpacks tend to drop to bits when I use them and I don't want to **** up my hiking gear.
    Oh, and I want to use bar/dumb bell plates for the weight.

Any sugestions?

If you have the cash, you could buy one:

http://physicalfoundation.com/brice/...t?OpenDocument
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 10:57am

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try using a military vest. Like the ones you can get from Blackhawk with magazine pockets. Then use seasoft scuba weights in these pockets. This will be the best weight vest for you. Its what I use and it works great. and you can put more weight in it as you get stronger.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis
    Try using a military vest. Like the ones you can get from Blackhawk with magazine pockets. Then use seasoft scuba weights in these pockets. This will be the best weight vest for you. Its what I use and it works great. and you can put more weight in it as you get stronger.
    I was going to suggest that. I still have my Black Hawk, and it would certainly work well for that. However, I'm pretty sure that it would be expensive to buy as a civilian. It would probably be cheaper to buy an actual weighted vest from Ringside.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt if Vietnam surplus is that expensive these days. He doesn't need hi-tech, he just needs big, evenly distributed pockets. I bet if he looked around on the web for soviet stuff he could get a real bargain.

But Jekyll, if you're going to start working out wearing military surplus gear, you've got to promise not to go weird on us, you know ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 12:28pm

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, Cullion is th3 correct!

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I doubt if Vietnam surplus is that expensive these days. He doesn't need hi-tech, he just needs big, evenly distributed pockets. I bet if he looked around on the web for soviet stuff he could get a real bargain.

But Jekyll, if you're going to start working out wearing military surplus gear, you've got to promise not to go weird on us, you know ?
    How weird is too weird?
    Given that Shawn's been know to turn up in purple 3/4 length combats and a string vest shouting, "Bring on the motherfucking ruckus! We're the wudang clan!", what would it take for me to get noticed?

Cheers for the advise guys.
    At the moment a superglue and duct tape reinforced bag seems to be holding up, but I'm sure I'll be wandering down to an army surplus store in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion

You won't find any Vietnam era blackhawks or similar vests. They wore the basic duece gear then.

As for the vietnam era "flak jackets" that you're talking about, you cannot add weight to them. In fact these are the same basic flak jackets still issued up to a few yerars ago. They were meant to protect from "'flak" or fragmentation, not most rifle rounds. My first flak jacket had no pockets in which to slide the ceramic plates you're talking about. My most recent one, the newer Interceptors do, and I agree they would be great for a weighted vest, but they are extremely expensive and an actual weighted exercise vest would work better. The interceptors restrict overhead motion of your arms slightly.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    How weird is too weird?
    Well, if you start doing your chinups with a bayonet clenched between your teeth 'just to force me to breathe through my nose, man. You know, to develop my Chi', then that would be a bit too weird.

Given that Shawn's been know to turn up in purple 3/4 length combats and a string vest shouting, "Bring on the motherfucking ruckus! We're the wudang clan!"
    You see, I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot to mention his cleanly shaved head.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    And what in the hell is a burpee?
    Noob.

1) From a standing position, squat down and put your hands on the ground.
    2) Bounce back into a push-up position.
    3) Bounce back to the same squatting position you were just in.
    4) Stand up. That's one.

They're the nicer cousin of the eight-count bodybuilder.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast