Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 9:55pm

Style: TKD, western boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bad back injury

As I'm typing this I'm sitting with a pillow on my chair and my upper-back in extreme pain. The only way it doesn't hurt is if I lie down, but I have to finish my shake.

It started about a week ago, after a hard squat day. My legs were sore as hell, but my back was fine afterwards. Two days later, I'm sitting down and eating breakfast, when all of a sudden, BAM, my back hurts. It was pretty sudden. And I didn't make any sudden movements or anything. I just stood up and that's when it happened.

I was pretty immobile for a few days, so I did stretches, took baths, and went in the sauna at the gym. It got much better, so I think I'm good to go for deadlift day. I put up 315 lbs, and then I realize my back is starting to hurt again. Rather than risk injury, I decide to play it safe and skip the back workout.

Now today. It's been a week and I thought I was completely fine. I'm doing my squat workout, and then at the very very end, on my first attempt at calf raises, my back starts hurting. And it gets worse and worse. Now I'm sitting here and it hurts to simply exist.

I'm very anal about proper form, so I don't think it's because of the squats. I keep my back straight, and I go all the way down. And even if I was using improper form, you'd think it would be my lower back. The pain is just in my upper-left back muscle. Any ideas?

Would you reccomend a massage session for this? My friend Rene told me I should try it out last year because it helps with muscle soreness, and I was like "No way." Now it sounds like it might help me out.

I tried to do stretches but I can't bend all the way to touch my feet anymore. I'll take a hot shower and see if I can do it then. Any other suggestions?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doc...tor...?

PL

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There could be several things causing that. I've had similar problems off and on for years.

You could have a cervical disk injury. You could simply have a trigger point/muscle spasm. You could have a disk injury with neuropathy causing a trigger point. You could even have a tear, but I doubt it. From what you describe, my guess is trigger point/muscle spasm maybe/maybe not caused by a cervical disc problem.

This could definitely be triggered by squats or deadlifts. Your upper back is engaged much more than you realize during those lifts.

Seeing a doc. is always good advice.

I highly recommend massage. I believe it's one of the most underrated modalities out there, especially for your symptoms. If you can afford it, I'd do 3 or 4 nueromuscular massages with a good therapist, preferrably one who works on pro. athletes. If it's still bothering you, then I'd get it checked out by a doc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm really hoping I didn't tear a disc or anything, I don't think I did, though. It hurt, got better, and then got worse. If it was a torn disc it'd probably be staying injured until I went to a hospital, right?

One more thing. On days when I don't lift, I'm very inactive. Because I'm bulking, I try to stay in one place (I'm a hardgainer with weight). I'm thinking maybe because I lift so intensely on gym days, my muscles need some sort of stimulation on my off days to stretch them out. Could this have contributed to it?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If something tore, I'd think it would have gotten really swollen... but, I don't know for sure. :P

Only if you didn't give your muscles enough time to rest. Stretching is always a good idea, though.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 2:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh I gave my muscles over a week to rest. And I'm completely incapable of stretching because I'm physically unable to bend. It's not that I'm saying "Owie it hurts, I'm not gonna stretch." I seriously can't bend enough to touch my toes or raise my arms too high in this state.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 2:34am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I pulled some lower back muscles myself, kept lifting.

I actually ripped a disc and now have a portruding L5 which causes nerve impingement to my legs. When it's bad, I can barely stand up or walk.

Do yourself a favor, get checked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    I'm really hoping I didn't tear a disc or anything, I don't think I did, though. It hurt, got better, and then got worse. If it was a torn disc it'd probably be staying injured until I went to a hospital, right?
    No. Depending on many factors, it will also come and go. In fact, many disc injuries aren't even noticed for months, and sometimes years, depending on the injury.
    One more thing. On days when I don't lift, I'm very inactive. Because I'm bulking, I try to stay in one place (I'm a hardgainer with weight). I'm thinking maybe because I lift so intensely on gym days, my muscles need some sort of stimulation on my off days to stretch them out. Could this have contributed to it?
    You're absolutely correct. That information combined with the fact that you said you are too tight too stretch makes perfect sense to me.

I would highly recommend you do soemthing on your off days. If you're worried about burning too many calories, then just go at a low intensity. I also highly recommend you begin stretching immediately after your workouts. Full body, not just legs. It has been proven that stretching immediately after lifting increases gains, plus it's going to help you with your problem.

Personally, I stretch after my workout, and I swim the following day. The "day after" swim is a fairly easy swim, unlike most of my swims, and meant to increase recovery more so than give me a good workout. It works too. My recovery time is much quicker. You obviously don't want to tear down much tissue on your off days, but it's definitely beneficial to move around.

If swimming isn't for you, maybe consider yoga. You'll have a tough time at first, but it will come. We have a couple former fire fighters, one former marine, and a former cop in my yoga class who could barely bend at all when they started, now, 6 months later, they're as good as anybody in there.

I'm not sure how old you are, but your current routine is going to give you major problems as you get older, especially if you can't even bend right now.

Let us know what happens, especially if you try massage. And don't worry too much, disc damage. It really sucks, but it isn't the end of the world. I've herniated 3 and I'm still training. You just need to treat it properly and be smart about how you train.
    Last edited by lawdog; 9/18/2005 10:24am at .

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    I just stood up and that's when it happened.
    Hmmm wierd, but if it's a successive accumilation kind of thing, you just didn't feel the pain until then.

The pain is just in my upper-left back muscle. Any ideas?
    Like in the left shoulder? Any numbness or tingling, pain radiating down the arm?

Would you reccomend a massage session for this?
    I wouldn't reccommend any treatment until you know what the problem is, you need to see a sports medicine guy, or internal medicine, or a trauma doc if you know any.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 12:36pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    There could be several things causing that. I've had similar problems off and on for years.

You could have a cervical disk injury. You could simply have a trigger point/muscle spasm. You could have a disk injury with neuropathy causing a trigger point. You could even have a tear, but I doubt it. From what you describe, my guess is trigger point/muscle spasm maybe/maybe not caused by a cervical disc problem.

This could definitely be triggered by squats or deadlifts. Your upper back is engaged much more than you realize during those lifts.

Seeing a doc. is always good advice.

I highly recommend massage. I believe it's one of the most underrated modalities out there, especially for your symptoms. If you can afford it, I'd do 3 or 4 nueromuscular massages with a good therapist, preferrably one who works on pro. athletes. If it's still bothering you, then I'd get it checked out by a doc.

Acupuncture on the trigger points would have a quicker effect (usually 1 session), but laying down and getting a painful massage is usually more fun. I also believe massage is very underrated, which is why I get them sometimes from my ex-wife. One word: awkward. But it helps.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast