Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 12:41pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Arm flushed red while working out...

I've noticed something recently while doing the workouts before my kung fu class. Towards the beginning part of the excercises, we do a whole bunch of upper body workouts. It pretty much starts out as we do a lot of arm circles (swing your arms in a full circle slowly to fast to slowly again and then in the opposite direction, like if you were drawing two huge circles in front of your body with your hands). After we do this we go into an excercise they call "finger grabbing", where you hold your arms out straight in front, shoulder level, palms down, open your hand all the way and then close them in a tight fist. We do that slowly 10 times, then quickly 10 times. Then we turn our hands so our palms are facing up and do it again. Then we put our arms straight out to our sides with our palms facing down and do the same thing again with our hands out there. While I am doing these "finger grabbing" excercises (which really kills, by the way), I've noticed recently that my left arm is more flush with the color red then my right arm (think the color red in someone's face when he/she hangs upside down for a little while). Last year I don't remember my arms looking like that (and they weren't red before like that either), but I think it may have happened (though I'm not sure) during the summer. There's no pain or stiffness or anything that would indicate that there's something obviously physically wrong, but this happens consistantly at every workout, is always my left arm, so I think that it probably has to have been caused by something. Does anyone have any insight as to what this may be? Would it be something that I should get checked out or not?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 2:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole arm or a streak?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 3:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the entire arm, including my hand

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 3:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, ask your teacher, sounds wierd.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 3:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya I think that would probably be a good idea. I'll do that tomorrow. I just didn't know if it was anything I needed to worry about. Do you think there could be any reason that there's something that blocks blood flow on that side? I always have a shirt on when I'm doing these so I don't know what it looks like without one on.

One thing, though, since a few months before classes started for me (Sept. 5) I was seeing a chiropractor because I've had mild scoliosis since probaby around 6th grade (it curved to the left, my hip was raised higher on my right side). It wasn't generally a problem since my range of motion was very adequate (though I did have less flexibility on my left side), but we decided to go there and get things adjusted a little. He gave me a lift for my left shoe to wear to help my back straighten out over time, but I don't wear it during kung fu. Do you think maybe that or something like that would be causing circulation issues even when I don't wear it? Every other time of the class (that I've noticed) and even when I'm not in class the color is even on both sides.

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 3:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if it is a circulation issue. If you had circulatory problems you would also have numbness, tingling and eventually necrosis.

Plus you are only aware of this cutaneous redness.

The palms of my hands turn red when I work out, but not so much the arms. I know people whose faces turn red. I don't know what to make of this one sided redness thing.

Of course I could state the obvious, your chi is unballanced.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh.. that's right, I can't believe I missed that! It has to be chi! Well, I better get working on that tai chi class more, I do have it tonight...

lol :laughing5

Seriously, though, I'll go ask my teacher and see what they'll say. It may not be anything I'd have to worry about, but it is really wierd, since it never really happened before. Thanks for your help.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not lack of circulation, it's the opposite. For some reason you're getting a blood rush to that arm.

I have no idea what would cause that in one arm, and I've never seen it happen to anyone.

If/when you find out what's causing it, let us know. I'm really curious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2005 1:47am

Style: Kickboxing

--