UAAAH!

Posted On:
    9/16/2005 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the stories.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/16/2005 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's great.

I was invited to one sparring session in which I took on 3 black belts and 1 brown belt and "wiped the floor" with all of them one after another (1 on 1 sparring, just multiple sessions), granted they were really fast with their hands, although didn't use their deadly techniques. Except for the brown belt, who decided that the match starts when I bow. I bowed, and then he backfisted me in the face to which I replied with an axe kick to his face. Then soon afterwards a sidekick into his armor (yes, he was seriously wearing armor.). The only one who really gave me trouble, was their top black belt of the school, who had extremely fast hands and blocked most of my attacks, I eventually just sweeped his leg and got a HUGE blister on my foot (they like to train on carpet with bare feet, cheap carpet too) and we ended it there.
    Last edited by King Sleepless; 9/22/2005 1:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 12:27am

Style: shou shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where do i start?i took it for a lot longer then you did and i believed in it... as do all of the other practitioners it doesnt do much for grappling granted but neither does any other kung fu or karate except for bjj or wrestling, maybe aikido i dont know where you studied at but we did spar albeit with head gear and pads etc...the style isnt much different from tracy kenpo(pretty much the same techniques) you may not be able to fight off 20 attackers at once but i bet you are better fighter then when you started remember the system is only as good as the student....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 12:32am

Style: shou shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    let me qualify this to by saying that alot of the claims are very outlandish da'shifu was an outstanding fighter but saying that you can take 12 opponents at one time is proposterous most of the time i am fortunate to get my ass unhurt against one i understand where you are coming from but you should have a reasonable bullshit meter and listen to that.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 1:46am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds an awful lot like my Temple Kung Fu experience, and I wonder if there wasn't some standard business model handed down from Ed Parker. That would explain an awful lot.

I noticed that trfcrugby echoed back some of the thoughts I had -- even as a naive young'in. The first was that a lot of the moves seemed excessive. Instructors seemed to feel really badass when they taught you a sequence involving several maiming techniques. However, I always thought to myself, "What if I don't want to hurt the other guy that seriously? What if I just want to end things gently?" I didn't feel as if I had an option.

The other thing that was on my mind a lot was the notion that I would never be able to ID a specific striking attack while it was en route and then come up with the prescribed string of techniques. The whole theory of being able to do so just seemed so unlikely. For a while, I assumed that it was my own level that was the problem and I guess you could make that argument but . . .

Anyhoo, I'm glad that you got out of there and have moved on to more productive things. It would probably be good for you to go visit and then do some friendly sparring, but it's probably too much to hope for that they would ever consent to something like that.
    Last edited by Bang!; 9/17/2005 1:49am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 9:49pm

Style: Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually Shou Shu covers everything, Mantis is a grappling master

ive used Shou Shu many times on the street and smoked attackers

o well

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see a video of 2 Shou Shu'ers sparring.

PL

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 10:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow Rugby, you remember stuff from 1988?? I can barely remember the biochem I just studied before taking a break and reading your beautiful Shou Shu experience piece.

Can we move that into an article/review section? That's a very good account I think. As for the Shou Shu'ers on the board, you could help your statements if you posted some sort of video or evidence of your resistive training - maybe some tournament footage or something?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 2:35am

Style: Long Fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by massattack
    actually Shou Shu covers everything, Mantis is a grappling master

ive used Shou Shu many times on the street and smoked attackers

o well
    How does the Shou Shu Mantis grapple? What principles?
    Last edited by Shaolin LngFst; 9/20/2005 2:42am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2005 9:58am

Style: Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin LngFst
    How does the Shou Shu Mantis grapple? What principles?
    heres a site that talks about each Shou Shu animal, however, the people at Sheng Chi are no longer with the Moores, dont know why

http://www.shengchikungfu.com/beasts.htm
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast