On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do I make a weighted vest?

I'd like to up the intensity on bodyweight squats, chip-ups etc.
    Cheep backpacks tend to drop to bits when I use them and I don't want to **** up my hiking gear.
    Oh, and I want to use bar/dumb bell plates for the weight.

Any sugestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 5:14pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pay a billion dollars for a real one, sling your punching bag over your shoulders, grab a workout partner and make him the weight, head down to Lowes and buy a sandbag and some cinderblocks, and jump on the trampoline with them, DL the tail end of a PT Cruiser, and push it up a hill, or on a flat surface with a friend steering, become fatter to increase your BW, etc.
    I could go on for hours. I've had the same weights since I was 16. I know how to improvise.

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 5:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can also take a wire hanger and put it through 3 belt loops of an old pair of jeans and hang sandbags from the wire hanger on either side of you for an instant dip belt and chinup weights. and tape a sandbag to the back of an old shirt for pushups.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 5:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sew it up man, don't forget a little padding.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    I could go on for hours. I've had the same weights since I was 16. I know how to improvise.
    But not how to make some kind of weighted vest?
    Ideally I want my hands free so I can do burpies etc. .

Sew it up man, don't forget a little padding.
    Yeh. I've been wrapping the plates in a towel to stop them tearing through the bag or rubbing, but the straps on the bags just tend to ping off as I catch my weight at the end of a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 7:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gave you tons of suggestions. And what in the hell is a burpee?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never tried to make a weighted vest, so I can't help you there.

I think scuba weight belts work great for some of the things you're talking about. Some of the belts are simply webbing and the weights slide on, and I have one that's actually neoprene with pockets all around it so the weights sit inside the pockets. This makes it more comfortable and you can easily move the weights around to distribute them as you choose. It's also very quick and easy to adjust the amount of weight. The biggest problem if you're somewhat limited as to othe amount of weight you can use. It won't be huge poundages, then again, most vests aren't either, and besides that's what the gym is for. You can buy one of these for a few dollars at a pawn shop or a 2nd hand sporting goods store.

As for pullups and chins, I use ankle weights. I've done them with a weighted vest and did them for years with a rope around my waist and a dumbell hanging from the rope. The ankle weights give me a better core workout for sure. Once again ankle weights are really cheap when purchased 2nd hand. But once again, can't go as heavy as a dumbell and rope.
    Last edited by lawdog; 9/18/2005 7:21pm at .

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 3:15am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here :
    http://www.honour.co.uk/catalog/prod...oducts_id=3483

Thread the leather straps through the weights. Remember to sponge it down when you've finished.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 3:19am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a more serious note, I've heard of military types using flak vests as extra weight whilst going over assault courses. Some body armour has huge pockets which you slide the armour plates into, which might be big enough to slide olympic plates into.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/i...opscr3099.html

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 5:17am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do chinups with a filled bucket, and held it on my feet. Lawdog is right that when you have the weight there, you get a good core workout, especially if you focus on keeping everything tight.

I also used a technique where I'd take a leather belt, sit on the stairs with a kettlebell one step belowme, wrap the belt around my waist and thread it through the kettlebell and then do chinups with it dangling between my legs.

At the moment I'm using a backpack with plates in, when I get some cash I'm going to go for a dipping belt, I think is the best way to go for chinups and dips as you can generally lift a lot of weight on these exercises. The backpack is ok for this as there are no jerky movements, but I feel it is reaching the limit of how much weight it can hold.

Lawdog's suggestion of scuba weights is a good one for burpees and bodyweight endurance exercises where you wont be using a lot of weight, and you dont want anything dangling around or crashing about.
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast