Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    but... but... it's not my fault! um, i was never taught for some reason. i was very rarely taken to swimming pools when i was a kid. i'd feel kinda stupid going somewhere to ask how to swim, and i really don't enjoy getting in the pool. i just don't like it. i would like to learn though, i'm trying to think of ways to do it.
    It's not your fault that you didn't learn as a child, but it is your fault that you still don't know how, as an adult.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I know what you mean about asking people to teach you. I was a beach lifeguard for 4 years and I met many adults who could not swim. I used to offer to teach them b/c I knew they would never get the nerve to ask anybody. Even when I offered they were usually still too embarrased. A few took me up on my offer and it usually only took a few hours to teach them the basic strokes and get them to where they were relatively comfortable in the water. After that, it's up to them to progress further.

I really think the biggest hurdle is the mental block, once you overcome that the basic strokes are relatively simple.

Remember too that living by the water and not knowing how to swim you are jeaopardizing the safety of others. If you were to fall off a bridge or find yourself by some other means in the water, a bystander would most likely attempt to rescue you. This not only puts others at risk, it also essentially puts your life in the hands of somebody else. Something I would certainly never want to do if I didn't have to.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're right.

but the water is so cold... and wet... and gay, and it looks french. in fact, i'd call it un-australian. communist even.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're right.

but the water is so cold... and wet... and gay, and it looks french. in fact, i'd call it un-australian. communist even.
    Well, I certainly can't argue with that. :pool:
    Last edited by lawdog; 9/18/2005 11:36pm at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 12:23am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're right.

It's blue, not red.

PL

**** you math class

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 1:14am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's blue, then it's a Democrat.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123