Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 1:14am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuPengiun View Post
    Sadly, quality is disappointing in some parts of GKR. It really is a let down - However the downside to this argument, is the fact that there is a lot worse clubs out there (can say this from past experience).

I personally have started up wth GKR awhile back, and can happily say - Have yet to be to a crappy class yet (I hold a 1st dan in TKD). However, I haven't left the Brisbane regions for training yet.

Guess there are going to be rotten eggs no matter where you train.
    So what you are saying is that the quality of GKR clubs is not good but thats OK becouse there are worse clubs out there? Not exactly a ringing endorsment for GKR is it?

If you want to see a crap GKR session come to any of the GKR "dojo's" in the UK - I've seen them and the quality is appalling, lessons run by 7th kyu's who fall over when demonstrating kicks and games of "Sensei says" to fill time in the lesson as they don't any karate.

GKR is an export that Australia should hold it's head in shame over - along with Fosters, Neighbours and the Young Doctors.

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 12:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    So what you are saying is that the quality of GKR clubs is not good but thats OK becouse there are worse clubs out there? Not exactly a ringing endorsment for GKR is it?

If you want to see a crap GKR session come to any of the GKR "dojo's" in the UK - I've seen them and the quality is appalling, lessons run by 7th kyu's who fall over when demonstrating kicks and games of "Sensei says" to fill time in the lesson as they don't any karate.

GKR is an export that Australia should hold it's head in shame over - along with Fosters, Neighbours and the Young Doctors.
    Ah, don't read too much into it.

As I said, there are rotten eggs no matter where you go. I wouldn't be the first to admit that GKR expanded way too fast and incorrectly in the UK (hence why the USA branch is growing more steadily from what I've heard).

I said where I've trained, I've yet to have a problem. I can't vouch for every Dojo.
    Last edited by KungFuPengiun; 7/12/2011 12:12am at . Reason: Grammah!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 3:06am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuPengiun View Post
    Ah, don't read too much into it.

As I said, there are rotten eggs no matter where you go. I wouldn't be the first to admit that GKR expanded way too fast and incorrectly in the UK (hence why the USA branch is growing more steadily from what I've heard).

I said where I've trained, I've yet to have a problem. I can't vouch for every Dojo.
    I suspect that the quality in Aus is probably better. However, the GKR in the UK has less to do with Karate than a money making scam. I don't mind the fact that GKR goes door knocking and aggresivly markets itself provided that the quality of what is being delivered is high which in GKR's case it most certainly isn't. As I've said I've seen "sensai's" delivering classes who have only been doing karate for 6 months. Is that the same in Aus?

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 1:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    I suspect that the quality in Aus is probably better. However, the GKR in the UK has less to do with Karate than a money making scam. I don't mind the fact that GKR goes door knocking and aggresivly markets itself provided that the quality of what is being delivered is high which in GKR's case it most certainly isn't. As I've said I've seen "sensai's" delivering classes who have only been doing karate for 6 months. Is that the same in Aus?
    As far as I know, it's not like that here (My region). I am a "sempai", although, I've been doing it for a siginificant amount of time (with a dan in another style).

From what I've seen a sempai over here is generally assigned to a class, to mainly assist the sensei - Not take a full class (session). Until of course they are deemed by the regional manager that they have enough knowledge to take on their own class.

Yes, the sempai will/can take part of the class. It could be basics, some self defence and/or kata. They do need the exposure. (I can safely say, I've taken basics, done combinations and what-not, and absolutely fail at it, I'm more of a one-on-one person I think! But never taken a full class). The sensei should be picking up where the sempai is lacking if anything, you know, helping out the students, giving the whole class words of wisdom that the sempai might not have known - If that doesn't happen, then I'd be asking questions.

If anything I think they should be teaching the sempai's more in the sempai training program. The basic program isn't enough I feel; which I'll be putting forward to my RM.

Although, a good example of how things work here; My previous sempai, she was asked to take on a class after 2-2.5years sempai'ing for one of my sensei's (and is pretty awesome too!).

Oh, and I know what you mean about the Door-to-Door knocking and all. It's just as crazy over here.. But I guess and business will always be a business? (That sounded better in my head!) :(

Well, my post is full of good and bad things.. as usual. Hope it is some insight to my region for you. :)
    Last edited by KungFuPengiun; 7/14/2011 1:57am at . Reason: Added some stuff
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132