Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It means I walk in and say, I want to challenge 8-10 of your guys - and Im stackin up bodies!

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 11:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    It means I walk in and say, I want to challenge 8-10 of your guys - and Im stackin up bodies!
    Or bertter still, walk in with eight guys and say, "stack us up!"
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 12:44pm

Style: BJJ / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastApprentice
    Door is always open.

funny thing about you is that you were a purple belt with no concept of the art itself. your level of knowledge sucked. i would much rather kick with the ball of my foot than the top and break those little bones in there. you were far from knowing anything. it wasnt bad habits Shou Shu gave you its the bad habits you already had, your instructor wanted your money so thats why you were there for two yrs and only made it to purple.

Im sorry i just cant believe the load of crap this guy is spewing out. everything you now refer back to is the cagefighting. so its an apple and oranges coversation.

again Door is always open.

BA
    So the instructor I had is still around, so does that mean that Shou Shu is just in it for the money? And who said to kick with the top of your foot? Ever seen a Muay Thai guy kick? Shin, not foot. I guess that's not right, either.

And what bad habits did I already have? I didn't sit at home and think up cross steps and crane stances, my friend. And I certainly didn't decide to use chop blocks all on my own.

So, in summary: I was useless, but my instructor kept me around and promoted me, just for my money. He still runs a school according to the Moore's website I saw.

Now let's examine the promotion schedule.

Day 0 - White belt, no stripes.
    6 months - White belt, three stripes, promote to Orange belt
    12 months - Orange belt, three stripes, promote to Purple belt
    Around 20 months of training - Purple belt, three stripes, ready to test for Blue

Now I don't recall the exact dates I was promoted, but getting almost 4 belts in 24 months seems ok to me. If they have sped it up, then that's fine. But at the time, I was in a normal path. Obviously, it should take longer to get each subsequent belt, as the material gets more advanced. Remember, I didn't "just" make purple, I had three stripes and was ready for Blue.

I moved away, and since then have moved on to other things, but even when I was there, a few things bothered me. The multiple attacker theory, the total lack of a ground game.

Oh well, I think this thread has proven my point exactly. And add to that the fact that the instructor I had is still in the system, how have things changed? I'll have to make a trip back to the school for myself on some weekend when I have nothing better to do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 6:32pm

Style: Shou Shu, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    R-Rated (Sorry, a little frustrated):

Ugh! F'in Morons. Every once in a while I do a search on Shou Shu and EVERY time I read the posts the people that train in the art come across as the biggest pricks. Everyone that trains in Shou Shu needs to grow the F up. I trained under Da Shifu and was well into my tigers when I left. In my experience, Da Shifu was a very nice guy. BUT, there is nothing mystical to the art. It is very similar to Chinese Kempo, and don't fuckin flame me for saying it, I LOOKED INTO IT, I KNOW! I TRAINED IN SHOU SHU FOR NEARLY 10 YEARS, I KNOW!

The absolute worst thing about the art is the complete arrogance that is instilled in you (read the previous posts, need I say more). What really aggravates me about trfcrugby's post is that IT'S TRUE! 99% of the instructors just blab on about how bad ass they are...I know because I did it! And I couldn't help it because that's how everyone behaved, I thought that was what you did when you taught people. I look back on the experience now, shake my head and think "What a fuckin dumbass I was".

Believe it or not, I actually know people that went out to pick fights so that they could test their skills. Can you believe that! How idiotic! The funny thing about is it never worked because they were to chickenshit to actually throw a punch at someone.

And what the **** is this about being able to take on 12 people crap?! I don't care if you are Da Shifu Moore, Da Shifu Moore Jr., Shun Shifu Clark...it's BULLSHIT! 3 maybe, but only because one would run away. I absolutely, guarantee that if two TRAINED fighters went up against a black belt from Shou Shu that they would win. I would even cover my eyes if I saw a black belt in Shou Shu step into a ring with a black belt in BJJ. EVEN with no rules. Break bones, gauge an eye, I don't care...the Shou Shu'ist will probably go down.

"But Shou Shu trains against street defense!" WTF!? What it really trains against is a half-drunk mugger, an arrogant teenager, or someone that knows NOTHING about fighting but is so down on their luck that they are actually resorting to crime. The hardcore guys on the street know EXACTLY what they are doing and are used to taking punishment, Shou Shu may help you, but it may not.

I will defend some of the art though. The hard and soft aspects of the art are very cool. Creating power with shift of center, rotation and weapon velocity, is also very cool. These are things that a lot of arts don't do. The techniques and forms, eh, I really understand people's frustrations with the idea. What they are really intended to do is get a practitioner comfortable with opponents throwing punches and kicks. I certainly would never actually do a technique on someone, but I do appreciate the fact that I was able to train against the repetition of a hook or jab coming at me.

Blah, anyway, I apologize on behalf of the whiney Shou Shu'ists. There actually are some people that took that art that have a very good history with other fighting arts and know the arts limits.

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 7:18pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG!!!!! There is actually a Shou shoo guy in the MD throwdown threads criticizing our mutiple opponenent fight.

wants jade ring

Posted On:
    11/04/2005 9:22pm

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eau De Beast,
    I went through a similar situation in a martial arts school once and left for some of the reasons you mention. If you still have an interest in chinese martial arts, and are in the central valley, pm or email me.
    -Inde

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 11:45pm

Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eau De Beast-

There is a lot of truth in what you said, and you definitely know more than I, as I only reached low green before being forced to stop training years ago. There was a lot of arrogance back in the late 80's, but there were a lot of good people, too. I guess it depended on where you trained.

Shou Shu has a lot of great aspects, and I enjoyed it. It seemed to me to be a very competent fighting system, and I didn't care about the origins of the art. I would like to get back into it myself, but that is a little challenging right now. I hope to start training again soon.

What are your thoughts on Krav Maga?
    Last edited by El Diablo; 11/26/2005 10:21am at . Reason: Correction

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 12:09pm

Style: Shou Shu, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Diablo,

Yes, you are 100% correct. I met many, many good people that I wish I had kept in contact with. I too think about getting back into it, but I am in Southern California and there are no schools within 2 hours of me, oh well. As for Krav Maga, it's OK. To be honest, I don't go much anymore, and I initially went for the workout. Physically, the classes are extremely difficult to get through at times...they really kick your butt. For self defense I think it is probably pretty good. The U.S. Military learned many decades ago that a well placed jab was one of the most effective tools in hand to hand combat. Krav Maga was supposed to have been honed on the battlefields of the middle east, and they don't waste time or energy with much more than basic punching and kicking. A LOT of police officers train at the Krav Maga center in West Los Angeles, which (I think) speaks to effectiveness of the system.

Some of the bad aspects: most of the "experienced" instructors have serious egos. No one seems to know why they teach the things they are teaching. For example, I often hear "turn your body when you throw your punch", but very seldom is there any explanation for doing it. There are a few other things, but they are more annoying than anything else so I won't go into detail.

Overall, if you want something that doesn't require a lot of techniques to learn and forces you to fight hard for an hour...then check it out. As I said, for me it is more of a transitional art that gives me a very good workout until I find something I really enjoy.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 3:01am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastApprentice

You actually thought the fighting stance was suppose to be used in a fight, you deserved having your ass handed to you by your buddies.
    I haven't read the whole thread yet, but this is cracking me up.

The fighting stance isn't supposed to be used for fighting? What is it used for then? Why do they call it the "fighting stance"?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 11:57am

Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc
    And when they can't back up their claims, they'll redirect blame and try to put light on something else to try to distract us as they sweep their dust under the carpet.

I.e. calling me out.
    Actually, you were called out due to claims you were making about "wiping the floor" with Shou Shu black belts while sparring. You backed off those claims and tried to beg off once you were called on it, but you never really were clear on whether you did or did not "wipe the floor" with anybody. You were invited to attempt to recreate this encounter, but you wouldn't take the challenge. Luckily, your fellow Shou Shu bashers jumped in, and some questions were asked of you, but by and large, you were let off the hook.

Sorry all, I know this post by Sirc was old, but it stuck in my craw.

As far as Shou Shu itself, my experience with the art was good. There are some zealous believers, but I've seen enough great stuff from the black belts that I can't just automatically dismiss their claims. I think a lot of the problems in this thread extends from misperceptions on both sides, IMHO, but I don't think there will be any resolution to that issue.

The origin of the art is murky, but I don't care. It seems to be pretty effective to me on teh str33t, which is all I care about. I just want to defend my family and myself, and it works for that quite well. If I want to cage fight, I'll train specifically for that. It does seem that Shou Shu ground fighting is limited, so if I feel that I need that, I will pursue it elsewhere. I don't think that it is disputed that Shou Shu is primarily a striking art. I may be wrong, as I am not a black belt, so I welcome any correction by a higher rank Shou Shuist.
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20212223 ... LastLast