Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 8:04pm

Style: Wrestling, Camarillo BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Japanese Whizzer

Well I was rolling a few days ago in Jiu Jitsu, and attempted a firemen's carry even though I knew better, and quite frankly I go anhilliated for it. Later on my instructor(guy who I was rolling with) told me that sure the firemen's carry is a great takedown in wrestling, but something like a Japanese Whizzer would be alot more effective. Well I suppose I could ask him or Brock, but I know I'll probably forget during roll time, so I was wondering if someone can explain to me basically what one?

Also, another question, I need opinions, well wrestling season is coming up in about another month and a half to 2 months, and with 5 day a week practices for wrestling, I'm debating if I should still bother to go to BJJ while wrestling is going on, or just wait until the season is over and start BJJ up again?
    Last edited by The Reaper; 9/15/2005 7:56pm at . Reason: f'd up takedown name

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 8:33pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "jap whizzer"

Searching for pictures now...
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Genius

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it's wizzer or whizzer. THere is also a polish variant.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 8:41pm

Style: Wrestling, Camarillo BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, no wonder I couldn't find any pictures or find it in any technique pages on the net.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 8:48pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://judoinfo.com/images/nauta/seoinage.gif

http://judoinfo.com/images/animation.../ipponseoi.htm

this is ippon seoinage. Essentially the same technique (only sans gi). As the rules of folk and freestyle wrestling do not permit slamming an opponent, it is also done typically by dropping to the knees.

SOrry I couldn't get an official wrestling picture.
    Last edited by Scrapper; 9/14/2005 8:50pm at .
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 9:00pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say drop BJJ for a while. Not only will you save money, you'll come back stronger, faster, etc etc. And because you're just purely wrestling, you'll be able to focus on your pins, positioning and other stuff. When you come back into BJJ you can focus on whatever's left. I say it's better to master one thing first then move on.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 10:54am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is screaming for someone to take advantage of it with pictures....

ARE THERE NO JAPANESE WIZARDS OUT THERE???

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O.k, a couple of things.

I'm not sure what you're instructor means by a "japanese Wizzer".

Wizzer is a wrestling term. A wizzer is simply an overhook from the standing position, where you rotate your hips out and use leverage to control your opponent. It's a great defense/counter against a shot.

As for a "'japanese Wizzer", I was always under the impression that a japanese Wizzer was basically a drop seoinage, obviously done with no gi. This is what a wrestler is referring to when he says "'japanese wizzer".

I have a feeling you were not executing the Fireman's Carry properly.

In my opinion, if your goal is to get the guy to the ground (as opposed to slamming him), the wrestling version of the Fireman's Carry is far superior to the Judo version (kata Guruma). I also believe the wrestling version of the Fireman's Carry is superior to a Japanese Wizzer, because it's much more difficult to defend against. The Japanese Wizzer is not an easy throw to perfect. It involves a great deal of timing and kuzushi, more so than a lot of wrestling throws.

As for wrestling and BJJ, I would usually drop by the dojo once a week or every other week when I was wrestling. Sometimes I would miss a few weeks, but I never stopped entirely during the season. However, I was certainly not able to train enough to get much out of it, it was more about just making an appearance and bullshitting with the guys. Then again, I wasn't paying either, they'd just let me train when I wanted to. Wrestling takes way too much time. Between practice and meets, you'll be training 5 or 6 days a week for up to 3 hours a day.

However, don't decide not to wrestle b/c it will interfere with BJJ. In the end, should you wrestle 3 or 4 years, you'll eventually be much better at BJJ than you ever would have been without the wrestling experience. And, for most of us, high school is the only opportunity you'll have to wrestle with that kind of intensity and frequency, so take advantage of it if you can. You'll develop mat feel, reflexes and a mental toughness that you'll never lose.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/16/2005 1:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    However, don't decide not to wrestle b/c it will interfere with BJJ. In the end, should you wrestle 3 or 4 years, you'll eventually be much better at BJJ than you ever would have been without the wrestling experience. And, for most of us, high school is the only opportunity you'll have to wrestle with that kind of intensity and frequency, so take advantage of it if you can. You'll develop mat feel, reflexes and a mental toughness that you'll never lose.
    For the second time I must concur with lawdog. The first was in another thread. I was a high school wrestler and I do think it helped me quite a bit when I transitioned to Bjj. Initially I had a few bad habits to be sure, like giving people my back so I didn't get pinned, RNC anyone? For the most part though I had a much better understanding of a good base and leverage than your average beginner white belt.

Don't quit either, just put Bjj on the back burner until wrestling season ends.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2005 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I was a high school wrestler and I do think it helped me quite a bit when I transitioned to Bjj. Initially I had a few bad habits to be sure, like giving people my back so I didn't get pinned, RNC anyone?
    Yeah, I definitely know that feeling. Even though I was a judoka before I wrestled, I still picked up those "bad habits". I got choked and arm barred endlessly when I was in high school b/c of that.

It doesn't take long to correct it though. After wrestling, it only took a few months to learn to protect my neck and arms. I will say though that even to this day, and I'm 38, I still haven't learned to like being on my back. Fortunately, however, in judo that's o.k, b/c we still have to worry about getting "pinned".
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast