Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/11/2005 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I liked about the first UFCs, the style versus style aspect of it. It seems to me that the fighters are becoming very homogeneous as far as style in concerned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2005 9:09pm

Style: Pugilism

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although I agree with the syle vs. style thing, that is something I can't do.

What happens when I have to draw up a business plan? Get funding to pay Ashida Kim to fight Silva?

Although that would be fantastic, the business would tank. I don't think it will be possible for me to create a business based on getting style vs. style back into nhb events.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2005 9:26pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you could get ashida kim to fight wandy, i think most people on this forum would pay a great deal to watch this (including myself).

i think you could go to local tkd, karate, kung fu, ect. schools and offer students and instructors there a chance to fight. im not sure if they would accept, but it would be worth a try.

one question... did you win a 300 million dollar lottery or something? you are talking like you are fucking bill gates or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2005 9:39pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it you want more intelligent fans, and if you want the fan base to grow (including a MMA business), MMA needs to get more fan participation.

If I want to do a martial art, I look in the phone book/online and I can find schools to partcipate in the MA. I tried finding a gym that offered kickboxing/NHB type training, but only found one in my area after extensive search. Worse yet, the guy lacked good people/communication skills and kept blowing off our training times for his fight team and his fight training. While I have no problem with people doing what they need to do, the guy did lose a potential student. I imagine a lot of potential students and people looking for that kind of training will be turned off/away. Luckiliy for me, I found a Judo/Ju jutsu school with a boxing ring that looks promising, but that is the closest I can get.

If I want to compete in a tournament, I can go to the many TKD schools in my area or join a TKD organization and have plenty of opportunity. In Michigan "MMA" or "NHB" tournaments are illegal as far as I know.

While I am only using my personal experience, I think these kind of issues are the reason why TMA are so much more popular than MMA. They are accessible, thus get the support. By more people offering the kind of training it takes to compete in MMA events and getting people training/involved you will raise awareness of the fans, make the sport more popular, and insure that the sport will be sucessful.

[/Rant/Vent Off]

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    9/11/2005 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should retitle this thread to "what SERVICE is missing in mma" so people wont make posts about what is missing in MMA in general.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2005 10:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mick_
    if you could get ashida kim to fight wandy, i think most people on this forum would pay a great deal to watch this (including myself).

i think you could go to local tkd, karate, kung fu, ect. schools and offer students and instructors there a chance to fight. im not sure if they would accept, but it would be worth a try.

one question... did you win a 300 million dollar lottery or something? you are talking like you are fucking bill gates or something.
    I wish I won the lottery!

No, I have to design a company as one of my steps towards obtaining my degree in business administration.

I figured, MMA is not going anywhere, It's something I'm interested in and it definately can use some help.

If I'm going to be designing a business, it'd just plain be more fun, interesting and exciting for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2005 10:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKing
    I think you should retitle this thread to "what SERVICE is missing in mma" so people wont make posts about what is missing in MMA in general.
    I think you should... pat yourself on the back.

I also think your right. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2005 10:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you feel about ring vs. cage? That is THE major difference IMO
    While I consider this more of a superficial issue that I hadn't really thought about. I think ideally there would be a complete circle with ropes around it not a cage. This would be to engender a larger less rigid space without those annoying "corners" to get stuck in and no walls that you can get pushed up against as this I think promotes fighters to consentrate less on balance and rooting issues in the clinch since they can just lean against the cage. There would be better and more technically proficient takedowns and throws in MMA if this happened in my opinion.

Kind of off topic though sorry.

Just to clarify the topic a little bit by "business model" do you mean like an MMA store model or are you actually thinking of making something like a specific MMA promotion that you can grow?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2005 7:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loredon
    Just to clarify the topic a little bit by "business model" do you mean like an MMA store model or are you actually thinking of making something like a specific MMA promotion that you can grow?
    It really depends.

Right now I'm leaning more towards a store model, but people have made suggestions such as a fighters union to provide full medical benefits, which is a great idea also.

I'm guessing though, for school, it will lean more towards traditional retail. I'm willing to consider any and all suggestions though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 3:14pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Animal matches, Roman Gladiator style. That would be awesome.

On a side note, I would say we need more local tournaments and to make the sport generally more acessable and noted amongst youngsters and to somehow decrease notoriety amongst the general public.

I think, eventually, when I learn to grapple and throw decent elbows I'll enter a tournament. But the hardest thing about doing so seems to be finding a damn tournament to enter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast