Page 16 of 25 First ... 6121314151617181920 ... Last
  1. #151
    Poop Loops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Americastan
    Posts
    10,025
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Defend" against it is not the same as beating multiple attackers. Defending could be simply avoiding.

    There's limiting yourself by telling yourself you can't do something and then there's being reasonable by saying "no, I CANNOT outrun a train" or I cannot beat up 10 guys at once.

    PL

  2. #152
    Yrkoon9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Land of the Living
    Posts
    4,593
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately all credibility you had been gathering over the last few pages just got shot down by that one 'pile of bodies' idiot.

  3. #153
    Poop Loops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Americastan
    Posts
    10,025
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's true, though. People will be KILLING THEMSELVES AND EACHOTHER, just so they don't have to fight him. He's that good.

    PL

  4. #154
    WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction. Join us... or die
    EternalRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,360
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastApprentice
    I will state that the opinions of multiple opponents is based on the individual student or black belt. At no time does a Shun Shifu or Shihan or Da' Shifu tell us that we can go out and beat 10 opponents at once. the training we recieve gives us the ability to spot and react and respond to potential attacks.
    There we go everybody. They're not teaching everyone that they can destroy an army.

    Its the mindset and the training, if you train to use it you will have it to use, if you say "oh thats impossible i wont even try to train for that" then when it comes time to use it, you wont have the tools to defend against it.
    Don't have a problem with training it. In fact, at the Tang Soo Do school I go to, we do mass attack sparring. But usually whoever's "it" gets pounded. The only issue I was wondering about was the Shou Shu comments posted about multiple attackers that they seemed unrealistic in that they implied or directly stated 20 attacker scenarios with little injury and consistent high success rate.

    But that doesn't seem to be the case so :hello2:

  5. #155

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    13
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Regarding multiple attackers...

    I think the big problem here lies in communication. I notice a strong interest here in UFC and Pride and other MMA competitions. I also enjoy watching fights, but I don't train to go fight in a ring. I train to feel I could defend myself against some psycho freak who might jump out of the bushes wielding a knife one night while I'm out walking. Before I started training, I know I would have completely frozen if attacked and would likely be killed, as happened to a woman near where I live in 2001.

    I'm now at the point where I can visualize being attacked at night by two people, and actually getting out of it alive and intact (assuming, of course, that my attacker wasn't good at takedowns or a trained fighter).

    The message I got from Shou Shu (and the reason why I actually wanted to learn to fight) was its effectiveness in defending oneself from a criminal attacker. I mean, come on -- how many guys with a background in martial arts, with the discipline and respect that comes with rigorous training, are going to gather together in a gang to go harass people on the street? Most folks who fight in groups generally do so because their sheer size intimidates enough people that they get what they want. I call those who start such unmatched and unfair fights thugs. No thug's gonna have better skills than a high degree shou shu black belt. The same could be said for a high degree black belt in virtually any art... except McDojos that trade belts for dollars.

    So that's my 2 cents. This seems a silly argument to me, because two different assumptions are being made about the multiple attackers scenario.

    I hope that the members of Bullshido can take a step back, especially in light of the recent suggestion that Sirc may have embellished in a post. Shou Shu is NOT a McDojo. Sure, we're passionate about our art. But just because we're a bit overzealous doesn't mean that Shou Shu doesn't measure up against other arts.

  6. #156
    WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction. Join us... or die
    EternalRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,360
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Shou Shu, albeit depending on the school/instructor, trains with traditional and modern methods (focus mitts, bagwork, etc) but still engages in full contact sparring (picked that up from Beast Master's posts) and most of the Shou Shu students who came on this site seem to have no qualms against challenge matches, and we even have a Shou Shu member on this board who has gone to throwdowns.

    From Acina's post, it seems they don't expect that a trained fighter or cage fighter is a walk in the park, and they seem to know the weaknesses of their training (ie groundwork, as noted in Acina's post as well as an earlier post accounting the Shou Shu Bullshido member's throwdown experience). This is also highlighted in a Shou Shu MMA fighter who has added BJJ to his repetoire (yea I kno his wins are by submission but his standup seems to be exclusively Shou Shu).

    Despite the mysticism history and sometimes varying philosophies on multiple attackers, invincible speed, and other questionable comments, they do seem to train hard, with proper sparring, know that they got little groundwork, and they have an MMA cagefighter and students showing up to throwdowns.

    I don't get it what do some of you have against these guys again?

  7. #157
    Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau
    Posts
    2,084
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    I don't get it what do some of you have against these guys again?
    Shifu Tiger believes that it doesn't matter how many people attack him he'd still be able kick the **** out of about 10 of them.
    Shou shu energy said that he had wanted to come to a previous throwdown but couldn't because he hadn't been invited.
    And kickcatcher who hangs round on more forums than anyone else, seems to think they're notorious for talking absolute ****.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

  8. #158
    Fantasy Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,707
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eternal Rage, you seem to be reading the posts with rose tinted glasses. Always good to have someone trying to infuse some balance, but you seem to be overlooking a long history (well, a year or two) or bullshit claims being spouted on numerous forums -Shifu Tiger is a Si-fu, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acira
    I train to feel I could defend myself against some psycho freak who might jump out of the bushes wielding a knife one night while I'm out walking. ---- I'm now at the point where I can visualize being attacked at night by two people, and actually getting out of it alive and intact (assuming, of course, that my attacker wasn't good at takedowns or a trained fighter).
    Acria, I'm not sure what you think the popular notion of the 'for real' assaiolant in a multiple opponent scenario is, but it isn't that they'll be highly trained. You seem to be underestimating your attackers... you're even arming them with knives in your hypothetical scenario...


    And, for those interested in hearing other McDojoism tales of Shou shu, here's a quote previously quoted (can't work out the original URL, read this thread to see (BTW, I'm Armchair Strategist here):
    http://pub228.ezboard.com/ftaekwondo...icID=146.topic
    They don't let you come and watch a class if your not a student. So if your interested, you have to pay $20 for 4 half hour lessons. Once you do that, they get you to sign a years contract, ranging from $85 a month, that includes something like 1 class a week, and one one hour private session with a shifu or black belt.
    Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 9/22/2005 7:59am at .
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

    just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM


    Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

  9. #159
    Cullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,525
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure, we're passionate about our art. But just because we're a bit overzealous doesn't mean that Shou Shu doesn't measure up against other arts.
    Testing your training against somebody elses training is what 'sport fighting' is all about.

  10. #160
    Cullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,525
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Shifu Tiger believes that it doesn't matter how many people attack him he'd still be able kick the **** out of about 10 of them.
    That's because there is more than one Shifu Tiger, and his numbers increase every day. He's like Agent Smith in the Matrix II. If we don't stop him soon, he's going to tunnel to the centre of the earth and destroy us all with lava.

Page 16 of 25 First ... 6121314151617181920 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO