Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G.R. Bug
    I ride a bike to and from work five days a week (about 10 miles round trip). My feeling is that biking has one serious drawback as a conditioning exercise, which is -- unless you're riding on a track, a trail, really undertraveled road, or up the same hill again and again, it's too dangerous to ride at the kind of pace that would provide a good workout.

I deliberately ride slow much of the time because so many drivers, pedestrians, motorcyclists, bicyclists, etc. do so many crazy fuckin' things and I need time to perceive the hazards and deal with them. (I have a near miss an average of once a month). As it is, I get a nice, moderate workout (somewhere between 40-60 minutes per day, depending on how I catch the traffic lights), but a decent 20-minute jog would be a much better workout, IMHO.
    I agree with that, which is why I don't particularly like cycling, and I'd be glad if triathlons became biathlons and dropped the cycling. It's not a problem of pace, it's a problem of distance. I have no problem averaging 20 mph, but for me to get a good workout on the bike, I usually cover 12-15 miles minimum, and sometimes 25-30. Around here, it's impossible to do even 10 miles without spending some of that time on busy roads, and therefore, it's extremely dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckyokushin
    IMO.I have to say that swimmimg is the best low-impact exercise that you could do that works the whole body.Arms, legs and middle frame .Which is something that Cycling does not do.You will see Olympic swimmers who look in better shape because they do mostly swimming.
    Generally speaking, I think there is no question that swimming is a better all around workout, especially for MA. I swim 6-8 miles a week and will never, ever give that up. Not only do I enjoy it, I also believe it has helped my MA more than any other cross training activity, except maybe lifting weights, and I'm not even sure about that.

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 2:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been riding a BMX since i was 8. I can honestly say that riding a bike at high speeds has increased my ability to react in a short amount of time.

I have an asthmatic condition that prevents me from running any kind of long distance ( But i can sprint like the wind, so you can't run from me :new_vampv )
    though I can ride the little single-speed BMX across town in under an hour, no problem.
    The single gear makes for high intensity workout as soon as there's an incline.

I do agree that it is dangerous though. Somebody said they average one near-miss accident a month? Try living in vancouver, it'd be more like 4 a day.

Yeah, Swimming is the best. I should do that more often. Less chance of getting hit by a car too :lol:

And if anybody knows of that bone-density study, i'd like to see it. My room-mate is a bicycle courier and would be interesed as well.
    Last edited by Neildo; 9/17/2005 2:39pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 12:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unfortunately i can't swim. i have recently moved to a place which is very close to the beach, so maybe i'll learn.

i was thinking of riding about 20km. it's also a very hilly area.

i've also been running along the beach, which is quite fun.

now, call me crazy, but a couple of months after i bought my bike (just for transport, really) and started riding around my kicks became stronger. a friend even said there was a difference in my kicks. i've never had large legs, but they have increased in size a bit over the last year.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 1:13am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't even know how? Aren't you worried you might horribly drown if you fell in the water?

I like biking in the gym on the stationary bikes better then I like running on a treadmill, but I like running better then I like biking in the open. I'm an odd one.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 3:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Aren't you worried you might horribly drown if you fell in the water?
    yes, but i can thrash about enough to get out of a swimming pool, and i can stay above water for a few minutes, but i really don't know what i'm doing in there. so i stay away from water. i don't like getting in water anyway... i think that i should try to learn one day though.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 10:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    yes, but i can thrash about enough to get out of a swimming pool, and i can stay above water for a few minutes, but i really don't know what i'm doing in there. so i stay away from water. i don't like getting in water anyway... i think that i should try to learn one day though.
    Listen Danno, you need to learn how to swim. There's no excuse for an adult not being able to swim. Not only will it provide you with a phenomenal means of cross training (especially if you're a beginner), it might also save your life someday.

I would highly recommend though that you learn in a pool and take some lessons to learn proper stroke technique. I would not try to teach yourself in open water.

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 4:48pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got halfway through the first page before wandering if you can recover from martial arts with other martial arts, or if you did 3 martial arts were you a triathlete, or are there long distance martial artists who train to do like, forms with 1 billion movements, or people who warm up for their workout by doing one martial art and cool down with another, or even fill up their weight training time with a heavy martial art, or certain martial arts create certain imbalances in your body over time and you have to take 2 or 3 more to compensate, then I began to realize that I wasn't reading the posts at all anymore.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 6:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    I got halfway through the first page before wandering if you can recover from martial arts with other martial arts
    or if you did 3 martial arts were you a triathlete, or are there long distance martial artists who train to do like, forms with 1 billion movements, or people who warm up for their workout by doing one martial art and cool down with another, or even fill up their weight training time with a heavy martial art, or certain martial arts create certain imbalances in your body over time and you have to take 2 or 3 more to compensate, then I began to realize that I wasn't reading the posts at all anymore.
    Yes Bao, you are correct. :new_all_c

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 7:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    There's no excuse for an adult not being able to swim.
    but... but... it's not my fault! um, i was never taught for some reason. i was very rarely taken to swimming pools when i was a kid. i'd feel kinda stupid going somewhere to ask how to swim, and i really don't enjoy getting in the pool. i just don't like it. i would like to learn though, i'm trying to think of ways to do it.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    9/18/2005 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't learn to swim until I was 14 or 15. I dunno how I did it, I just suddenly started floating instead of sinking. =S

I just stayed in the shallow waters at the beach and just kinda tried to stay afloat. After a while (like half an hour) I could just stay afloat and then I started to work on actually swimming.

PL
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast