Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 2:21pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman_withers
    :5badair:

... NO. If you stick a needle in me I'm going to ask you for a band aid and a refund. I'm sorry, but acupuncture is bullshit. No way in hell can you convince me that sticking a tiny needle in the skin, not even deep into the musculature, can heal internal and external problems. Sure it might be relaxing or have a placebo effect on a number of individuals, but I just think that scientifically there is no way to prove its effectiveness.
    If only you knew that the stuff does actually work a bit. People study Chinese medicine for years, just like Western medicine. The problem is that we never got exposed to the Chinese meridians or the Chinese medicine in the Western world, and we went through a period where doctors dismissed it as quack medicine without fully understanding it. It's only now that they're starting to find proof that the acupuncture and other alternative healing works. Even the medical journals are starting to acknowledge this. Ask the Chinese about it, and I think you will find that there is some merit to acupuncture and using herbs. The Chinese have been doing this for thousands of years, so I think they would know something, or they wouldn't spend so much time learning it. Some schools let you study Chinese as well as Western medicine and get degrees in both. I've seen a guy use acupuncture on a guy's wrist, who was able to keep performing wrist locks after he had a few needles stuck in him (it looked weird, and he gave him this bandage with some kind of holes on it. He might have had some stuff he put on it too, not exactly sure). Reiki also has healing properties. However, just like anything else, no medicine is 100%, so I can't guarantee that it works for everybody, but it does relieve pain and works well for others but not so well for some people. In fact, if you do Hapkido, I think you would be surprised to know that some of the higher-ranking hapkido people do healing and internal arts also (can't remember the Korean names for the healing stuff or the Chinese medicine equivalent they have, but it's similar).

Seriously, you can't argue about something you don't know much about. Any of these healing arts takes years and years to perfect. It is pretty complicated and involves intense study of the systems in the body. It is like going to school for another degree and takes practice to make it work at all.

Genius

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If only you knew that the stuff does actually work a bit.
    No, it doesn't. There is no science to support it.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have yet to hear of a good double-blind test or one with any scientific merit...
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Genius

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 3:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry, QF will be along and he'll post dozens of links and tell us to find the problems with all of them.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Don't worry, QF will be along and he'll post dozens of links and tell us to find the problems with all of them.
    Inevitably.

But we all know the Chinese knew everything, and knew it 4,000 years before us.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

X

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are lots of things that have been done for thousands of years, that are 100% ****: take religions for instance.

-> It doesn't matter which one you believe in; most of the stuff that still exists today is several thousands of years old...

Now, you say, but they ARE true, because we believe in them.

So is Jesus the son of God, or is he not?

-> Christianity = yes
    Judaism = no

... and these are 2 religions that are possibly the closest ones to each other, at least in the Western tradition; both, I believe, have existed for over 1000 years, and have over 1000 000 believers.

They can not both be correct.
    Last edited by LLL; 9/10/2005 5:07pm at .

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 5:49pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken

So you need more time to come up with an answer?

Maybe you, oldman withers, and kistrael could put your heads together and come up with something. A speaker repair person, a waiter, and a retail slut...this ought to be fun. You could try to just post some 20 year old article again, but try to be original.

Genius

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 5:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When the scientific community comes together and gives acupuncture their endorsement, let me know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 7:27pm

Style: Martial Arts man!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman_withers
    :5badair:

... NO. If you stick a needle in me I'm going to ask you for a band aid and a refund. I'm sorry, but acupuncture is bullshit. No way in hell can you convince me that sticking a tiny needle in the skin, not even deep into the musculature, can heal internal and external problems. Sure it might be relaxing or have a placebo effect on a number of individuals, but I just think that scientifically there is no way to prove its effectiveness.

Accupuncture DOES work..kind of:( Recent studies suggest that fine needles can relax muscles and help the body release natural opiates. The thing that is funny though is that these studies show that needles stuck anywhere can help relax you not in 'specific energy' spots.
    I really want to get KO'd via Ppoint. I don't believe it...at all. I was reading one site about PP and it stated that they should be used to solicit a reaction, to irritate not to KO.

Go to Dillman's board, they stand behind their fatman now more than ever. I love it/

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 11:20pm

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopefully someone here will record and post it. I saw the show, and if you think it's funny to read the excuse it's even better to SEE him say it. It honestly looked to me like he was making up the excuses as he went along.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast