Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 12:32am

Style: Capoeira & Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JCCC Karate Class Review

So I started taking Karate (not exactly sure what style) as a PE requirement in college. It's held at JCCC and I attend classes from 7-8PM. Classes are taught by Roy G. Porter who told us he has an excess of 30 years of martial arts experience. Holds a black belt in several styles... not sure which ones but he told us he's done: Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, and I think kick boxing (along with several others I can't recall).

Anyway... so these past few days we've been doing some kicks and self defense situations. After a few classes we've worked on elbows, kicking, and training with a partner that generally shows no resistance. We've also learned a "street", "cat", and "horse" stance. I'm sure you're all familiar with these things so I won't write anything else on them for now.

As for the class... it's about medium sized. Pads in a corner, a number of mirrors taking up a wall, an area to put our shoes, water, etc, some bos (long sticks), some weighted sticks, and a stereo system. The floor is nice and smooth, not many cracks and it's clean. The place is overall pretty clean.

The teacher... short fellow with a big chest and thick arms. He looks like he can hit hard, but he's so far taken it easy on us when we're holding the pads. He's maybe 35 - 42 right now and has calloused hands from breaking wooden blocks and doing knuckle pushups. He's a very nice guy, but he seems to have some misconceptions about things like breaking someone's foot with a stomp, and taking their eyes out with an eye gouge. He has the "Judged by twelve..." attitude but he doesn't take it far. Just common sense things like watch out, don't act stupid, go for help whenever you can, etc.

The students... I'm the only male student in the class. There are other males that come to class but they're a part of the higher classes so I'm the only official male :D. The two kind I've seen are "I used to do this all the time. I'm pissed off that he doesn't accept my belt in here but my other school does." The other kind is "heh, I want to talk with my friends while I do this stuff." I'm the most flexible student in the class which is sad.

Back to what we we're being taught. He made us stand in a horse stance and lift our elbow up telling us to aim for the head (nose and jaw areas). He taught us how to get out a choke (someone grabbing your neck and pushing you back) but I question it's effectiveness. He places emphasis on getting the technique down correctly. I heard that he'll sometimes make the students do one or two kicks at least 1,000 in a single class to make sure they get it right. We don't have much time in class though so we sometimes move quickly (even though we're usually behind schedule).

I think that's about it... is there anything I'm missing (aside from sense)?

Edit: I forgot to mention that focusing on technique so much led me to realize that I can only kick at full speed. If I go slowly I lose my balance so I'm now working towards fixing that.
    Last edited by DanielH; 9/07/2005 12:37am at .

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 12:39am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there's a particular stance for the street then what are the uses of the other stances?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the street stance is when you stand at an angle with your hands up and your palms open in an "I give up" manner. It's not a stance you'd use for anything else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 6:02am

Style: combat centres

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like he's repeating the training that he received when he was a youngen. Maybe that's not the best approach with the students that he has and the timetable that he's got to work with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 9:31am

Style: Chinese Pugilism

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielH
    Edit: I forgot to mention that focusing on technique so much led me to realize that I can only kick at full speed. If I go slowly I lose my balance so I'm now working towards fixing that.
    Your edit caught my attention so I will comment on it with the risk of taking the thread off topic. I think this is an important point for people focusing on MMA (or just speed) to early in their MA career. I see people (also seen from throwdown videos) that are too much a jack of all trades and ends up without a solid base.

Practicing fundamentals, and practicing slowly/relaxed has a lot of value in that is shows you where you are off balance so that you can correct it. Going fast you can hide problems but (I think) it will stop you from delivering with power and also give you a false sense of security.

I've also found that it's not that hard to go from practicing slow/relaxed to go fast. The other way around is much harder. I used to be based on speed and pure muscle power but growing older I've found that it only works to a point (and that point is not that far up).
    Adapting your speed to a situation once you are relaxed and have good fundamentals is not that hard (even if it's still a skill). It also allows you to deliver with more power

That said I probably spend too much time on relaxation, slowness and not enough time on alive training but I'm working my way up towards it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 9:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to only do live training and bag work. I have the balance, speed, accuracy, and strength (as bad as they are) when I'm moving around and attacking quickly, but not when I'm going slow. I think both are important so I'm going to keep up with both. Now I just need to improve my boxing skills for a better stand up game :D.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 9:47am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Roy. It's a basic, traditional Karate class at a college. Most of his students are unmotivated and uninterested, so I think he gets jaded sometimes.

He definately believes in the traditional methods. Good or bad. Solid Martial artist in general. He is a Bushidokan Black Belt under Steve Mackey, so he has a very good pedigree for the old school stuff. And he can hit like a tank.
    Last edited by Scrapper; 9/07/2005 9:49am at .
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 10:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you ATT guys know him? He knows a guy from my Capoeira group... everyone speaks highly of each other in these areas. I've seen him hit a pad to show us some stuff... never hard though. I'd like to see him hit something really hard to see what he can do. His movements are clean though.

Do you know a taller, skinny (but muscular), bald guy called Matt? He usually wears a hat and has a kid... Or a blonde guy that has some boxing/kickboxing experience called Chris?

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 10:11am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean AJJ?

My niece goes to Steve Stillwell's Bushidokan, so I am familiar that way. Also my Ex-girlfriend took the class at JCCC. I've met him once and watched a class. Good guy, if you want traditional Karate.

I don't know those other guys.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AJJ, sorry. I thought it was "American Top Team"

The other guys are from my Capoeira group who know a lot of the local martial art guys.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast