Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 11:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What grappling experience did Pat Smith have....

...prior to UFC 1.

I've read a little on this guy and it seems like all his previous arts (tae kwon doe, karate, robate) has been striking arts. However, in the first UFC he did know enough to go into a collar and elbow clinch once Shamrock shot in. He also apparentily knew what a guard was. Most people untrained in grappling would just desperatily grab whatever parts of their opponents they could when someone clinches them and they certainly wouldn't know to put opponents between their legs when they're on bottom. So where did he learn the little grappling he had?

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    9/07/2005 8:24pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, he did tap out 2 people with guillotine chokes if memory serves me.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 4:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TTT, I'm curious. I think I heard the answer somewhere else before.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 7:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pat what taught grappling by a shaolin monk that he found woundering the coast line of Colorodo.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He had the anti-ninja grapple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 6:52pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm almost positive that he had no grappling experience prior to UFC 1. Most of what little grappling he did was really basic and probably based on sheer instinct. They were actually quite a few clinches and guillotine chokes done by pure strikers in the first couple UFCs. When some dude gets close to you in a fight, it's a pretty natural reaction to grab and pull on random vunerable parts of your opponent. Just watch some street fight vids.

After UFC 1, Smith learned his lession after getting schooled by Shamrock and started training in a little bit of grappling (he mentions this in his later interviews in the UFC). Although, he never studied it enough to become a well versed grappler.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 9:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the two gullotine chokes he got was in UFC 2, so I'm assuming he had some training after UFC 1.

But I wonder how the hell he knew to go into guard when Shamrock took him down? No one, including him had seen Royce fight so it wasn't like the fight with John Hess where he went into guard after Andy Anderson reversed him even though he had no idea what to do from there. He just probabily saw the old UFCs and was badly imitating what Royce did. Going into guard is not something you get from experience. I've seen plenty of street fight vids and when the fight goes down the guy who's on bottom has no idea to utilize his legs to keep his opponent at bay. That's why you see so many beatings from the mount in street fights.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/08/2005 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He might've had some, just real basic or from a long time ago. Maybe had some judo experience years before he started getting into the striking. Tough to say. He might've just gotten lucky too, there's always that.