Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/05/2008 12:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido, TSKSR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Also, i think judo/b.j.j would be a more effective combination, because judo throws actually throw someone..."

Well.....
    This statement sounds like your saying that aikido throws DON'T actually work.
    You should train with better aikidoists.

Spend some time with the right folks and you will see that good ukemi is NEEDED to save your bacon, and when they want you to fall, you will.

True, there is a LOT of hippy, reactive BS aikido out there, with LOTS of people giving ukemi and ready to fly at the slightest hint of technical bafoonery, er,... I mean, um, technique.
    But there are also folks who train proactively, with movement directly to the center, and a concept of good atemi lines and how to actually hit, and the training then becomes about technical workmanship, not just bludgeoning each other.

I have to say, I get a little tired of viewing all of the "aikido sucks" stuff in here, mostly spouted by folks who seemingly have little or no training in aikido, just observations. This attitude, of course, is a reaction to the plethora of folks Youtubing their crappy technique.
    I am NOT saying that I myself grasp the great secrets of the art or am good at any of it. I am a student with only a decade and a half behind me, but I have felt and seen people DO real technique, just as hard throwing as I got in Judo years ago, and have been hit as hard as in my Karate training, as limited as it was.

I will get on in here in a day or so and give my BS about what I think the training is, if folks somehow think it is important, but for god's sake stop bashing the art wholesale. If you are gonna bash it, be specific at least, and show some shred of knowledge as to WHY aikido folks have magic pants, funky gripping-the-wrists attacks, and oddball, not real striking methods!
    I am not trying to start another fight in here, just givning some feedback.
    :)

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    3/05/2008 1:47am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to clarify my comments...

I was not intending to bash Aikido wholesale. Just explaining one experience I have had. But, I also have a buddy who trains Aikido (and later BJJ in tandem), and he is quite good.

I am aware that Aikido, like any art, has a wide spectrum of flavors (but the hippy stuff get much attention).

Posted On:
    3/05/2008 7:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Triangles
    This one happens to be true (pending a massive skill/ability diffence). Many of the things used back in the day are no longer used, even more of the things in Gracie Books are not what they would show you if you did a class.
    That's my point. Generally it's not a good idea to extend your arms in someone's guard, but if you are much better than them/bigger than them/are very aware of the risks involved and ready for them, it's a viable technique. One of my very skilled training partners regularly opens the guard with a rape choke. Could a newbie get away with that? Absolutely not. But my friend knows the risks, he monitors the hips, and he's ready to bail out should the technique go wrong.

I certainly wouldn't teach newbies to do it and would actively try and stop them but I think absolutist statements like "Never do this, you'll always get armbarred" result in people who are lax about defending choke attempts in their guard and others missing out on what might be a viable technique for them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2008 5:09pm

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used Tsuki Komi Jime (Thrusting choke) from the guard before. As I Judo guy who sometimes cross trains BJJ (when I'm flush with cash) I used this choke from the guard on a blue belt. They warned me not to do it. I ignored them and drove their adams apple back into their spine making them tap on two separate occassions. If you balance yourself right you don't necessarily give the arm bar away. It just takes a bit of feeling. Sometimes when they try an arm bar the action gives you the chance of a guard pass.

Back on topic I think that Aikidoka's choice of arm bar for the photo shoot is a little suspect.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 4:34am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forget BJJ if its just at this place. Learn some wrestling, find a boxing gym, go to take Judo, anything else until you can find a good BJJ school. If theres a wrestling or Judo club, you'll be in a great position. Just join up then get some guys who wanna work submissions too and you mat knowledge will make it easier to learn BJJ through video.

****, start a club up at a YMCA or some place you can use mats. Get some vids and start learning. Yeah, you'll need a lot of time but it can be done. Just make sure you go to a few tournaments after some training.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please read the text in the book. It says that this choke is generally done from the mount. That it can be performed in the guard, particularly if you are trying to open the legs, but caution should be used. So, really, there is alittle disaggrement.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345