Posted On:
    9/15/2005 1:27pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Men's Health Oct '05 - I read it so you might want to:

Possibly a continuing feature.

Say what you will, but a good amount of the fitness knowledge I have came from Men's Health, and that knowledge is generally in accordance for what goes for good advice around here.

So skip through the sex, malegrams, and all that crap and get to the stuff you enjoy.

I selected what I think is pertinent and included a page reference so you can check out the blurb/article and see more details on it. These are just thumbnail sketches.

====

P. 44 – Kids can’t self-regulate calorie intake, so giving them proper size portions is the way to keep them from getting fat.

P. 46 – High CRP (C-reactive protein) levels increases bad (LDL) cholesterol, regardless of diet.

P. 52 – Consuming meat and soy together increases production of equol, a compound that helps reduce the growth of malignant prostate cells. Doing so resulted in equol levels equivalent to that of men on a low-meat, high-soy diet. So one doesn’t have to cut meat to get soy benefits; rather, one just has to have a little soy every day.

P. 52 – 3 cups of coffee or more every day can cause heart problems, due to caffeine content. The reason is somewhat unclear.

P. 52 – Omega-3 Fatty Acids can help relieve neck and back pain.

P. 52 – Almonds can help treat high bad (LDL) cholesterol levels since they contain antioxidants that eradicate them.

P. 54 – Eating jelly with high pectin levels can lower cholesterol, which lowers the possibility of testicular cancer.

P. 54 – Trans-fats can cause gallstones. McD’s fries has tons of trans-fats.

P. 54 – Consuming foods high in tryptophan, such as whey in dairy foods (ricotta cheese, whey protein, etc.) can help people sleep.

P. 56 – Eating more protein can make you lose more fat around your midsection.

P. 56 – Spicy foods help you eat less. Eating spicy foods before a large meal helps you curb food intake.

P. 60 – Athletes in endurance sports have a higher chance of irregular heartbeat possibly due to thickened heart muscle.

P. 78 – Condoms expire after 5 years, eggs after 5 weeks.

P. 88 – Deal with snobby people by talking about current events and pop culture.

P. 114 – 118 Frozen fruits and veggies are superior to fresh unless fresh means “just picked from the farm/garden.” You can make a “protein pop” by putting a Popsicle stick in a small container of yogurt and freezing it.

P. 138 – They have a device that can increase lung capacity and diaphragm strength, making you able to breathe better. It looks like an inhaler and costs $70.

P. 148 – A good fruit salad after lifting weights consists of 1 cup pineapple, 1 cup papaya, a kiwi, a half-mango, a banana, some honey for flavor, and a cup of lowfat cottage cheese. The pineapple and papaya help digest protein and lower inflammation; the kiwi and mango also help break down proteins. The cottage cheese provides 32g of whey protein. You can make this into a smoothie by removing the cottage cheese and adding whey powder, 10oz of fat free milk, and some ice.

P. 177+ - Cardio can increase brain function. Doing an exercise routine for 5 weeks can make it a habit.

P. 186 – Actor Paul Walker does BJJ and Muay Thai for 3 hours a day as his primary method of fitness.

P. 208 – Cardio training helps improve recovery time from weight-lifting, because it trains your body to remove metabolic waste and replenish oxygen.

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    p.210 - There is a sucker born every minute.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P. 208 – Cardio training helps improve recovery time from weight-lifting, because it trains your body to remove metabolic waste and replenish oxygen.
    Is this really true?

Seriously?

Because, if it is, I may just have a way out of my current training dilemma.

Don't play with me now.

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 4:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    Is this really true?

Seriously?

Because, if it is, I may just have a way out of my current training dilemma.

Don't play with me now.

All they have to do is define cardio and how MUCH cardio and at WHAT pace and...well, you get the idea.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 4:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah, it's hopeless!

I will remain teh lanky BJJ man 4eva.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rather than packing on muscle, you're probably better off trying to teach your body how to bend your bones, so you can land some serious strangulation techniques like an evil Mr. Fantastic.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 5:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paul walker is a shitty actor, armbar or no armbar. Not even a flying guillotine could have save 2 Fast 2 Furious. Which I watched. For some reason.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 5:45pm

Style: WC, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Paul walker is a shitty actor, armbar or no armbar. Not even a flying guillotine could have save 2 Fast 2 Furious. Which I watched. For some reason.
    Someone had it on their suggested viewing list from here?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it makes me exceedingly sad that Paul Walker might give me a run for my money in a fight. Especially since if I ever saw him I would probably want to kick his ass for inflicting the aforementioned movie upon an unsuspecting american viewing audience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 6:33pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Paul walker is a shitty actor,
    Ummm... well... i'll gladly change places with Paul Walker.. crappy actor or not.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast