Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 2:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shifu Tiger, do your students have yearly contracts?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 2:19pm

Style: Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im gone

a lot of people cant even grasp Shou Shus green belt material in class, let a lone online

and greens when you really get your first taste of Shou Shu, getting your black, youve only begun to scratch the surface

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 2:35pm

Style: BJJ / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by massattack
    im gone

a lot of people cant even grasp Shou Shus green belt material in class, let a lone online

and greens when you really get your first taste of Shou Shu, getting your black, youve only begun to scratch the surface
    Well, that just makes it look that much worse, if you ask me. Why wait until you are a green belt to show the "true" Shou Shu? I understand the need to baby step through material at times, but it sounds to me like this is just an excuse to explain why I didn't get any of the real material when I was only a Purple belt.

Explain what real Shou Shu is then...since I didn't get to see it.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok Shou Shu ppl, I think they get your message - "come down and fight us" - which is very good and all. Sirc have you given the names of those black belts and brown belt and the location of that school yet? These guys want to clean house and before you guys go down there and start throwdowning everywhere at least we can give them a hand...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:43pm

Style: Qigong, taiji, Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys. As a student of Shou Shu for 2 years now, I wanted to add my own personal experiences to this discussion. I certainly DO NOT speak for the organization.

I started this art as a complete n00b to fighting. I got my ass kicked twice in high school, I've been a klutz all my life, and I'd punch my husband as hard as I could in the arm and he would just laugh at me. My husband took judo for 2 years and could never get me to go, but when he started Shou Shu he talked me into going to a free women's self defense seminar on a Saturday. After 3 hours of learning a few basic moves that could very well save my life if some thug grabbed me, I wanted more, so I joined up.

I DID sign an annual contract. But that contract (Moore's standard contract, I believe) does have a money-back guarantee that basically says if you try the art and put in the time to training and you aren't satisfied, your money will be refunded. I had no problem signing it, or renewing my contract this year. At a price comparable to a limited number of lessons at other local MA studios, I have unlimited access to all group classes, I can go in for open mat training anytime the studio's open, plus I get a private lesson every week! A lot of the places around here charge more for 2 or 3 private lessons than I pay every month for 4 private lessons and unlimited group lessons. So now that's answered. Other schools may vary. I'm only speaking for myself.

Now, after two years of training, my punches are very effective. I've learned how to strike powerfully. I've learned how to fight effectively, gven my size and weight. I spar regularly with the other seasoned students in the studio, and while I have a hard time holding my own when squared off like that, I continue to improve. And my husband doesn't let me punch him full-force in the arm anymore. :D

In my kwoon, most of the guys have taken other MA forms. One guy has a black belt in TKD. As I mentioned, my husband has a judo background, which really helps him on open mat nights when the guys tend to grapple a lot. We have another guy who just joined who trained with some famous grappling guy (sorry, forget name, but I could find out) and who has incredible grappling skills. He wants to add shou shu's standup to his arsenal and then go enter a tournament to see what he can do.

I've been to 4 camps and have interacted with many black belts from other schools and I've never encountered anyone who sounds like the folks talked about in the opening post of this thread. But then, that was many years ago. We had black belts coming by our campsite last camp, helping us work on our current material and showing us a teeny bit of the super cool stuff they're currently working on.

In regards to MMA and UFC, I don't think anyone could get in the ring with only one style under their belt and hope to do any good. That's why it's called MIXED martial arts, right? I have to admit, though, that I'm amazed how many of those guys drop their hands when kicking. I've seen so many knockouts occur from what I consider an elementary error. But then, I'm not in the ring, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

I could go on but I don't want to bore you guys. I just wanted to share my experience of Shou Shu.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not fair for the black belts and the brown belt for me to give out their names. Mostly because one of them is a friend of mine.

It's not right for me to say UNLESS I ask permission from them.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc
    It's not fair for the black belts and the brown belt for me to give out their names. Mostly because one of them is a friend of mine.

Then ask please. I'm sure they wouldn't mind speaking with their fellow students and trying to figure out how you beat them - according to Beast Master they do this anyway after they spar.

Acira, welcome to Bullshido.net. Don't let all the flame war and insulting stop you from taking a look around (I kno its hard), there has been some good work done by this site and its members in stopping bullshit in martial arts. I am uncertain how this particular thread got reduced to insults towards your system, but hopefully these claims against SHou Shu can eventually checked out. I know I wouldn't want crap like that in the system I practice and would better be safe than sorry and check it out.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Then ask please. I'm sure they wouldn't mind speaking with their fellow students and trying to figure out how you beat them - according to Beast Master they do this anyway after they spar.

Acira, welcome to Bullshido.net. Don't let all the flame war and insulting stop you from taking a look around (I kno its hard), there has been some good work done by this site and its members in stopping bullshit in martial arts. I am uncertain how this particular thread got reduced to insults towards your system, but hopefully these claims against SHou Shu can eventually checked out. I know I wouldn't want crap like that in the system I practice and would better be safe than sorry and check it out.
    They don't do what beast said. That's crap. They just kind of get a drink of water, clean up and leave. There's not talk. And there's no stopping, they just try to hit each other as many times as they can and that's the end of it.

Maybe I'm an amazing fighter with a prowess unmatched by those around me? Yeah, no. Not the case, maybe I was just slightly better, or better versed or more used to fighting different styles and having to adapt. Or perhaps I was just better than them? They're not invincible, nobody is (except for Omega :kiss: ) and perhaps they don't move at the speed of light.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:51pm

Style: Moores Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thats because your full of ****

PM me when you want to spar
    Last edited by BeastApprentice; 9/21/2005 5:00pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:55pm

Style: Moores Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They don't do what beast said. That's crap. They just kind of get a drink of water, clean up and leave. There's not talk. And there's no stopping, they just try to hit each other as many times as they can and that's the end of it.

Maybe I'm an amazing fighter with a prowess unmatched by those around me? Yeah, no. Not the case, maybe I was just slightly better, or better versed or more used to fighting different styles and having to adapt. Or perhaps I was just better than them? They're not invincible, nobody is (except for Omega :kiss: ) and perhaps they don't move at the speed of light.

I do what i say, you see your basing sparring by one account of what you saw. Thats how i spar to benefit myself and my sparring partner. we stop, reflect and try and improve.

SIRC = FOS
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415161723 ... LastLast