One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 12:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMYoung
    I'm not sure what you'd call it. He took a little bag outside, put it on a rock, and started punching it. :)
    I don't know what you'd call it either. Along with the bag/rock punching, they showed him in a seated position, hands placed about the dantien, meditating? Then they showed him extending his arms over his head and opening and closing his hands.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 12:12am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They call him the Jedi. Ha ha.

I like Matt's attitude so far. He put the new dude through hell after he flicked off the treadmill. Actually, he and Rich both seem to have great attitudes.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 12:21am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounded like it was a bag with either ball bearings or sand in it.

It made a nice sandy sound when he hit it. That is just my guess.

Anyone know what it actually was?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 12:23am

Style: SubG, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Then they showed him extending his arms over his head and opening and closing his hands.
    I think those are called cherry pickers, I think they help build fast-twitch muscles which make his hands faster.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 12:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare
    It sounded like it was a bag with either ball bearings or sand in it.

It made a nice sandy sound when he hit it. That is just my guess.

Anyone know what it actually was?
    It could be one of those chin na bags they have out there, or even an iron hand bag. They use a bunch of different stuff in them, it could be steel shot.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 12:44am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Merciless Matt Hughes indeed.

What was that line at the end "I looked at it as a win win situation, if Rob loses then he's gone, yay, if he wins, well then heyk another win".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 8:21am

Style: MT,bJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    It could be one of those chin na bags they have out there, or even an iron hand bag. They use a bunch of different stuff in them, it could be steel shot.
    The bag was either filled with pea gravel or like you said steel shot. Luke was basically doing the puching and forearms exercises described in Bruce Lee's books.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The injury Rob had is almost exactly what I had (torn Labrum, torn Rotator Cuff, and torn Biceps Tendon). The bulge in his bicep was the bicep itself, the upper tendon tore and the muscle knotted up. It's sometimes called "Popeye Arm".

It is painful, but not as painful as he was making it out to be. I trained for years with mine, before getting smart and finally getting it fixed. However, it is very unnerving because your humerus bone keeps popping out of joint and at that point your shoulder joint ceases to function. You can never predict when it will pop out.

He probably tore his labrum a while ago, possibly even years, and the Rotator Cuff and Biceps Tendon were slowly tearing over time. Then, during the fight, the Biceps Tendon finally snapped completly.

The thing is, he most likely knew before the show/competition began that he had this injury. If that's the case, it was pretty shitty of him to take that spot, denying a healthier fighter the opportunity to compete.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 9:38am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even with the shoulder injury, there was no excuse to get caught in that triangle. The speed with which that triangle was put on looked like a bjj white belt learning it for the first time and putting it on in steps. If Rob couldn't recognize that, then he had no reason to really be on the show in the first place.

As the coaches and Dana said, he just gave up.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2005 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    Even with the shoulder injury, there was no excuse to get caught in that triangle. The speed with which that triangle was put on looked like a bjj white belt learning it for the first time and putting it on in steps. If Rob couldn't recognize that, then he had no reason to really be on the show in the first place.

As the coaches and Dana said, he just gave up.
    I agree with that. In fact, I'm not so sure that triangle was even sunk in properly, but it's really difficult to tell as a spectator. My GUESS is that Rob just gave up. He allowed the triangle, then possibly tapped before it was even sunk in.

I don't necessarily hold that against him though, having experienced that shoulder problem. Matt was incorrect about it dissapearing when the fight begins. That's true of many injuries. I broke my arm in the first quarter of a football game and continued to play the whole game despite it. I've competed and trained through many injuries, and for the most part, they do disappear once the adrenaline kicks in. However, when the humerus pops out of the shoulder joint, your shoulder is dislocated and is virtually useless. It's not a matter of ignoring the pain, it's a matter of having almost zero strength/use of an entire limb. Also, the biceps tendon snapped during the match, almost definitely when he was attempting the guillotine. Maybe he gave up, but he actually fought really well, considering the injury. Then again, maybe he didn't give up, it's really hard to tell.

What I do fault him for, as I said above, is taking a spot away from a healthy fighter. He never should have been there to begin with.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast