Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 1:03pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beneath Contempt
    4) The mix of BJJ and aikido seems very unusual to me. Aikido is known for it's quasi-religious vision, lack of contact, traditions and unhealthy reliance on ki. BJJ (as another Judo/JJ offshoot) is completely the other direction. You would assume that the creators of this Nihon Aikido would go to Judo/JJ and incorporating the original Japanese techniques and training methodologies before attempting something as alien (in terms of philosophy) as BJJ..
    Actually, there's a surprising amount of cross training between Aikido and BJJ. One person (not me, I hasten to say, but I'm no good at either) has even described high level BJJ as "Aikido on the ground." Some notable Aikidoka who advocated cross training BJJ with Aikido include Roy Dean or Mits Yamashita.....

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 1:36pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Their caption:
    A Choke-Hold using the attacker's own clothing.

My caption:
    A armbar, just waiting to happen.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That picture right there is all you need. But please feel free to necro some other old threads (to the original necromancer)

http://www.aikidobuff.com/Site%20Pix...x/triangle.jpg

How's your broken ankle doing?

The thing with pictures is that they should at least be technically correct.
    Last edited by cyrijl; 3/03/2008 2:23pm at .
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 2:32pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sui generis
    ... seems like they re blending Aikido + Bjj ... which should mean they do Bjj on the ground, what is a plus ... but this probably also means that they use Aikido for getting people to the ground ... which only means one thing : r u n :sad5:
    I don't know, I'm not willing to write off Aikido just yet. It's still untested and by that I mean a school that trains it in an alive format could show that it actually is the real thing or it isn't. Until I see footage of an Aikido school sparring with resisting opponents I'm going to reserve judgement. I will say this tho: If Aikido wants to survive in the future it will have to make this step. Get soft mats at your school and start trying to throw eachother.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 3:16pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm..

Funny how this guy assumes the title "soke" - a very old and very often misused and misunderstood title - for a gendai (modern) partly self invented system. That made me laugh, however; the name he's adopted just doesn't really make any sense.

NIHON GOSHINJUTSU AIKIDO ASSOCIATION (KAI --ed)

Japan self defense art/technique of harmony, spirit way association

1, The association isn't either in Japan or Japanese by origin
    2, "Soke" does not mean founder or head of..
    3, The mixing of "jutsu" and "do" in this case is a language fopar

--Dave

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 7:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido, TSKSR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simio wrote:
    2, "Soke" does not mean founder or head of..

Unless I am misremebering, I believe you have to actually BE JAPANESE to even be a "Soke" anyhow. Doesn't the word infer a Nihonjin who creates his school?
    (Makes that whole "World Soke Council" thing even more rediculous!)

Ah well, it is hard for folks who don't know Nihongo to use the words. Especially since so many Budo type terms don't even have a place in Japanese language TO the Japanese people themselves. (Imagine a Japanese person trying to set up a Law firm to sell his services to the Japanese, using his broken english and some of those obscure Legalese words we have pulled from Latin and elsewhere. You can be sure mistakes would happen.

American martial artists do this TITLE thing all the time, and usually wrong. For example:
    How many "Sensei Smith" titles are out there? In Japanese that title would come AFTER the name, not before, and the individual would not refer to himself AS the title either.
    JMHO

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 7:15am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi mate,

Where do you study TSKSR ?

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 8:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    This is actually technique 14 in Renzo and Royler's "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique"

Seriously. Page 56. Go look. I'll wait.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 8:27am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny Aikido story...

This guy comes to try my class. He says he has done Aikido for 10 years. I say "OK cool...you know how to roll and fall, etc". Yes of course. So, we are doing warm-ups, he rolls and falls beautifully like one would expect from an Aikido guy. After warm-up, he looks a bit tired. So, in any event, we move on to the technique portion of the class. I decide (as I often do when we have guests) to cover some basics. "Today, let's review your basic hip throw" I say...and I ask if my guest would like to demonstrate with my.

OK, and here is where I was trying not to laugh, he comes to the center of the mat with me and I make some talking points about hip throws and I lock grips with him. He literally flies over me as soon as I touch him. I felt like O'sensei in all those old film of him just flinging people around...LOL.

I chuckle and say..."OK, let me demonstrate how to set it up. Please don't fall for me". So, I walk through the basic grips, hip movements, footwork, etc. Then I tell him I will throw him lightly. So, again, I grip him and WHOOOOOSH...he flies over me again...LOL. I am like..."OK, PLEASE let me throw you. Don't help me. Just stand there." ...Same thing again.

The guy literally had such a difficult time with ACTUALLY being thrown that I could not demonstrate the throw. Even when he tried to let me throw him, his instinct was to throw himself. It just did not work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2008 10:06am

Style: judo/tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a legit Judo choke, tsukome jime I think it is called. Works pretty well as standing face on choke especially against noobs.
    Would not work as shown in the guard if the opponent has more than a weeks experience.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast