Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 3:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just figured I'd necro my own thread since I've been back on bullshido reading the forums lately. Unfortunately, I had some personal and financial problems soon after making my original post in this thread which forced me to quit BJJ almost immediately after starting but after a too-long break I'm back at Easton BJJ and making up lost time. Only been back a few weeks so I'm just a 1 stripe white belt but it's still easily the best martial arts experience I've ever had and I hope it only gets better as I gain more skills and figure out how to roll without getting my ass handed to me by people who weigh more (not hard, I'm very light for my height).

Anyway, just as a bit of a post-mortem on my OP I thought I'd say I still have several friends who started SD at the same time as me and they still attend classes. At this point, they're all ranked 2nd black or higher (you have to be a 1st black for 2 years to test to 2nd, 2nd black for 3 years to test to 3rd, etc) and surprisingly to me, they're all still super into the classes there. At the 2nd black and up level all your new material comes from the special weekend/seminar classes you have to pay extra for but you also get all the students lower than you deferring to you on all matters which is probably a nice ego boost.

At first when I started BJJ I just avoided talking about martial arts with those friends completely, even though I'm so psyched about BJJ and the new perspectives it's given me, but it does come up in conversations and I try to be as chill about it as possible even though I just want to repeatedly slap them while chanting that their entire system is phony and derived from **** that has nothing to do with shaolin or chinese martial arts. I generally just smile and nod when we get to the part of the conversation where we discuss the differences and strengths/weaknesses of the system and no matter what SD person I'm talking to the first thing they always go to is that at "their level" the main focus is no longer learning basic combat/fighting techniques but the advanced pressure point/joint lock bullshit that would allow them to take on multiple opponents if they have to. And when they say this stuff they're being completely serious which blows my mind, but then again that used to be. My philosophy has so completely changed since I quit SD that I often have to put myself back in my old shoes and remember how I used to think and regard my own ability (which was extremely inflated not just from the stories I was told about how I would automatically kick ass, but the fact that I had in fact gotten a lucky knockout on a drunk guy at a concert and rode the buzz of that high for months).

Like I said though, my way of thinking was completely different back then. I thought that when I got to brown belt I was done with "basic" techniques since I could obviously kick anyone's ass easily and that I'd spend the rest of my martial arts career working on "advanced" techniques so I could gain the amazing powers of Sin The like melting babies and swimming up rivers with my pecs. Nowadays I don't think there's such a thing as a basic or advanced technique, there's just effective techniques that you drill thousands of times until you are confident in your ability to perform them under pressure (of course I just stole that from Matt Thornton but it pretty much sums up how I feel).
    Last edited by artard; 6/15/2007 3:32pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh also I'd like to give a 2-year delayed "**** off clown" to Omar for responding on the first page of this thread without even reading my original post. That **** is lame son.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 3:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are basic and advanced techniques.

A front snap kick is easier and more basic than certain spinning kicks. Thing is you shouldn't have to wait years/decades to learn said techniques.

Or be a special level.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/15/2007 3:40pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 3:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure, and there's obviously varying levels technicality required to setup certain submissions in BJJ, but no martial are should have a special class of students who trained for X amount of time (or paid a certain fee) so they are revealed the "advanced art" which is somehow going to vastly improve their game (as opposed to just training a lot), but you know what I mean. It seems like in BJJ (at least my school) one's training time or belt level is only a factor for safety reasons and for how intense the classes are so as not to overwhelm new students. Whereas in SD there were entire new styles you learned and were supposed to be able to apply in sparring being introduced at every level and the very senior black belts had their own special classes where they spent the whole time striking pressure point dummies with their fingers.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 4:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by artard
    Sure, and there's obviously varying levels technicality required to setup certain submissions in BJJ, but no martial are should have a special class of students who trained for X amount of time (or paid a certain fee) so they are revealed the "advanced art" which is somehow going to vastly improve their game (as opposed to just training a lot), but you know what I mean. It seems like in BJJ (at least my school) one's training time or belt level is only a factor for safety reasons and for how intense the classes are so as not to overwhelm new students. Whereas in SD there were entire new styles you learned and were supposed to be able to apply in sparring being introduced at every level and the very senior black belts had their own special classes where they spent the whole time striking pressure point dummies with their fingers.
    Trust me I know I taught the crap.

Your observation although completely factual from word of mouth is wrong. Your training was about the same as the upper levels until fifth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which part is wrong? By "new styles being continually introduced" I was referring to the seminars that taught new drunken/weapon/hsing i/jerkofffu forms and how the masters were continually harping on "make sure to use this in sparring" immediately after showing various groin tearing/eye gouging applications. And the "advanced class" I referred to was indeed for 5th blacks and above, they basically stopped training martial arts (if they had in the first place) and spent most of their time practicing mystical powers which enabled them to kill people with 1 well placed hit, etc. So yea, the experience for 2nd-4th blacks seemed to be consistent across the board in that you continue to attend lower belt/black belt classes to polish your old material while everything new comes from extra/pay classes. So which part was wrong? Not trying to be combative here, just not sure what you're referring to?

edit: also out of curiosity, what school did you teach at, if you don't mind saying? was it a CSC school or a different Sin The SD school? I've always been curious about how the curriculum differed at the non-CSC SD schools.
    Last edited by artard; 6/15/2007 4:16pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 4:23pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which part is wrong? By "new styles being continually introduced" I was referring to the seminars that taught new drunken/weapon/hsing i/jerkofffu forms and how the masters were continually harping on "make sure to use this in sparring" immediately after showing various groin tearing/eye gouging applications. And the "advanced class" I referred to was indeed for 5th blacks and above, they basically stopped training martial arts (if they had in the first place) and spent most of their time practicing mystical powers which enabled them to kill people with 1 well placed hit, etc. So yea, the experience for 2nd-4th blacks seemed to be consistent across the board in that you continue to attend lower belt/black belt classes to polish your old material while everything new comes from extra/pay classes. So which part was wrong? Not trying to be combative here, just not sure what you're referring to?
    Its the same for the fifths. That's why I'm saying what you heard is wrong. There material is festivals.

edit: also out of curiosity, what school did you teach at, if you don't mind saying? was it a CSC school or a different Sin The SD school? I've always been curious about how the curriculum differed at the non-CSC SD schools.
    I was CSC. I know some SDers. It is pretty much the same just certain ranks and forms are switched. Also, they only do the Seminars for GMT and SMBL. All the other stuff is contained within class as it should be.

The 5th and up work by themselves (which is stupid) but, they have forms and crap just like the 2nd Blacks. It is stated differently so it sounds mystical. The training isn't different.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** I'm glad I didn't stick around then (as if that's the only reason), I was looking forward to learning the death touch when I got to 5th black :(

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 5:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** I'm glad I didn't stick around then (as if that's the only reason), I was looking forward to learning the death touch when I got to 5th black :(
    Tee hee I was basically one rank away before I saw the truth.

So, imagine how I feel.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 5:26pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a link where we discuss the Dim Mak and Pressure points.http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52197
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast