Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: American JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll tell you what, Curtis has always been hard hitting. I was talking to him online back when he was in the Navy and brought him to AJJ when he was on leave I think it was, then when he got out of the Navy he came back in and the rest is history. Got to say, Curtis is one of those guys that has always been a class act and any time I've worked with him I've enjoyed the professionalism.

The Good Rev
    Chad Sullivan
    Technical Technique Advisor to American Ju-Jitsu

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 9:21am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoa, hey Chad!

Yeah, Curtis is a class act for sure. One of the nicest people you can meet (outside of a cage, obviously).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: American JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry guys, I have visited but never registered until now. What's going on with everybody?

On your subject of video classes...you cannot get your black belt by video, you are required to test in person, OR AT LEAST THAT IS THE WAY IT USED TO BE. Otherwise, it would be the same thing as on ebay...people are selling these with your black belt certificate already filled out for you, regardless of if you ever watch the videos or not. Crawford required everyone to test for the black belt in person, more of a safeguard than anything else I am sure.

Let's not forget Militech began by watching videos... Hell, all I did while working nights was review tons and tons of videos for AJJ from all the various different styles and instructors because I was the one with all the extra time to do it. Sambo, Aiki-JuJitsu, various Ju-Jitsu styles etc...I had roughly 20 different tapes all packed to the 6 hour mark with various instructionals that you would find in BB Magazine etc...

Can you learn from video? Absolutely, it can give you tons and tons of knowledge. Does that mean you are going to be able to use it effectively? No, the problem with videos is that although you have knowledge, you don't have timing and hands on "chaos theory". All the techniques by video are great IF you have the guy not resisting your submissions as well as the "chaos theory" of ...just because you have a submission doesn't mean it is a one shot one kill situation, the majority of the time, you have to tweak a submission one way or another or they escape and you have to slow to the next. Videos don't teach you that on a general basis.

The Good Rev
    Chad Sullivan
    www.goodrev.com
    Technical Technique Advisor to American Ju-Jitsu
    Last edited by TheGoodRev; 4/23/2006 2:45pm at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 6:21pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch videos

Just putting out or watching videos doesn't make you bullsido.

In fact, the ability to preserve technique and fights on video means we live in one of the best times to be a fighter.

How many people would fight exactly how they fight now if they'd never seen Muhamad Ali or Royce Gracie or someone on video?

Other sports watch video of themselves and others in training and comp. It's a good tool.

Also

GOD DAMN that last guy's EYES WERE STILL OPEN

That's fucked.

Doesn't your boy know he's supposed to pull gaurd for a few minutes before finishing? :happy4:

On the subject of things you can give people at crawford's the business about: Was that where Herb Dean learned to stand people up so fast? :icon_joke
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 2:14am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Howdy AJJ people.

I was looking at the website tonight in order to plan my next two months and I thought I remembered that 8 classes of beginner level AJJ was necessary before going to the sport AJJ classes, but when I looked tonight, I didn't find that prerequsite. Is it true?

Are there any requirements for joining the kickboxing class?

Thanks in advance.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    5/05/2006 8:13am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They do make you go to the beginner classes first, I don't know that there is a set number...

And you can pretty much do the kickboxing at your leisure.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567