Our Sponsors:

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212728293031 32 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 4:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lack of serious training at GKR I have to agree with.

As mentioned in a previous post my wife and I are leaving after three years. Several reasons why. And I have to totally agree that quality of training in the style is pretty hit and miss. If you go to a good dojo I still think it is pretty good, but there are plenty of dojos that after two or three years you wouldn't know how to defend yourself.

They have also done several things to make things too simple. One thing (which I think is a bit odd) is that they have banned press ups except in the really tough classes. They think some people can't do them and could get depressed and quit.

Should be better ways of doing things I suspect.

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 4:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey, i am recently one who came round tonight... wanting to get into the whole karate thing.. i gave my debit card details over..

what could i do to stop this after reading i have changed my mind about GKR?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 7:17pm

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're screwed.

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 7:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    You're screwed.
    Nice lol. Ill just cancel a card or tell the bank.. cant do nothing then.. just thought there might be another way round it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 8:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They won't refund your money. But if you signed a contract with them I suggest you read your copy very carefully and see if there are any loopholes you may uncover.

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 8:15am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no contracts what so ever, if there was i haven't got a copy and that means its not legal anyway.

ill see what happens within the next week or so.s

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 9:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In that case just get the bank to block them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 10:42pm

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rask View Post
    Hello everyone.

I have just made my first-ever Bullshido evangelism attempt. Feedback wanted.
    Too wordy. Most people I find who are suckered into such faulty logic aren't exactly very bright in the 1st place.

Use analogies, they are much easier for simpler minds to grasp complex concepts.

Here's one just for you,
    The Art of Fighting is like the Art of cooking, both are skills that produce a result, in (a), a kicked ass and in (b), some edible product.

So what's the point in taking up fancy and expensive cooking classes if you don't actually cook anything? Sure you get titles and fancy hats, but what good are they if you can't cook?

Sure in sparring is nothing like real fighting, but its "limited/gentlemen's rules" fighting. No face strikes, use of weapons, etc depending on style.

Sparring is like a cook-off at the end of a lesson, which may last for more than one class, obviously teaching how to prepare oxtail soup will be alot more complex than preparing/cooking a French onion omelette.

Think about it, let me know, I know a few good schools.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GKR in Western Australia had a big push about 4 or 5 years back. I was door knocked at my fathers house, my house and my girlfriends place all in different towns. One of the guys was unbelievebly pushy to get me and my girlfriends brother to sign up that night. He spoke at length about how he could teach us to "break peoples arms and kill them". Having already been door knocked twice i already knew the general approach typically taken by the "style". I didnt mention I had been training in martial arts since age 8 until he had spoken for about 35 mins and began to start his push to get us to sign up. His reaction went a little something like this:

Me: Ive trained in judo and shotokan karate for a few years.
    GKR guy: oh yeah ? well gkr is the best martial art in australia right now (pulls out a display folder with 100's of testimonials and photos)
    Me: (trying to be polite) oh cool, so have you trained long ? (the reason i asked was because he came wearing a black belt over a gkr tracksuit, the black belt had a solid white stripe round the middle of the belt)
    Gkr guy:yeah i have
    Me: (thinking ok why didnt you say how long?) oh cool when did you start?
    Gkr guy: oh um, the start of last year (this would make it about 15 months), but thats the beauty of GKR you can learn so much if you pay attention, most people get black belt in 12 months if you come at least twice a week and everybody gets there first belt after 6 weeks!
    Me: ah ok, well is there a number i can contact you on ? (secretly thinking get the **** out you mcdojo loser)
    Gkr guy proceeds to stall and try to sell me and my gf's bro on it for 5 mins
    Me: ah k, well we will think about it and give you a call
    Gkr guy: ok well i dont give out my number so if you boys want you can come down to the town hall tomorrow night at 7 and watch the class and see how you feel about it
    Me: yeah sure see you there (thinking, i dont think i will)

I will make two side notes at this time 1. I have since discovered the black belt with a solid white stripe round the middle is the instructors belt and does not translate to a 1st dan. 2. To be a gkr door knocker/instructor you take a 3 week training course after which you can instruct and you recieve your black belt (with white stripe).

My girlfriends brother decided he would like to go check it out despite me saying i felt it would be awful. He asked if i would come and give him a bit of an idea how good it was, so i decieded i would (mostly to save him from this bullshit).

we got to the hall about 10 mins late and walked in and watched as 10 or 11 kids and young adults stood in a horse stance and did straight punches equal to the level of the "instructor" (which leads me to believe he had only in fact trained a very short time). We continued to watch as the instructor did a kata (poorly) and then attempted to teach it for the next 30 mins. the last 20 mins of the class was no contact sparring in which throughout the instructor didnt watch the students because he himself was sparring. 3 students recived injurys and the instructor could not kick about his waist and he was hit in the face with a straight punch by a 13 or 14 year old to which his responce was to make the kid do pushups for breaking the no contact rule. The class ended and before the gkr guy could come over and talk to us we both left and neither of us returned.

I cant say this kind of crap happens in every GKR school, but i think its very possible that this is a typical situation. so in conclusion id recommend keeping you distance from this "martial art" as it seems to be much more of a money spinning death machine. Its dangerous and poorly taught.

hope my experience with these guys has helped you form your own opinions. thanks for reading

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 8:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly, quality is disappointing in some parts of GKR. It really is a let down - However the downside to this argument, is the fact that there is a lot worse clubs out there (can say this from past experience).

I personally have started up wth GKR awhile back, and can happily say - Have yet to be to a crappy class yet (I hold a 1st dan in TKD). However, I haven't left the Brisbane regions for training yet.

Guess there are going to be rotten eggs no matter where you train.
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212728293031 32 LastLast