221364 Bullies, 3948 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 10:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Comprehensive injury report?

I am currently compiling a risk assesment packet for the university MMA club to be approved through the athletics department and I am having a lot of trouble coming up with credible and comprehensive statistics on injuries for any major MMA association. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could find a long-term injury report for any MMA orginization.

This is basically the last hurtle for the club that this site's information helped a lot in bringing to fruition. So, the first guy who answers with something useful will have my first born named after him. If it's a direct link I will name everything I can legally name from now on after him.

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 3:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, if you want to start a club... this isnt a road you want to go down. Injuries are going to happen, and there will be things that are major issues... like torn knees. Things boards do not want to see.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 4:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did a quick search at PubMed, the only appropriate result isn't exactly ideal for the board to see.
    Here's the abstract, the full text is probably downloadable using a uni computer with the institutional subscription.

Br J Sports Med. 2005 Jul;39(7):444-7. Related Articles, Links
    Click here to read
    Risk of cervical injuries in mixed martial arts.

Kochhar T, Back DL, Mann B, Skinner J.

Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, Middlesex, UK. tonykochhar@hotmail.com <tonykochhar@hotmail.com>

BACKGROUND: Mixed martial arts have rapidly succeeded boxing as the world's most popular full contact sport, and the incidence of injury is recognised to be high. OBJECTIVE: To assess qualitatively and quantitatively the potential risk for participants to sustain cervical spine and associated soft tissue injuries. METHODS: Four commonly performed manoeuvres with possible risks to the cervical spine were analysed with respect to their kinematics, and biomechanical models were constructed. RESULTS: Motion analysis of two manoeuvres revealed strong correlations with rear end motor vehicle impact injuries, and kinematics of the remaining two suggested a strong risk of injury. Mathematical models of the biomechanics showed that the forces involved are of the same order as those involved in whiplash injuries and of the same magnitude as compression injuries of the cervical spine. CONCLUSIONS: This study shows that there is a significant risk of whiplash injuries in this sport, and there are no safety regulations to address these concerns.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 8:57am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The injury report wasn't my idea. The board requires a risk assesment packet and leaving information out will look a lot more suspect than anything the data can say. If I can get some numbers together I can make them look good. Risk of injury can not possibly be greater than some of the sports that are allowed in the university right now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2005 6:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you could do queries at PubMed with queries such as Judo, MT, and Wrestling. There doesn't seem to be much stats on MMA since it's fairly new in the public eye.

Most of the studies seem to indicate MA:s are on the safe side when compared to sports such as Rugby, or even downhill skiing.

Go search PubMed, write a piece and post it on Bullshido, I bet there'll be a lot of (hopefully) constructive criticism.

the address is:

www.pubmed.com