Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202627282930 3132 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 12:04am

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They think they can take out anybody. I miss kicking the **** out of those guys. Maybe I'll go back to Australia for a couple of weeks..... Hehe!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 7:42am

Style: BJJ, Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love to kick the crap out of some GKR fags. Do you know any good ways to get the chance to do this? Is there any chance whatsoever of getting them to accept to a full-contact NHB sparring match?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 8:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rask
    I'd love to kick the crap out of some GKR fags. Do you know any good ways to get the chance to do this? Is there any chance whatsoever of getting them to accept to a full-contact NHB sparring match?
    Penises away, gentlemen.

Seriously, most GKR people are NOOBS. Like less than a year training.
    As a consequence, they usually won't want to fight random badasses.

I've previously invited a GKR guy - a sensei (LOL) who was a red belt in GKR with no actual previous MA experience - to spar with me (note: spar, not fight). This was after hearing through a mutual acquaintance that he'd expressed an interest in sparring me.
    One of the members here kindly offered me a venue (matted, respectable school), another member offered to video it.
    Unfortunately, I may have sounded a little too eager, or our mutual friend told him about my MA experience (which while unimpressive to most, eclipsed his by about 15 years) and the GKR guy decided he'd rather just have technical discussions about kata.
    After all, that is what they do best.

I'm pretty convinced that the best way to hurt GKR is not to beat the **** out of them, but to get their students to migrate to real martial arts.

The fewer students there are to make easy money for the people further up the pyramid, the less attractive being a pretend-karate instructor becomes, and these people will hopefully move on to selling items of plastic kitchenware, sex toys or unbranded cleaning products.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 8:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: okinawa karate; muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daimyo
    Haha no, that's calloused hands. :icon_wink Anyways, chambering your hand looks like this:

Notice his left hand? It's supposed to emphasize proper hip rotation and what not, but I don't think it's really necessary. If you're going to teach a kid something, teach them right. It'll stick with them for the rest of their life.

You don't have to brawl with your kid. Maybe get a pair of focus mitts and teach him how to do a jab, cross, hook, etc. Do punching drills and keep it fun. Make him do a lot of repititions to get his technique down right. Have him do plyometrics and stuff. When he grows up he'll be an athletic god, he'll thank you for that when he gets the ladies. ;) Then you can enroll him into karate and he'll whoop everybodies ass.

Or is that too much for a 7 year old kid?

Yeah, insurance in non contact karate is stupid. I don't know why I didn't catch that earlier. I guess it's for the odd time somebody gets hurt.

that is wrong th idea of hikite (in traditional karate which is a contact sport; go to okinawa to check that) is grab an arm of the attacker and pull it while with the other hand you hit. the hit is the summation of proper mecahnics + the pull toward the punch. it is devastating

about th school is not traditional is one of the off shoot made up by some delusional practicant that want to become the new masutasu oyama

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 11:33am

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've recently had an ex gkr "sensei" join us (i think he was a brown belt) and while his kihon wasn't bad when i got to spar with him the other week he was utterly clueless .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 7:45pm

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taking students away from the pyramid scheme would be practical, but kicking the **** out of them is much more satisfying.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 5:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get him started in boxing and wrestling at a young age. I saw your style was boxing so you know in amature (where he would start out) they are very protected . The same thing with wrestling at his age. These two are a great base and most school have wrestling for free. Maybe one day when were all old we'll see you son on TV winning titles. And he sure as hell will no how to really fight , no false sence about it. Then maybe later on you can get him into BJJ or Judo. Leave the Karate alone.

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 9:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: gkr

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy View Post
    No, different spelling.
    well when the clube started it was called gokan ryu which means pedo or rapest and kancho found out so this is y it is no go kan ryu

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 1:42pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to get into the discussion so late, but I have to agree with the idea of having your kid take up wrestling and/or boxing. I never got to wrestle, but did box for a while and it has been a great addition to my arsenal.

I don't have anything to add about the GKR guys that has not been said, but I do have to say that if a karate school has little to no contact sparring, you need to run the other direction. In my school, the kids spar with as heavy of contact as they can generate. Light contact has its place, it is called a dance school and it should not be confused with being a martial art.

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 3:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just left GKR karate. My wife and I are going to study Goju Kai. So having left, I can feel reasonably open to the pluses and minuses of the club.

We trained reasonably seriously for three years (four nights a week) and achieved brown belt. Almost all our colleagues said that was very fast, in fact we failed our brown belt the first time around. Getting brown was f&*kin hard so I to say it is common to get black in 12 months is absolute rubbish. I do know one person who got black in under four years. He is the only one I know out of all our friends.

My personal view is that some criticisms are definitely valid. If you go to a bad gkr dojo (and there are a few of them) then you will spend a lot of time and not get many skills. However they do produce some very good karateka. I can't help but be impressed with the fact that they won every open karate tournament in Australia from 1986 to 1989 until they were taken out of official karate due to their door knocking recruitment. (Was probably another reason too, but I don't know)