Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    9/13/2005 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Total weightlifting noob

I'm a total noob to weightlifting. I've got a weightbench in the basement which used to be my dad's until it fell into disuse. I've used it before and gained some mass, but otherwise, I know very little about form, function, lifts, reps, etc.

Basically, what I'm asking is, where can I learn as much about weightlifting as I can? Books faqs, whatever.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    9/13/2005 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

rawr

Posted On:
    9/13/2005 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.exrx.net is a good place to start, although some of the animated form gifs have painfully bad form.
    I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2005 3:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here and here

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    9/13/2005 5:46pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy the old edition of Arnold's Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. Ignore the new version and all other sources of material.

Only by listening to Arnold can you become teh huge. Also, buy the 25th anniversary edition of Pumping Iron. Put on the "behind the scenes", put it on repeat, and watch it while you slumber.

Actually his book did have a good encylopedia of exercises. It's a bit dated but it has pretty pictures of large men.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    9/13/2005 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, guys. I'll take a look later, I'm on break right now.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 12:32am

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the best sites I have found are: www.stumptuous.com and "bony joe's weight pit" (google it). The arnold book is good for examples of exercises but his beginner routines are super high volume (overtraining). Try to do all exercises correctly and slowly. And be careful, easy to hurt yourself lifting. I would say workout three days a week for about 1 hr. per day. Try out different exercises and see what you like. my favorites are: pullups, rows, deadlifts, clean/press, squats, bench press, incline press, dips, overhead, lateral raises, curls and shrugs. The most important ones to do are the ones that use more of your body, so the best one of all is the clean and press if you had to pick just one exercise (uses legs/hips/back/shoulders and arms all at once). Oh, and if you want to get big you have to eat a lot. :wbaba2

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 10:43am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy asked where he can learn as much about weightlifting as possible in one sitting. If you want to get off with a great start I would recommend the Abs Diet. The excercise and diet is amazing. You'll learn about supersetting, the most correct diet, have a program for beginners, and if you take the 6 week challenge while you at it, You'll have a base bodytype to work off of. A lot of members of this forum would recommend against Men's Health type books, because they confuse you with weird excercises and constantly changing diet advice, but this book is a good year old and still up to date with it's information and tips. If you start out with an encycopedia of bodybuilding, you'll get confused with the massive amount of information and develope a program that overtrains you. So buy The Abs Diet and a Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding at the same time, and read the Abs Diet cover to cover and embark on it's program first(and don't quit) before you even open the other book. That will make things understandable for you. You will eventually see how you can overtrain once your done with the Abs Diet, and You'll develope a program that you know isn't overtraining you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 11:32am

Style: Triton (MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    buy a copy of Supertraining (and read it as painful as it might be)

start reading the articles and q&a at elitefts.com

start looking at the workouts of the day at crossfit.com (if you're a fighter)

try to find a certified oly lifting coach or accomplished powerlifter to teach you form. There is no substitute for good instruction.