Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/09/2005 3:57pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkpaladin
    Does that work on both the overclasp and underclasp? With the overclasp, the opponent's arm is usually blocking my knee and hips, other arm is blocking my head. Only way I can move is to the bottom of the north south...which isn't pretty.
    I'm trying to figure out what you meant by over and underclasp. Do you mean your opp. arm that is across your body when you say overclasp? As long as your arm nearest your opp. head can reach his collar/neck and your other arm can brace against his hip nearest your head and he is in sidemount you are good to go for the escape. Does that answer your question?
    Shut the hell up and train.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    9/09/2005 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    underclasp is when your opponent is hugging your far shoulder, one arm under the head, the other under the arm.

overclasp is when opponent's elbow is on the far side (to him) on the mat next to your head, and his other hand is by your near (to him) hip. It's a good transition to north south.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/09/2005 5:45pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, then if I am understanding you correctly the overclasp would nullify this escape as your opp would be pinning one of your arms. The escape should be attempted when your opp. is holding you in the underclasp position.

Edit: Underclasp is pictured earlier in this thread, right?
    Edit: I'm a dumbass, the escape should be executed when you are being held in the same manner as the beforementioned picture
    Last edited by jnp; 9/09/2005 5:50pm at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2005 11:21pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got to try out some of this stuff. I was rolling with another white belt today, really big guy, with a strategy of just laying his weight on top of me. I made sure not to make the same mistake of getting my arms trapped under his chest. Grabbed back of his belt, Got one underhook (under his arm under and around my waist) and managed to bridge, then shrimp, my way into half-guard. I had to do this a couple of times, but never managed to get him back into full guard. (I always end up on the bottom with this guy, he's big and strong... and I'm weak and thin... waaa) But anyway, your techniques definately helped, thanks again.

By the way, I'm really proud of myself, I managed to get to my instructor's back today, hooks and all! Instructor is a brown belt (he did get out of that position pretty quickly and handily) and I'm a white belt, and I've only had about 5 classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 12:02am

Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was just going to say what Osiris said... he probably let you get it. A blue belt just taught me his way of escaping someone who is trying to attain side control or going for full mount from the side. It involves spinning on your back. Maybe one of the more experienced guys can go into more detail on how its done since I dont want to confuse you :). I found it to be really good so far, but like he said, soon enough your training partners will know your tricks and start countering them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 12:31am

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's certainly possible. But I dunno, I was under guard, escaped to the side, then took the back, he turtled, I got hooks in (weak ones, which I lost quickly, heheh) got underhooks. He was struggling a bit, I got there pretty quickly, I don't know how much he intended. But I'll be the first to admit my ground game still sucks, and I'm sure he goes easy on me (he holds back on most submissions, lets me try to get out of them); it just seemed that when we were rolling, he was going a bit harder than he normally does, did more sweeps, kept me on my back for most of the time. He said after class he was very impressed and that he thought I'd be a really good grappler someday.

Anyway, yeah, he was probably going easy on me and letting me get there. But I don't care. It was fun, and I hadn't ever taken that position before, so I'm happy with my improvement.

Chemist

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 6:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know alot of the BJJ guys will probably disagree with me, but I'll reiterate what StrongMachine said earlier and say that you should probably try the Judo approach since you're getting stuck in a pin. This is a picture of traditional Yoko Shiho Gatame (side control), if you let the leg go then you have a modified side control which is more popular. You can tell this is Judo because the guy on the bottom has his arm just laying there asking for an Ude Garami (Kimura), anyways when you get stuck in a really tight side control and can't move.......

I usually try the traditional make space and shrimp into him from the get-go, but if your partner is blocking it by pushing your head away (like he's supposed to) or going for the armlock, he's probably over-extending himself in which case do the following (imagine you're the guy in the picture on the bottom)

1) take your left arm and put it across his back and grab the back of his belt

2) take your right arm underneath him and grab his pants at his hip or high on the thigh

3)push up with your right arm while pulling with your left arm and bridge

4) he should flip over you for the reversal and you'll end up in side control on top

If you watch really good Judokas, it will be very fast and dynamic and will happen as soon as they hit the mat from a throw and the top guy goes for side control
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yokoshih.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	3914  

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 8:52am

Style: PersonalDefenseReadiness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    look if you can find sopmething useful here :
    http://www.meutatame.com.br/saida_de_imobilizacoes.htm

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 12:39pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TNK, I LOVE Cradeling that leg.
    I get the most control with that variant of side control..and kesa, but i'm not sure everyone calls kesa a variant of side control.
    And kengou, he GAVE YOU HIS BACK. Don't get cocky or reality will eventually give you a very rude awakening. I'v tapped my instructor too, but it was when he GAVE ME side control, and then instructed me how to properly slap on an americana.(So I didn't make him tap, he was just instructing me, same principal of what your talkin bout) Kengou as you'll learn, as you get better, you'll notice with your instructor, it will just be how much longer it takes for him to tap you and thats after you start to get good.
    Me, and you would get our **** ruined in a grappling competition most likely period, and thats against beginners mind you. Don't get cocky. I'm not trying to be a prick but ya gotta remember this.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    9/10/2005 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    TNK, I LOVE Cradeling that leg.
    I get the most control with that variant of side control..and kesa, but i'm not sure everyone calls kesa a variant of side control.
    And kengou, he GAVE YOU HIS BACK. Don't get cocky or reality will eventually give you a very rude awakening. I'v tapped my instructor too, but it was when he GAVE ME side control, and then instructed me how to properly slap on an americana.(So I didn't make him tap, he was just instructing me, same principal of what your talkin bout) Kengou as you'll learn, as you get better, you'll notice with your instructor, it will just be how much longer it takes for him to tap you and thats after you start to get good.
    Me, and you would get our **** ruined in a grappling competition most likely period, and thats against beginners mind you. Don't get cocky. I'm not trying to be a prick but ya gotta remember this.
    Hehe. Too true. Remember rolling with a random guy and almost getting an armbar from guard and then quickly switched to omo-plata and thinking "HOLY **** I DID IT!" and he said "good, you almost got it, just crank it a little more and good thing you kept me from rolling over, but I can just do this to block it" and tucked his arm by his hips. For me it was a good thing he said something or I would have probably gone around with the same preconception mentioned here. This is the "humility" of MA that people seem to forget.

Too many claim you learn to be humble in MA without realising that speaking the gospel and talking about humility will not make you humble, only experience can do that job.
    More human than human is our motto.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast