Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 7:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand that you train with Mansur out east. I am not totally sure of his background but he is some ridiculously high black belt under helio or carlos sr. isn't he? I am interested in the type of jiu jitsu he teaches. Is it pretty old fashioned jiu jitsu designed more for self defense? How do you guys do in sport jiu jitsu tournaments? Do you guys work stuff like spider guard etc.? Thanks.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey whats up Musashi?

Fransisco Mansor is an 8th degree under Helio Gracie. He's the highest ranking BJJ black belt outside the Gracie family. His stlye is VERY old school BJJ. He stresses the basics like a MUTHERFUKKER which, in my opinion, is great. Because the basics are worked so much our guys to great in the No Gi division even tho we practice with a gi %70 of the time. He stresses submission. Whenever the team would be training for a tournament he'd be yelling "Submission! Submission!".

I remember one time I was exhausted and worked like a BAZTARD to get mount and when I finally got it I held the guy close around his neck while I caught my breath. Master Mansor comes over with a big smile and his Brazilian accent:

"You like hold him? Yes? Kiss kiss? SUBMISSION!!" LOL. Cracked me up.

The guys do great in all the tournaments. Kioto mainly competes in NAGA. If you check out the July/August Ultimate Athlete there is a big article on NAGA's New York State grappling championship, which was both GI and No Gi. Kioto placed 2nd overall being outfought only by team Renzo Gracie. Renzo's team pretty much rules the NAGA circut right now, but they have been together ALOt longer than the Kioto team, who's highest students are only blue belts.

If your ever in N.Y. let me know and your welcome to come down to the academy and train. Everyone there is really down to earth and humble. No egos. Makes for a really fun time.

"Migo is such a nerdy, panzy ass, ****** mutherfukker." -Every member of the ADCC Forum(at one time or another).

Edited by - PeedeeShaolin on August 14 2002 22:12:02
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PeeDee, where is his academy located in NY?

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 9:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bohemia is where i train. He has instructors now in Wantaugh, Port Jefferson and Riverhead. None in Manhattan man, sorry. they were going to open up a school in Chelsea Piers but it fell thru.

"Migo is such a nerdy, panzy ass, ****** mutherfukker." -Every member of the ADCC Forum(at one time or another).

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 10:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bohemia? Isn't that in the Czech Republic? Too bad they are not in NY. Thanks for the info. I still have to find a place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 10:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey man, is your school hosting erik paulson?

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 10:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not sure. They talka bout hosting alot of ppl. I think Metzger was the last guy we hosted. I'll ask Big Mike and get back to you on it.

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 11:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OT:

I've always been kind of interested in Kyokushin Karate, mainly because I've heard it's pretty hardcore. If I found a school in my area, would you recommend it over MT, Peedee?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 11:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second that question, I'd really like to take Kyokushin if it is half as bad ass as I have heard. I've taken San Da so no real true need to take MT but do you think Kyokushin would help my striking?

Posted On:
    8/16/2002 12:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I really would man. I just asked Gold Dragon over at ADCC this very same Q. I really think that Kyokushin is better than Muay Thai OVERALL.

I think that Kyokushin's round kick maybe sliiighty less powerful than MT but the average person will be able to use it far more effectively. Kyokushin fighters often chamber their leg and throw over their hip when kicking. This makes a whip effect that I feel is easy for nearly anyone to use and understand.

MT fighters throw their kick straight from the ground like a baseball bat. I've done striking for a while now and I STILL can generate the same power with a Thai kick that I can with a chambered kick. I really think it takes ALOT of practice and some good shin conditioning in order to be effective with a Thai style round kick.

Even in K-1 we dont REALLy see Thai kicks. Alot of the guys chamber their legs when kicking. Its almost like kickboxings version of crosstraining where these guys are taking the hand techniques from Boxing, the clinch, knees and elbows from MT and some kicks from Kyokushinkai.

The ONLY THING is that Kyokushin stylists DONt spar with hand strikes to the head. That may seem weird to hear but I dont think its so bad. They practice plenty on defending punches to the head and parrying straight hand techniques in a realistic way but when actually contact sparring comes the only thing they limit is hand and arm strikes to the head.

One thing is that ALL sparring in Kyokushin is usually bare knuckle. That may sound cool at first but its pretty damn hard. Your body takes a beating. Your not FORCED to go hard or anything but if you've trained before your probably going to try and go pretty hard. Your not going to be able to help yourself lol.

Overall tho Kyokushin is also an ART. There are forms, self defense techniques, blows like openhand strikes to the throat etc. There isnt any grappling but the fighters are still pretty damn tough because they DO spar without points and its contact sparring so you get used to guys coming at you and actually making contact. You also get used to the standing clinch and people punching you from it and throwing knees.

Overall Im going to go with Kyokushin. It may have a little less value if your going to compete in the UFC but for someone who is aware of grappling and aware of what haooens in a real fight then they can really use Kyokushin IMO. Not to sound like a McDojo guy myself, but there are also belts in Kyokushin which gives you something to work for and adds to the overall fun of learning the system.

Alot of great fighters came from Kyokushin, like Bas Rutten, Peter Aerts, and Andy Hug. Id definitely reccomend checking it out.

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast