Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I'm a nice guy, I'm going to imbue your moronic thread necromancy with some small particle of meaning.

I've been meaning to brush up on Shaolin-Do for a couple of days now, anyway, ever since I encountered a guy over at www.thehighroad.org who told everyone that kung fu is the ultimate, mma and grappling are stupid, and Bruce Lee and Jet Li were the greatest fighters ever. We ended up in a stupid argument about Jet Li and WuShu; according to this genius, Jet Li is "far more than an actor" who is only humble "because he's a Tibetan monk!"

He proceeds to tell me that he's "the wrong guy to argue with about Kung Fu history, I was an instructor at the Chinese something-something center in Colorado for years!"

I looked into it and found the Soards' school; he confirmed that was the school where he worked.

Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm kinda busy with Comba-Tai at the moment, but it's too good an opportunity to pass up.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 10:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Because I'm a nice guy, I'm going to imbue your moronic thread necromancy with some small particle of meaning.

I've been meaning to brush up on Shaolin-Do for a couple of days now, anyway, ever since I encountered a guy over at www.thehighroad.org who told everyone that kung fu is the ultimate, mma and grappling are stupid, and Bruce Lee and Jet Li were the greatest fighters ever. We ended up in a stupid argument about Jet Li and WuShu; according to this genius, Jet Li is "far more than an actor" who is only humble "because he's a Tibetan monk!"

He proceeds to tell me that he's "the wrong guy to argue with about Kung Fu history, I was an instructor at the Chinese something-something center in Colorado for years!"

I looked into it and found the Soards' school; he confirmed that was the school where he worked.

Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm kinda busy with Comba-Tai at the moment, but it's too good an opportunity to pass up.

You should find the Jet Li quoute from the movie he worked with Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture in and show him that Jet Li acknowledges they would kill him in a real fight and that he's a martial art actor not a fighter.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but he only said that because he's a Tibetan monk and therefore too humble to explain how his stage combat training in wushu enables him to defeat such fighters.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 3:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WC, MMA, Shaolin-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coming from a guy who spent 12 years of his life in Shaolin-do I can tell you that the Soards and 90% of their students are a bunch of tools. Our school doesn't even recognize them at the level they call themselves. I can tell you from what I've been told they begged the old man (GM Sin) to bump them up the ranks because everyone else in their area are 8 and 9th degree masters and they were only around 6 at the time, but that's coming from the lexington guys who hate them with a passion. They aren't invited to any of the main schools tourney's or seminars. So in my opinion don't use those turds as a measure for the whole style.

I can tell you from my experience is that there are a lot of good schools in the style and there are also a lot of garbage schools. Most of the Masters are outstanding individuals and just about everyone affiliated with the main lexington branch falls under that "good" school description. The people who teach in these schools are some of the better human beings i've met on this earth and have a true love for their martial arts. The school i trained at, in Kentucky was a great school and it was a great experience. The people who i trained with had a realistic view of the art and what part of the ciricullum was effective and what part was probably going to get you killed, but they taught it part of the whole system regardless to keep it's integrity. The problem i had with the school was it doesn't address the ground game at all, and some of the techniques are not only just for show but would get you absolutely killed in a real fight. There is also way too much reliance on chi balls of thunder in the system and dim mak at higher levels. I found also that because the ciricullum is so huge you never really master anything but become the jack of all styles which gets frustrating to someone like me who wants to understand completely what i'm learning. The money issue is also a factor. any of the higher advanced stuff you get to learn comes at a price even though it is supposedly part of the knowledge you are supposed to get in the first place.

Just FYI

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 9:28pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nkyshaolin
    I can tell you from my experience is that there are a lot of good schools in the style and there are also a lot of garbage schools. Most of the Masters are outstanding individuals and just about everyone affiliated with the main lexington branch falls under that "good" school description. The people who teach in these schools are some of the better human beings i've met on this earth and have a true love for their martial arts. The school i trained at, in Kentucky was a great school and it was a great experience. The people who i trained with had a realistic view of the art and what part of the ciricullum was effective and what part was probably going to get you killed, but they taught it part of the whole system regardless to keep it's integrity. The problem i had with the school was it doesn't address the ground game at all, and some of the techniques are not only just for show but would get you absolutely killed in a real fight. There is also way too much reliance on chi balls of thunder in the system and dim mak at higher levels. I found also that because the ciricullum is so huge you never really master anything but become the jack of all styles which gets frustrating to someone like me who wants to understand completely what i'm learning. The money issue is also a factor. any of the higher advanced stuff you get to learn comes at a price even though it is supposedly part of the knowledge you are supposed to get in the first place.

Just FYI

Such was also my experience when I did Shaolin Do (1998-2005). It makes for an interesting contrast with all the extra nonsense that I've heard about with the Soard side of things.
    Last edited by War Wizard; 2/20/2007 9:31pm at .
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 8:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And being from Johnson City you probably studied under M Gary Mullins. I have a ton of respect for that guy as a martial artist! Probably one of the best martial artists i've ever come in contact with.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 12:53pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And being from Johnson City you probably studied under M Gary Mullins. I have a ton of respect for that guy as a martial artist! Probably one of the best martial artists i've ever come in contact with.
    No ****, Master Mullins is hands down one of the coolest cats I've ever met and a good martial artist to boot. Honestly, the biggest reason I hung with SD for so long was because of him.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coming from a guy who spent 12 years of his life in Shaolin-do I can tell you that the Soards and 90% of their students are a bunch of tools. Our school doesn't even recognize them at the level they call themselves. I can tell you from what I've been told they begged the old man (GM Sin) to bump them up the ranks because everyone else in their area are 8 and 9th degree masters and they were only around 6 at the time, but that's coming from the lexington guys who hate them with a passion. They aren't invited to any of the main schools tourney's or seminars. So in my opinion don't use those turds as a measure for the whole style.
    Not completely true. The 90% i'd raise to 99.
    In the 12+years I was in they recieved 2 rank promotions.

Just FYI
    I agree.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/21/2007 1:29pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 2:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No ****, Master Mullins is hands down one of the coolest cats I've ever met and a good martial artist to boot. Honestly, the biggest reason I hung with SD for so long was because of him.
    yeah M. Mullins is the balls! I saw him kick a freaking basketball backboard one time standing flat footed underneath of it! I about **** myself!!!

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man! I love this!! Everyone in Ky hates on Shoalin Do. I have actually been to the Head school in Lexington. I tuaght at another school and they actually had a good Judo instructor there. So I went to train and they had all these drawings on the walls. One was of Jojo the Dog Boy! Seriously. That was supposed to be a GM or something. There is also a Sin The book! It is all over Ky like a bad case of ringworm
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast