Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 11:39am

Style: Brasilian Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie Question: Side Control

I need some tips how to get out of side control. Shrimping does little when I can't get my hands between my and opponents body. People who are stronger than me just press the hell out and I can't do ****.

What about it when getting outweighed a lot? Say 150lbs to 250lbs for example.

Though I made a dude tap to kimura yesterday! My first one!

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of side control?
    What does your instructor say for you to do?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me say this, even as an experienced BJJ guy: If you are outweighed by 100lbs and on bottom of side control you are pretty screwed.

There is a moment just before side control that you have to scramble. Just as they pass your guard you gotta think - holy ****! Move now or be crushed for the next few minutes. Now is not the time to think - Oh no!

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course "sidecontrol" means alot so we gotta keep it generic.But when you say you can't get your hands it it sounds like you're doing what most newer grapplers do.Your letting him get control by keeping your arms out as he is passing.
    Right as he is passed and looking to gain control your elbows should be tight to you.You should be cirled into a ball and facing him.
    Just like in takedown training get underhooks.Don't let him underrhook your far arm.If he does push into his neck/chin to get space and pummell for the underhook.Now turn in.
    If he has your hip on the near side controlled thats a whole nother problem.But from your vague statement we can't be sure.
    Just remember don;t hold him on you.Push him away.Keep your arms between you and him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 2:46pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also a newbie BJJ white belt and I have problems with this same issue, getting pinned under side control by a huge guy. I have been told to create space if possible and get them back into guard. However, often I get pinned after the guy gets an underhook on my far arm and then sort of hugs me, covering my face, and sometimes trapping my arms under him. Really sucks. Shrimping and bridging don't do anything against that. I've tried pushing on his neck/chin and it doesn't do a whole lot. I too would be interested in some more responses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 3:15pm

Style: Brasilian Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Kengou has the point :)

I rolled with my unexperienced friend and had to tap out because my own sleeve of my thick sweater suffocated me. Say PWNED.

I'm not outweighed since I'm 225 lbs or so, but outmuscled very often since I'm weak as hell.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ditto problem here

I'm 220, fairly strong, and have diffuculty getting out of bottom side control, or bottom half mount. Been in BJJ for 2 months now. I know of 2 ways to get out of AS, one being underhook, go to knees and drive them to their back; the other being shrimping for space and rehooking the legs to get into guard. Just can't seem to shrimp effectively from that position

to tell you the truth, when i get on the bottom in across side, sometimes i actually bait them into taking the mount (leave my legs down). I can shrimp out of the mount like nobody's business...but that damn across side pin has me baffled...

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cradle Guard. Search on it.

No, go on. Start your training with a gimmick.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 5:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are some tips that have helped me:

- Don't get your opponent-side arm trapped. As soon as possible, try and make space (buck) and get your elbow to the ground

- Turn into your opponent, and push on his head and hip to create space for shrimping.

- Look at where your feet are in relation to your arse (I'm serious). If they're too close, you will not have enough room to shrimp your knees in quickly. You need to find a happy medium distance from where you can shrimp the knees in with ease. Unfortunately this is something best corrected in person, so you will need to experiment with this or ask your instructor.

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 5:24pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shrimp, but not away from them, shrimp INTO them, in order to pull gaurd.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast