Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2005 12:34pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KC, does the insurance cover compettions too? Here Pohjola Insurance is the only one who does deals with martial arts federations, so they can put those ridicilous prices. :evil7:

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    9/12/2005 12:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re comps. I'm pretty sure it does. In fact, the SDF Wales guys do ok in MMA so I'd assume they're under their SDF insurance when they do so. I merely used the SDF/BCA as examples of how cheap insurance really is in UK. Often when mainstream MAs charge you an insurance over here, it is grossly marked-up. Similarly, they often cite insurance as a reason not to train heavy contact etc -again, usually bollox. For correct figures on SDF/BCA insurance costs, ask them -my figures were ballpark and from memory. But that's about the short of it.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2005 12:49pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Pohjola has the virtual monopoly here, so they have free reign with prices, as I told. If the local MMA federation has anything similar it might be better to take their version, since competing outside FJFs tournaments, like submission-wrestling or mma could be nitpicked "not included in insurance." They are very stingy with paying, had to use few times.

Enough of thread hijack. :eusa_pray

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2005 2:06pm

Style: Shooto, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Robert "Concho" Sullivan Blitz Interview

As someone had mentioned it, I thought I'd stick up Robert Sullivan's interview in Blitz magazine.

Blitz Interview

Awesome cartoon BTW. Now does GKR have a forum we can stick that on. . .

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    9/13/2005 7:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I visited the GKR website and signed up using a few old details from my time in GKR. I'm pretty sure there is no forum.

I'm somewhat tempted to email and watch a class. I haven't trained there in almost six years now. I'm curious to see whether anything has changed.

On the up side I have to say the people who taught me were okay people. I just think in retrospect they were ignorant. As I've said many times before, I believe for the average person GKR is okay as a fitness tool, but lacking on most other departments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2005 8:16am

Style: Shooto, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Go Con You" or "Go Kon Yu" is going to stick forever. . .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2005 8:24am

Style: Freestyle Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LMAO @ Fantasy Warrior webcomic.

"Go Con You" now that's just classic! The whole comic doesn't seem too far from the truth either.

Nice work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2005 5:14am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "What?! No money?!"

One day there's a knock at the door so I look out the peep hole and there's this young guy holding a high side-kick up to the peep hole thinking he's hot ****.

I thought it might be someone who wanted to train with me or something, and somehow got my address, but it was a sales rep trying to sell me karate classes. Then a fortnight later there was another guy.

I did a modern (made up) karate style as a kid which sounds similar. I was there for over a year but only went for one grading (it cost $). The grading was do some pushups, situps, one 5 move kata and some non-contact sparring (it was always non-contact) with a kid who was about 5 years old and I was 12. His dad was sitting on the side and was a very obese 3rd dan and was a referee. I was warned to let the kid do what he wanted before we started.

After the grading an older kid in my karate class (brown belt) said I should go and get in a fight at school -so I did when I didn't have to- and that was probably bad for my character development. :)

Eventually I left the non-contact karate McDojo after this new apprentice instructor who was probably 15 - 16 years old and had under 6 months total experience kicked me fully in the nuts while I was standing at attention, and then yelled at me, like it was for my own good. It was unregulated crap.

I had to unlearn many bad habits and it put me off MA for many years.
    Last edited by Lefty; 9/19/2005 7:29am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 9:20pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can I clarify a few things here?

Let me start by saying I am an ex GKR member/instructor and as time goes on I will let you guys know why I left.

I have read a few things on this thread that are possibly misunderstandings. I would also like to state that I no longeer support GKR and I do not like their practises at all. I do feel though that it is better to hear the truth than a lot of rumour and innuendo. Better to know the ugly truth....yes?

Firstly the Black Belt issue.

Black belts are not awarded at GKR after 1 year of training. It takes many years to acquire a BB at GKR. A lot of this is wrapped up in politics and money. Basically if you play your cards right you may get to BB within 4-5 years. To be more blunt - you need to have the right face to get BB. As many people leave MA once thay have achievd BB it is better to keep them paying and training for years. Giving out BBs after 1 year would send them broke.

I must add here that after a GKR student achieves BB they no lnger pay for training.

Fluffy has stated that SDCs get a BB in 12 months - total bulshido, An SDC can achieve BB in 2 years if they are an ARM (assistant regional Manager) and are in a position to be taking over or starting up a new region.

From what I have learned from other karate clubs, a student can achieve BB after three years average of consistant training.

Instructors

Many Instructors start at lower kyu grades, the average is Blue/Red belt (approx 12 months training) though many are green and there are some orange belts (3 months). These people wear a black belt with a white stripe down the centre. This may be the BB grading at 12 months you heard about, it is not a BB and any instructor who tells you it is is talking Bulshido.

There are Black Belt instructors who are very good and they have many years of training behind them BUT they are few and far between. I had a fantastic Nidan instructor who I have the greatest respect for, I was one of the fortunate ones.

These people are not paid by the club except for a small percentage of the fees they collect at the end of the year. It does not even cover petrol costs.

Instructors are not kids off the street. The youngest age a student can start to teach is 18. In the past there have been 16yo. I do not agree with this at all.

The SDC - Self Defense Consultant

The door to door sellers (SDC) talk a lot of shite - the standard joining fee is $50.00, even if you ask them to come back another night. DO NOT BE CONNED into forking out the $160.00 - If you want to join up with a dojo instructor it should be no more than $90.00 (this goes into the instructors pocket)

I know some people who are great who do this job and have a lot of time for them. Others are just.......idiots

One thing though, the door to door people rely on this money to survive. They are not paid a cent from the club. I have heard stories of people getting into serious financial difficulties working for GKR.

I do not know a lot about this area as I an not and have never been an SDC.

Management

GKR is split into Regions that are run by Region Managers(RM), some are nice, some are not so nice. Most are a part of the 'Robert Sullivan (RS) is a demi god' cult. I heard my RM talk about RS and this was just weird. It is part of what made me a bit suss about things. (that and actually meeting the man)

Basically they are out to make money, and karate takes a second seat to this. There are a few RMs who are the exception, but these guys actually come with a MA background that does not start with GKR. They tend to have smaller regions and a higher standard of instructors and students.

The standard of Karate

This really depends on where and with whom you train.There is no 'standard' to use a word. I was fortunate enough to have a very good instructor. He trained under Stacey Karetsian and some of the awesome original members of GKR from nearly twenty years ago. He passed on a lot of knowledge and experience to his students who later became instructors. He was also very demanding and has high expectations of his students. I have done classes with him in which I was convinced I was going to die before the end. However he cross trained elsewhere (without the club knowing).

Cross training with another style or club by instructors is frowned upon, I was never told but it was an understanding that instructors did not do this. My RM was not as strict as some on this matter but he preferred it was not done.

Unfortunately GKR loses a lot of their good instructors and those with potential as many are treated like **** by the RMs.

GKR is very good at teaching basic technique. If you want anything more than that look elsewhere. There is no real understanding of what you are being taught (unless you have an instructor who has bothered to do their best to learn) and this includes kata applications etc. When I moved on to my new club I was lucky enough to have a good enough technique that I had an idea of what I was doing.

Self Defense is what the club uses as its main selling point and many instructors do their best to teach what they can. Though some RMs do not teach good Self defense for the instructors to pass on to the students.

Insurance, police checks, instructor accreditation, first aid certificate

In my region this was a joke. The RM is supposed to do this for all new instructors. It never happened in 3.5 years that I was instructing. Some RMs are more on top of this but it comes down to when and if they can be bothered. Instructors pay for their own first aid certificate if and when the RM arranges for the course to be done. GKR would be stuffed if an allegation of child abuse was made.

Robert Sullivan

I have met this man on a number of occasions and he seems like a nice guy BUT there is something about him that just does not feel right to me. He claims to be a born again christian, but the way GKR is structured is very unchristian like. RS is also not afraid to take people to court. He has done this with another company that he started up in Adelaide before he founded GKR. It was an irrigation company that he basically tried to do the same with as he has done with GKR. He ended up in court with people stating they tried to steal his company. If this sounds familiar, he did the same thing a few years back when another group tried to break away from the club. He nearly financially ruined them and it got very nasty.

He may not be a con man - but he is very dodgy.

I hope this helps you all.

I have to end this by saying that I met some fantastic people in my time at GKR and made some great freinds. They are still great friends, I have had their full support in my decision to leave, but then I was lucky.
    Last edited by nortygirl; 11/07/2005 9:23pm at .

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 10:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast