Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 3:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmonkey
    About those 'techniques too dangerous' to use in matches...

Why criticize Shaolin Kung fu for this? All martial arts I know, including MMA have similar restrictions to protect the fighter.

For example, if you were wrestling, and your opponent uses his fingernail to scratch your cornea causing potential permanent eye damage, wouldn't you want there to be a rule against it?

I don't think it makes you less of a martial artist, just a sensible one.
    The majority of techniques taught in shaolin as "deadly" and "effective" are never drilled in an alive manner so...

1) How do you even know the techniques work or the extend to which they would incapacitate an opponent if successfully performed?
    2) Assuming they are as deadly/effective as advertised (which is a big assumption), you have 0 practice actually doing them on a resisting opponent so how do you know you'll even be able to do it in an actual fight?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tao
    Why do people care that much about verification for what they believe in? Is it really THAT important to have scientific proof for what you believe or don't believe in? Do people no longer take time to think about things and look to themselves for answers instead of quantum physics professor for answers?
    It matters if you are concerned about learning something like Dim Mak or Martial Arts for the purpose of combat. You can believe that faith in JC will allow you to walk on water, but go ahead and do it. Real big difference. Just because you believe it doesn't make it true. Just because someone tells you it is so, doesn't make it so. In order to believe in something shouldn't it be based in reality? You can spend all day thinking because you are studying some "superior martial art" that you can kick everybodies ass outside of it, but believing it and doing it are two separate things. Also you may believe your chi will stop bullets, but it won't. I think survival is the reason one has to question the validity of chi.

There are limits to the physical world. Faith doesn't overcome these laws.

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido

I can understand why this site is called "Bullshido." ...so many statements that have no basis in personal experience...not to mention outright lies.

It's not a credible forum for martial arts discussion...so many of the remarks made are merely inflammatory. I regret seeing some really fine martial artists (and fine human beings) being falsely represented or criticized.

I've practiced more than one martial arts disciplines to the level of black or higher. Garry Mullins is an EXCEPTIONAL martial artist and teacher.

Students must take responsibility for what they are taught and practice, practice, practice.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by artard
    The majority of techniques taught in shaolin as "deadly" and "effective" are never drilled in an alive manner so...

1) How do you even know the techniques work or the extend to which they would incapacitate an opponent if successfully performed?
    2) Assuming they are as deadly/effective as advertised (which is a big assumption), you have 0 practice actually doing them on a resisting opponent so how do you know you'll even be able to do it in an actual fight?
    Some things speak for themselves, a punch hurts, one to the throat can kill you. The temple area of the skull is very thin. An elbow or a fist to it could kill someone. Your eyes can be poked out. Your throat can be ripped out. It requires strength, speed, and a serious mean streak. The nose can be broken. The elbow can be broken, the knee too. Stomping on the foot works too so does a kick to the ribs or stomach. How do you know you will be able to do anything in an actual fight untill you are in one? I think you have to find someone and drill those techniques, if you don't they are a waste of your time as far as combat application is concerned. You also have to practice on a bag or a shield, oh yeah there is also sparring but you need a willing partner.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Students must take responsibility for what they are taught and practice, practice, practice.
    I agree
    Last edited by goldenz; 6/27/2007 11:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 5:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can understand why this site is called "Bullshido." ...so many statements that have no basis in personal experience...not to mention outright lies.

It's not a credible forum for martial arts discussion...so many of the remarks made are merely inflammatory. I regret seeing some really fine martial artists (and fine human beings) being falsely represented or criticized.

I've practiced more than one martial arts disciplines to the level of black or higher. Garry Mullins is an EXCEPTIONAL martial artist and teacher.

Way to ignore my refutation of your first post and rant about irrelevant rhetorical crap. Did someone send out a call to arms newsletter to all the SDites to come here and defend their martial art's e-honor? Would you like to share what outright lies and non-credible martial arts discussion I'm perpetuating with the following:

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 7:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please point out lies.
    Right and you denounce an entire forum with 2 posts and no proof.
    Who insulted Master Mullins? Oh that's right no one here. Great strawman.
    Ah the classic if the student can't make it work it is the students fault defense.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 7:06pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree with what?

If the forum is that bad leave.

The whole, "you can't critique an art because of spirituality or respect" is the highest form of bullshido.

That is why people like Frank Dux, Christopher Geary, O Simon, can exist. "I have eight stripes and am a Grand Master you can not question anything I say."
    And..........

Is it inflammatory to question these people and their history? Yes.
    Is their a law of the universe that says this can't be done? Nope.

No one asked you guys here. Someone stumble on this site searching Shaolin-do and freaked out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 9:07pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can critique an art even with all due respect. That's the wonderful thing, if you ask questions and question things reasonably you will normally get answers ( from my experience).

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 9:44pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tao
    you can critique an art even with all due respect.
    No, actually you can't. No matter how nicely you put "your art sucks," people will get up in arms.
    We are still looking for the insult to Mullins. I've yet to see a post and all of you and his son are quite upset.

That's the wonderful thing, if you ask questions and question things reasonably you will normally get answers ( from my experience).
    Here is the fallacy. What defines reasonably? What defines normally?

When it comes to Martial arts both words hold different meanings.