Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/16/2005 2:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am two years younger than you and I got to tell you, the notion of saying I wrestled 20 years ago and that referencing my senior year is a little surreal to me. I do look forward to wearing black socks with shorts though.

The Reaper, I suggest you to cut as little weight as possible to make weight. Even if you have to move up a weight class to do it. I believe that cutting weight when you're still growing can stunt your growth to some extent. My only data to support this is a pair of twins I knew in high school. One wrestled and one did not. The wrestler was still trying to make 132 lbs. as a senior. He did this for three years. When they graduated the wrestler was 5'8" at maybe 150. His brother that didn't wrestle was 6'1" and 175ish, and yes they were identical. Now I realize that one case is hardly a statistical example, but I doubt we will have many volunteers for a study resembling the example above. So it's really just my interpretation of the facts. FWIW
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2005 3:25pm

Style: Wrestling, Camarillo BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been a real insane cutter as far as wrestling goes, especially this year since I"m trying to bulk up to 185-190 from the 173 I am right now. I usually only drop 5lbs tops during wrestling season, while other kids I know live off of jello and water for days on end and run with about 6 layers of sweats on to drop like 10lbs in a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2005 6:25pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    However, don't decide not to wrestle b/c it will interfere with BJJ. In the end, should you wrestle 3 or 4 years, you'll eventually be much better at BJJ than you ever would have been without the wrestling experience. And, for most of us, high school is the only opportunity you'll have to wrestle with that kind of intensity and frequency, so take advantage of it if you can. You'll develop mat feel, reflexes and a mental toughness that you'll never lose.
    I dunno, if the end game is bjj or mma, wouldn't he be better off with 3 years of bjj rather than 3 years of wrestling? Your conditioning won't be as good but your technique would be better.

Did I miss a memo about the fireman's carry? I use it all the time and it works just fine for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2005 11:09pm

Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those of you that have trained in submission wrestling while also training/competing in wrestling, did you have any trouble switching back and forth?

I've done both but not at the same time. This season I'm going to keep training in submission wrestling so I hope I don't end up trying to use the guard etc. during a wrestling match.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    9/16/2005 11:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask the younger Gracie boys. I heard they are on their highschool wrestling teams.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2005 12:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    Did I miss a memo about the fireman's carry? I use it all the time and it works just fine for me.
    In the BJJ circle the firemans carry is regarded as a shitty takedown because you can be crucifixed, have your back taken, or have the inside arm broken right then and there. And if timed right I believe they are correct. But it has to do GREATLY with who is doing the takedown. There are wrestlers who are so fast with that **** - your not pulling that crap off on them.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12