Posted On:
    9/18/2005 12:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Review time!

I just bought 3 books.
    The Book Of Muscle(By Men's Health)
    The Testosterone Advantage Plan(By some Men's Health employees)
    and Core Performance(Regularly advertised in Men's Health, but strangely by none of their employees)
    Expect me to bump this topic in a week or so to review them. So far The Book of Muscle is correct, and Core Performance is cool as hell. Do you remember that vacation in Florida I was supposed to go on? I'm on it. My Dad owns a real estate appraisal business and he's rich as hell, and he keeps buying me stuff for my eighteenth birthday. I'm 18 now!

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I own Testosterone Advantage Plan, it's a good diet but that's all it offers.

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ghuten Abent.
    I took a glance at the workout and I'm beginning to draw the same conclusions.

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what it'll tell you, but you can look core performance up on www.coreperformance.com or athletesperformance.com
    I don't have websites for the other 2 yet. I keep reading core performance. It's so freakin' cool! It reminds me of when the concept of dynamic stretching blew my mind on www.trickstutorials.com. Have you seen their flexibility section? Some things I believe about that dynamic stuff, some things I don't. Do not judge books by their cover, because I kept passing up core performance because of the down syndrome guy on the cover.

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, I think I'm going to change my next program. I'm going to do some core stuff with this book, and head down to my local home depot for a 90 pound sandbag and some cinder blocks to make an uneven weight program. It's going to kick ass. And for like 10 dollars too.

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 10:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm almost done reading Core performance. I just got 3 more books: Becoming a Personal Trainer for Dummies by Melyssa St. Michael and Linda Formichelli, Men's Health Best Weight-Free Workout(a 10 dollar book which has appearently no authors) edited by Joe Kita, and Scrawny to Brawny by Michael Mejia and John Berardi.
    It's going to take me a while to read all these books, but I also got the Abs Diet DVD! I'm going to watch it tomorrow! It's gonna stomp ass!

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 12:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That DVD stomped less ass than I thought. So My Abs Diet DVD review: It was solid. The excercises were all strict form and they didn't break form near the end of the excercises. It's basically a workout-along-with-the-DVD kinda DVD, with some nutritional information in there. They did an excercise, stretched, then did the next excercise, which will appeal to much more people that the rather vague Abs Diet workout or the even more vague Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide workouts. It employed dumbells and some excercises I hadn't seen before. My complaint: One set of each excercise. You'd have to watch the same section thrice to get a advanced workout(3X10-12). But the advanced workout contained some rather usefull compound moves that made it shorter, making watching the section thrice a reasonable request. Good ab excercises, form, and advice too. The nutritional information was just a quick touch on what to do, but everyone can follow it. They had recipes and printable recipes, and a stretching section. They didn't superset too correctly though. in terms of overall usefullness on a bullshido member level?
    I'll give it 3.5 muffs out of 7.

P.S. I'm almost done reading Core Performance, and my review will quickly follow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 8:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Lengthen and strengthen your muscles to optimize your alignment and lean body mass, giving you a toned, athletic, and functional physique"

Just a note, you cannot lengthen muscles. If you do, you are damaging them. Muscles contract and relax. That is all they do.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's "Men's Health". They obviously mean lengthen your love muscle.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 9:33am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoguy
    "Lengthen and strengthen your muscles to optimize your alignment and lean body mass, giving you a toned, athletic, and functional physique"

Just a note, you cannot lengthen muscles. If you do, you are damaging them. Muscles contract and relax. That is all they do.
    So what is stretching then?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast