Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/09/2005 8:49pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Go-kan-ryu karate came knocking.

I had some bloke come to my front door the other day looking for people interested in joining karate.Myself being interested in martial arts heard him out and let him come back latter to give me the full sales pitch,prices,location ect.It didn't interest me much when I was told it was non cantact.I was thinking of my 7 year old son. He was interested, but I got thinking if he done it for 2-3years and becomes a black belt in a non contact karate, it will be a false belief that he can fight. :new_cussi Although I think it is a rip off I will go down and have a look. I don't think we will be participating, as the price was 7-8 dollars a night plus $160 insurance. Unless I paid or joined the night he came knocking I would of got 50% off the insurance.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 1:09am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't sign your kid up. Having him join non contact karate will make him develop some bad habits like chambered hands etc. Besides, 7-8 dollars a night sounds a little expensive to me. But I guess it depends on how often you go.

If you want to prepare your kid for martial arts in the future I say enroll him into a wrestling or boxing club. Although I'm not %100 sure there are wrestling clubs for little kids.

In any case he'll have excellent conditioning and an awesome base for other martial arts in the future. Plus, wrestling and boxing is no nonsense, there is no BS. Granted he might not do to much sparring in boxing, he'll have great technique among other things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 1:28am

Style: shotokan,ninjitsu,aiki-ju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHY DO U HAVE TO PAY INSURANCE IN A NON CONTACT KARATE SCHOOL.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 1:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm123
    WHY DO U HAVE TO PAY INSURANCE IN A NON CONTACT KARATE SCHOOL.
    I think that's a very good point I wish I had asked myself.I think it's a exploytation of karate. I never learn about letting sales people in is never no good.(except maybe foxtel).I pesonnally would think it would be a terrible self defence but apparintly it offers more. I would like to teach my son boxing myself but find he just wants to brawl me rather than lissen which I think can help him in an aggressive way.Maybe I have to wait for some one at school to beat him before he will lissen to me :icon_scra

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 2:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=daimyo]Don't sign your kid up. Having him join non contact karate will make him develop some bad habits like chambered hands etc. what is chambered hands it sounds like something you can get from to much masterbating or does that some up this form of karate :XXbunny:

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 2:10am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw and got more accidents in non-contact martial arts (one of my friends nearly died from kick to head), than in muay thai or savate. Funny, but maybe itīs the mindset of "no-contact", so you are not so alert.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 2:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduck
    I saw and got more accidents in non-contact martial arts (one of my friends nearly died from kick to head), than in muay thai or savate. Funny, but maybe itīs the mindset of "no-contact", so you are not so alert.
    I never even thought of the accidental blows, :eusa_clap no wonder they take out insurance I was worried about things like sprained ankels things like that.I may still have a look but have no intencion of joining

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 2:27am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiam
    what is chambered hands it sounds like something you can get from to much masterbating or does that some up this form of karate :XXbunny:
    Haha no, that's calloused hands. :icon_wink Anyways, chambering your hand looks like this:

Notice his left hand? It's supposed to emphasize proper hip rotation and what not, but I don't think it's really necessary. If you're going to teach a kid something, teach them right. It'll stick with them for the rest of their life.

You don't have to brawl with your kid. Maybe get a pair of focus mitts and teach him how to do a jab, cross, hook, etc. Do punching drills and keep it fun. Make him do a lot of repititions to get his technique down right. Have him do plyometrics and stuff. When he grows up he'll be an athletic god, he'll thank you for that when he gets the ladies. ;) Then you can enroll him into karate and he'll whoop everybodies ass.

Or is that too much for a 7 year old kid?

Yeah, insurance in non contact karate is stupid. I don't know why I didn't catch that earlier. I guess it's for the odd time somebody gets hurt.

The Eternal n00b

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 6:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiam
    I don't think we will be participating, as the price was 7-8 dollars a night plus $160 insurance. Unless I paid or joined the night he came knocking I would of got 50% off the insurance.
    It's hiked a couple of dollars and then some since I last trained with them ages ago.

I'll second most of the stuff said here. No contact, large mcdojo. Not recommended for people interested in practical application.

I should go back and visit someday, I'm pretty sure I purchased the life membership option.

Shoot me, I was a kid.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 6:14am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't Go Kan japanese for rape?
Page 1 of 32 1 234511 ... LastLast