Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 6:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: GKR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    Thank you for your honesty and contribution, the only advice I can give is leave. Even if you want to stick to karate there are far better clubs out there. If you really want to stay at GKR I advise questioning them about things like grappling, MMA, UFC, BJJ, judo, wrestling, Muay thai, etc. If there responses include "to deadly" or "elbow to spine" then you can safely conclude that they have no worthwhile experience whatsoever.
    Actually all the instructors Ive trained under bar one (and Ive had lessons with at least 5 different people) have all explained why some of the moves are done and how it would work in a fight, and how to anticipate how to overcome an attacker, our classes have involved a more practical self defense and covered weak points and has included getting people to the floor where you could do no end of damage to them with them having little reprise and how if you find yourself on the floor how you can get out of it to the best of your abilities..

But again I think under GKR a lot of what they feel they have to limit the teaching to is because of the age of people, and the fact that they dont want to be arming kids to be bullies able to do some major damage.

I would like to see instructors walking round with those big mits so you can really hit or kick them (the mits that is), as yeah if I had to hit someone in a real fight Id probably hurt me more than the intended victim if I got it wrong. After all and this is something Ive said in class but if you were to be attacked you cant exactly ask them to take their shoes off and follow GKR sparing rules now can you?

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 7:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu and bad karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would strongly advise you to leave GKR. The reason that you will see few adults classes is that most adults will realise fairly early on that the standard of karate is utter rubbish and leave. Most of their money (and lets face that's why they exist) is based on kids classes. Parents are happy to drop them off thinking that they will learn karate or see GKR as some kind of kids club.

There are adults classes but they are geared around the more gullible students being "groomed" as new trainee black and white belted instructors.

Which bit of the UK do you live in? I'm in the Thames valley and there seems to be a rash of GKR clubs around the area.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 7:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really would feel uncomfortable to say where abouts in the UK I am, but, I am not in your area. Only other club I can see in reasonable disatnace of me is Karate World, and as I said before, I heard bad things there, such as if you walked in with your cheque book you could almost just buy a black belt no training.. so.. out of the choice of 2 GKR somehow seems a little better.

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 9:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu and bad karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK I appreciate what you are saying - by the way - thanks for being so honest in your post. If you did want to carry on with Karate two organisations I probably could recommend are KUGB and JKA. Links are:
    http://www.kugb.org/
    http://www.jka-england.org/

The standard of karate in both organisations are substantially higher than GKR (although that wouldn't be difficult........). You may find a local club to you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 11:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, neither seem to have clubs within a reasonable disatance of me most look to be at least an hours drive. Which would be a bit of a step to "try" something.

I just wish more sports were represented around the UK in a professional manner, my chosen sport (not a MA, which would clearly identify me to most local GKR people) is held once a week for adults, and this is the only class available within it would appear about a 2 hour drive of where I am. The class in question is run by someone who is less qualified than my dog and they have no equipment. Im impressed given the nature of the sport that there havent been deaths let alone major injuries.

And they wonder why obesity is on a rise? so many sports which would keep you fit are badly represented.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 2:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=daimyo]Haha no, that's calloused hands. :icon_wink Anyways, chambering your hand looks like this:

So no form of karate that teaches this is correct, or what?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by okashiibudo

So no form of karate that teaches this is correct, or what?
    If you're responding to Diamyo, his post was over two years ago... and he hasn't posted in over a year...
    You may wait a while for a response...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen101
    If you're responding to Diamyo, his post was over two years ago... and he hasn't posted in over a year...
    You may wait a while for a response...
    Ha! I didn't notice that. Ah well...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 5:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I would update this following the last couple of weeks issues.

Because of the actions of the regional manager, I intend to train purely as a manner of fitness and respect to the other senseis in the region who do act in a professional and respectful manner.

Unfortunately it means I can never grade again because the regional manager upsets me so much I couldnt bear to be within the same dojo as him let alone bow as a sign of respect.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 6:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thKyu

Because of the actions of the regional manager, I intend to train purely as a manner of fitness and respect to the other senseis in the region who do act in a professional and respectful manner.
    By continuing to train, you are actually paying the RM.
    You're putting money directly in his pocket.
    This is a bad thing.
    Unfortunately it means I can never grade again because the regional manager upsets me so much I couldnt bear to be within the same dojo as him let alone bow as a sign of respect
    By not grading, you're at least denying them some money.
    Go the whole hog and leave their pitiful, non-contact, kata-fixated pretend karate behind you.
    Seriously.
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 23242526 ... LastLast