Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the State of são Paulo, Brazil, Muay Thai practitioners are issued belts. This is the direct result of a demand made by the Associação Paulista de Muay Thai, which requires that for no good reason other than allowing people to compete and/or in order to collect a fee.

So Muay Thai traditionally does not have "belts", same as Kung Fu. In fact, we are pretty much aware of the stupidity behind our belts, and we do not wear them for this very reason.

Still, as my coach reasons, we might as well make something good out of this. So our coach makes tests for people to earn their belts, same as any decent MT school in São Paulo. Those texts range from very difficult to OMFG you are killing me.

I only did the first one. I almost puked from the exercise, and I spent one week limping afterwards thanks to the two sparring rounds I had to go through.

Just for the record: I was testing for the first of about ten belts.

So, in a way, we do take our rank seriously, even if we do not take our belts seriously. A guy who deserved a MT black belt, here in São Paulo, is one serious ************, which is as things should be. He is not the most skilled, nor the fastest guy in town, BUT he is supposed to be able to wipe the floor with anyone in his weight category who has done less than ten years of a hardcore martial arts (Kyokushin or Kickboxing).

If the Shou Shu guys do not respect the meaning of rank, that´s their problem. As far as I am concerned, when I walk into a dojo, I expect the black belts to be able to wipe the floor with me, no excuses. Black belt still stands for AT LEAST mastery of basic skills; if you guys do not respect that, bad for you.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 3:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer

If the Shou Shu guys do not respect the meaning of rank, that´s their problem. As far as I am concerned, when I walk into a dojo, I expect the black belts to be able to wipe the floor with me, no excuses. Black belt still stands for AT LEAST mastery of basic skills; if you guys do not respect that, bad for you.
    If a school/system does NOT respect the meaning of rank/belts, they would not have any.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I head Shou Shu uses belts, apparently for economic reasons (cheaper than sashes).
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 6:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: white dragon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

sho shu

i wish this post was newer, i took sho shu for 7 years. i started when al jr was a 4th degree. da shifu frier and i started a week apart.

yes, i know the martins, sigfired, hunt, scott jeffries, huey, troendle, summeral etc... i knew vanooki before he quit, and several others. i say this to back my creds to you sho shu guys . you know i am metioning names of the "stars" of the system. sho shu has helped me out of a few jams, against an idiot, the style works great, against a stand up fighter still pretty good. against a grappler, well that is a whole different ball of wax. i get my head handed to me by grapplers in training all the time. i am getting better but have a long way to go. there was a lot of talk about the good old days: beating the crap out of everyone; many i have seen 1st hand. both al moore sr and jr could hit very hard and fast [no not 26 times]. i got knocked out once by Al sr at a camp. a lot of the guys that used to run the schools were a little mean with something to prove. i had a black belt 2nd degree hit me with a mongoose kick as i walked out of a resturant, just to show me what he has learned. this same individula locked me up in a tecniquie called cobra twist and held me there with fingernails drawing blood [seemed like 5 min] he never once apologized to me for the mongoose kick, i had a goose egg on knee for 2 weeks. i even saw al jr evict a 3rd degree out of the dojo/kwann and told him to never come back, a year later he was back. in truth taking Am kempo for 3 years and sho shu for 7 sho shu is very similar to kempo but i say this with honesty not meaness, it lacks grappling. i even heard al jr beat one of his shifus up for teaching grappling, i dont know if this is true or not
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 8/05/2007 11:45am at . Reason: Don't fuck with the default font and size and certain don't use 'Comic MS' font, jackass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 9:46pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just a Rerun!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 10:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: white dragon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ts to what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 11:22pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Da'sifu" was an egomaniac

The forums are loaded with the same stories of Shou Shu members beating up drunks.

and as for Al sr. knocking you out is just a lack of control, OR intentional. as the forums say,

Al Sr and Al Moore Jr AKA (Jung Moon), Love that name , and his marry band is pretty good at thumping up on students, and drunks.

Example!
    ShouShu - Shou Shu :: View topic - Shou Shu History

OH BABY!!! DA'SHIFU WAS STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME .....TALKING ABOUT BEING TO CLOSE......I'M THINKING HE'S JUST MAKING A POINT.....AND "CRACK" LIKE A BOLT OF LIGHTING HE HITS ME WITH TWO FINGERS THE PAIN WAS ONLY A 6 ON A 1-10...THE WEIRD PART WAS I COULDN'T OPEN MY JAW VERY MUCH AND MY MOLARS WHERE OFF SET BY 95%....SHUN SHIFU CODY COMES OVER SAYS ...."HEY SHIFU YOUR JAW DON'T LOOK SO GOOD " SO I STARTED TO PUSH ON IT AND FORCE IT OPEN AS FAR AS I COULD (PAIN WAS 8-9 ON A 1-10)....SHUN SHIFU CODY SAYS "LOOK UP AT THE CELING"...AND BANG...HE COBRA STRIKES ME ON THE MASTIOD PROCESS JUST IN FRONT OF THE EAR.....KLUNK IT WENT IN! NO MORE PAIN AND MY MOLARS WERE LINED UP PERFECTLY......WHAT A GREAT SEMINAR

This poor lad thinks it was cool, and by the way DA'SHIFU SIEGFRIED is a chiropractor, who dislocated this kids jaw, wonder why this MAN let someone else set his jaw.
    ( Think it might have been a set up )

Again old news.

T.S.

Al Moore's Shou Shu History
    Last edited by Truth seeker; 8/05/2007 4:00pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 10:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Striking/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My lord, Shou Shu is hilarious.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post
    My lord, Shou Shu is hilarious.

You necroed a 3 year old thread to say that? Seriously? Lurk more, post less. Genious!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678