Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 12:39pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    I'm really hoping I didn't tear a disc or anything, I don't think I did, though. It hurt, got better, and then got worse. If it was a torn disc it'd probably be staying injured until I went to a hospital, right?

One more thing. On days when I don't lift, I'm very inactive. Because I'm bulking, I try to stay in one place (I'm a hardgainer with weight). I'm thinking maybe because I lift so intensely on gym days, my muscles need some sort of stimulation on my off days to stretch them out. Could this have contributed to it?

I've always found that doing a little bit of cardio on off-days helps greatly with muscle soreness. If I don't, then I usually am in quite a bit of pain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 2:21pm

Style: TKD, western boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. Mantis, it's the part of the back under the shoulder blades. It's a little better today. I don't get any huge bursts of pain everytime I take a deep breath. Still hurts, though. I think I might make a massage appointment for this.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 2:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds to me like somehting is torn, perhaps this is a sign of over training? It doesn't sound discogenic.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm do you think for today I should force myself to do some kind of physical activity to stretch my muscles out, or should I just lay down so my back isn't stressed?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 3:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it is hurting, take a rest. If there is swelling, put ice on it, 20 min on 20 min off kind of thing. If there is no swelling, but it hurts, put a heating pad on it. Take some ibuprofen. Plan on seeing a doctor.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 6:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Sounds to me like somehting is torn, perhaps this is a sign of over training? It doesn't sound discogenic.
    I figured he would say inside the shoulder blade.

I herniated a cervical disc wrestling in high school. The disc healed up o.k, but the decreased space and resulting minor nerve involvement led to many trigger point muscle spasms in that exact same spot. Basically those muscles were compensating for the decreased disc space, trying to take pressure off the nerve root and that same spot is where the spasm would occur. However, that is a common spot for trigger points, even without disc problems.

Usually it took 1 or 2 massages to release it.

The strangest things would trigger it. Sometimes it would just happen for no apparent reason. Sometimes intense exercise would work it out, but sometimes not. Often a 4 mile run or a swim would take care of it, but it was always a painful experience. The worst was in law school, hanging my head over a book for hours would often trigger it and make studying even more painful than it was otherwise.

This lasted about 15 years, on and off, then just went away. It hasn't really happend in at least 5 years. I think working my traps and neck helped, but i'm not sure.

My advice would still be massage, then if it doesn't resolve, get it checked out by an MD. I'd also consider accupuncture, like Quickfeet said. I have no personal experience with it, but I know many people who've experienced positive results with trigger point problems.

The ice is also a good suggestion. Conventional wisdom is heat if it's a trigger point, but I actually had much better luck with ice. I also had good luck with isometric exercises (basically just flexing) that area really hard several times in a row.

If it were me, I'd probably workout light, but I'd pay close attention to it, and if you get any tingling or numbness, stop and see the doc. You'd be surprised at how beneficial exercise can be for working out trigger points, if that's indeed what you have. If it feels like it's getting worse, then it might be a tear like mantis said. If that's the case, you'll need to take some time off to let it heal.
    Last edited by lawdog; 9/18/2005 6:53pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's two days later, and it's tons better. There's still some discomfort, but I can move and bend freely. Should I go ahead with the massage thing? I definitely am gonna take a break from heavy deadlifts and squats, as much I hate to say that.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    It's two days later, and it's tons better. There's still some discomfort, but I can move and bend freely. Should I go ahead with the massage thing? I definitely am gonna take a break from heavy deadlifts and squats, as much I hate to say that.
    If there's still some discomfort there, the massage can help. Then again, in a few more days it might resolve completely and you can save your $40-$60. This may very well be a recurring thing though like it was with me. For your sake I hope not.

As for a break from squats and deadlifts, you know your body better than anyone and if you have a sense that will benefit you, then you should go with your instinct. The earlier you learn to "listen" to your body, the more likely you'll be to avoid the mistakes so many of us made throughout our careers.

You might consider doing some fairly light to medium weight cable rows and really squeezing the hell out of your upper back at the peak of the movement. This used to help mine release. I'm also fairly certain shrugs has helped to prevent it, but I'm not positive.

Once again, if any of that feels like it's making it worse, DO NOT push through the pain. The "no pain, no gain" philosophy doesn't apply to rehabing injuries. At least, for the most part it doesn't apply, especially if you're doing it on your own as opossed to under the supervision of a PT.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12