Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 5:36am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did ZDK in my youth, and it was at its height then. Mainly non-contact sparring (but they did sparring) and a mix-mash of karate-ish stuff. A massive money spinner. I remember seeing the 4-year-old child of a very high ranking ZDK guy walking around as a black-belt... dunno if it was honorary. It was crap produced on mass.

I've also run across ZDR... mainly through Kali. I can only say that again it is market-driven and their use of sticks is a real shame... like most I spose. You can't just pick up a stick for 30 mins a week and expect to be very good. People from this group tried to infiltrate my club and learn Arnis on the sly so they could teach it back at their own club as their own stuff.

The worst thing about ZDK is it pushed all the BS ridiculous views about taking on multiple attackers, disarming people people with knives and guns and what not. Like most MAs better off doing something where you actually learn fighting skills. BTW the club I went to was actually pretty good from all accounts. Our sensei was one mean **** - lots of people in the organisation when it started were bikers and bouncers though I don't know how long that lasted... by the time I was on the scene at 12-years-old it was just mass-market non-sense served by your friendly neighbourhood ready-boy.
    Last edited by I aint punchy!?; 8/08/2006 5:40am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 7:56am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=bornsceptic]It's definitely Zen Do Kai offshoot

http://www.zendoryu.com.au/history.htm yep thats them good to see most people know what thier talking about , my son has done one class and had a lot of fun I hope I didn't see the best in the first class. I will still give them a chance for training a class of kids can't be that easy . hope the Gi's don't cost to much

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 8:44am

Style: Freestyle Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I start, I'll make this clear. I don't do Zen Do Kai. I've tried out ZDK, and it wasn't MY thing. And I don't do Karate (anymore).

To be fair, ZDK isn't necissarily a bad thing. Although admitedly it does have a rather dark history which makes it an easy target to rag on. To their credit, in more recent times they gave themselves a good kick up the backside and tried to get things back on track. Problem is, by the time they set out to fix themselves up, the damage had pretty much been done.

They HAVE produced some excellent teachers and students in general. And if it wasn't for ZDK the Kickboxing/Muay Thai scene here in Australia wouldn't anywhere near the level it is now.

There are a LOT of ZDK breakaways out there, and with those groups you'll take a gamble. Obviously it wil be a case of hit-or-miss, and in your case Kiam I'll let you be the judge.

Let's see what happens from here.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kiam, seriously, have the kid try out a Judo class. It's great for kids because they are small enough to chuck each other all over the place without much risk of injury, it's great fun and exercise and it teaches genuine skills, rather than dangerous delusions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 5:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm hoping this would be just a start for him I would like to get him into judo so I'm not ignoring that advise. I will be there at every karate lesson maybe he could do both. At the moment I am happy he has a more pysical intrest other than the playstation I do not want to pay good money for my son to learn bullshido art so I thank every one who has given advice on this thread and the insight into GKR.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 6:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest Kiam, from what others have said he'll mainly learn bad habits at the karate school, and the longer he's there the more likely they'll sucker him in and you'll be stuck paying their fees for years.

What's worse, there's a chance he will gain a mistaken impression of his own fighting prowess, which could get him in real trouble.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 12:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiam
    I had some bloke come to my front door the other day looking for people interested in joining karate.Myself being interested in martial arts heard him out and let him come back latter to give me the full sales pitch,prices,location ect.It didn't interest me much when I was told it was non cantact.I was thinking of my 7 year old son. He was interested, but I got thinking if he done it for 2-3years and becomes a black belt in a non contact karate, it will be a false belief that he can fight. :new_cussi Although I think it is a rip off I will go down and have a look. I don't think we will be participating, as the price was 7-8 dollars a night plus $160 insurance. Unless I paid or joined the night he came knocking I would of got 50% off the insurance.
    Why do you need to pay insurance? That should be up to the school to do. Besides, his insurance should be pretty cheap... since they do no contact. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    To be honest Kiam, from what others have said he'll mainly learn bad habits at the karate school, and the longer he's there the more likely they'll sucker him in and you'll be stuck paying their fees for years.

What's worse, there's a chance he will gain a mistaken impression of his own fighting prowess, which could get him in real trouble.
    I have convinced him to we should check out some judo and that karate of from what I know of is pretty much crap. He actualy tried one of the moves at school where he he asked a girl to take his arm and he could get out of it, she of course wasn't as compliant as they were the other night at the gym, and he had a hard time getting his arm out. They were promoting it as how to get away from stranger ect. As far as I can see karate is over rated watered down crap unless you go to Japan where it is passed down from generation to generation

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 8:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The need to be more informed....

I think you guys need to have a little more information before going off half cocked and slandering a great club.......sorry but it had to be said!!!!

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 10:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keberos
    Still, I wonder about the claims that you could get a GKR Black Belt in 4-5 years. I've just dealt with many reliable sources who tell me this isn't the case ( ie. some get their BB in less than 12 months). Whenever I saw GKR demonstrated, it didn't do much to dispell this idea. Although you could probably attribute this to having ignorant instructors who graded people way too quickly. But if that's the case, there are a LOT of ignorant GKR instructors (actually, you could argue that they're ALL ignorant... but I couldn't be bothered starting another argument).

I'd like you to give us a bit more then "I've heard you can gain a BB in less then 12 months", thats just plain bullshit, hey! I could claim to have gone to the moon on the weekend but that doesn't make it true. The minimum that has been set in the club is 4 years, in most cases its more, If anyone would like to challenge this, give me the name of the person who received a black belt in less then 4 years.

I as you may have guessed train with the club and will be happy to HONESTLY answer any questions that anyone may have, all I ask is that if someone is going to say something to back it up with some form of fact, so much of what has been said so far is very inaccurate it just develops more and worse "facts" that everyone seems so happy to believe without any basis or proof.
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast