Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 6:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, it has been some time since Rickson Gracie was discussed in earnest so I think we should have it out. Whether or not you like it Rickson is the main representative of jiu jitsu and he stands for jiu jitsu. He is revered by all the good players in brazil and I don't know any credible BJJ guy that would criticize him.
    So now the rumor mill has started turning again about Rickson fighting in Japan once again. I think it is actually going to happen this time. Now whether or not he fights anyone of note is another matter. But I, personally, have the sneaking suspicion that he will fight someone good. But that is just me.
    Also, can he beat someone like Vanderlei Silva. I say yes. There has been all this talk about how necessary cross training is but I think that pure jiu jitsu can beat pretty much anything in MMA. But that can only happen if it is fought by Rickson and he plays a pure jiu jits game.
    What are people's thoughts on this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 7:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Rickson Gracie is for BJJ people what Bruce Lee is to the strikers. There is a dog-like devotion to the man that is more emotional than anything else. Arguing with them is a waste of time and energy, because no argument you make will matter.

At this point, Rickson is strictly a businessman. He will do what he thinks will make him the most money.

Not saying he's without honor. I am sure if you go to his school, talking ****, and call him out, he'll beat your ass in for free.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I am not into the cult of Rickson crap although it may seem like it. I want to see him fight someone good, if he loses then okay, fine, if he wins then I will give him mad props.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 7:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ruk you are right about people being devoted to them but some people genuinely like them because of their philosophies and contributions to the martial arts world.
    Both are beatable, no one is perfect.

Most MA fighters are businessmen, they have to be to survive especially becausethey risk serious injury or the slim chance of death in those fights so it'd be stupid for them not to play the field.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 7:14pm

Style: BJJ, Vale Tudo, Wrestling, Sanshou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "There has been all this talk about how necessary cross training is but I think that pure jiu jitsu can beat pretty much anything in MMA"

If your limiting yourself to just bjj, you're not allowing yourself to fight at full potential. It's like that for any style. Just look at what cross-training has done for Murilo Bustamonte.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is s good thread. I personally think Rickson is the man. His character is absolutely great and his ground skill is ridiculous. He hasn't fought the best fighters TODAY tho. Thats why people doubt him.

remember something tho- Bas Rutten has fought 2 closed fist MMA matches in his entire career. That doesnt make him a loser. Far from it. I think the problem is 'Seeing is believing.'. Ricksons win over Funaki was a BIG ONE. Dont listen to people who tell you otherwise. Funaki has beaten some of the best. Frank and Ken Shamrock, Rutten, Maurice Smith, Suzuki....hes a world class martial artist. Around UFC 3 they were talking about having him compete in the UFC and Ken Shamrock thought Funaki would clean house. as thought Funaki would clean up Rickson too. These are accomplished fighters giving their opinions.

I think that Rickson vs Silva or something like that would be a pretty boring fight actually. Ricksons game is not a TV game. He wont take chances. I dont know if thats a good thing for TV but its a smart and technical thing to do in a fight. He will wait for his opponent to make a mistake and he will wait AS LONG AS IT TAKES.

Thats his family's Jiu Jitsu.

Never forcing an opening where one does not exist. Letting technique do all the work and not wasting energy. We really dont see that nowadays. We see a sport varity of Jiu jitsu that is used in matches with time limits.

One guy that plays the rules to the ABSOLUTE is Tito Ortiz. He's a 5 mintue fighter. I think Silva would beat him in a 20 minute match, yet people think Ortiz is God almighty.

I remember the old days when there were no time limits. If the Severn Royce match was 10 mintues Royce would have lost VERY convincingly in the eyes of the fans AND judges.

Remember the 16 minture mark?

I don't think Rickson is a ring fighter. He is a Vale Tudo fighter.

I would say the OPPOSITE about Kevin Randleman. He's a guy who lays on his opponent, punches when he can and tries to look for a judges descision.

I really dont care who Rickson fights. Watching him is like watching Mohammed Ali. Your seeing a legend in action live. Remember, in a few years there are going to be people that are interested in this sport that will not have that opportunity.

"Migo is such a nerdy, panzy ass, ****** mutherfukker." -Every member of the ADCC Forum(at one time or another).
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, it'd be pretty damn cool to see a 40+ Rickson walk out and make quick work of a Silva or Mark Coleman. I think have a true "god-like" figure is good for the sport.

Every time we think we have such a hero, they promptly get their ass beaten in by the new "flavor of the month" fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 7:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think what sets Rickson apart is not necessarily his body or his technique, but the mindset he has towards fighting. That is what has allowed him to win so many fights. I also think that he is something more than jiu jitsu. I think that is just an expression of how good he is. He would be a force in whatever art he practiced. I am hoping to train with him in the future. It would be awesome.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the idea of beating a well rounded MMA fighter with pure BJJ is absolute crap. In the fights I have seen Rickson I was most impressed by his defeat of Zulu on the GJJ In Action tape. However I think his biggest win (which I haven't seen) is over Funaki, one of the top Japanese fighters ever. I think that in that fight he proved he is a world class fighter but not the best as Funaki had also been surpassed at that time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 4:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I Choke You, i can see your point but I disagree. I think that as he stands he can beat the best like Silva. He could also lose. I just hope to god that he doesn't fight some chump if he fights again.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast