OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    9/04/2005 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planktime
    For example would you follow the idea that someone in Indonesia would need to study different groups of techniques then someone in the USA?
    Also, you spelled "Planck time" wrong.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2005 3:59pm

Style: Shooto, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie
    it is "distilled jiu-jitsu" (the fluff was taken out)
    I find this highly offensive btw.

Karate and Kung Fu practisioners are major culprits when it comes to claiming falsely that their style is complete. The first reason for this is simply that a lot of Karate and Kung Fu places are McDojos, which water down their curriculum to make sure there are no exercises that may intimidate the feint hearted (such as wrestling), and make such people part with their cash elsewhere. The second reason is that even if all the elements mentioned at the start of this thread are present, training will be divided up to the point that each element is covered too briefly, unless perhaps you can dedicate a frightening amount of time to such training.

I believe cross training is the closest you're going to get to a complete training programme. But even by cross training, most people still won't have that.

For example, at the moment I'm doing kickboxing for stand-up, and a grappling session at a shootfighting club for stand-up clinch and groundwork. This feels far from complete though, as I think I'm missing out on the prolonged, red hot punch exchanges that you can get through boxing, and the striking in the clinch experienced in muay thai. In the kickboxing class, the prevalence of lead leg stop-kicks along with an absence of clinch training, restricts the degree to which boubts are spent within punching range and the clinch. In my grappling class meanwhile, when in the clinch, the emphasis is more on submitting or taking down and submitting the opponent, not pounding the crap out of them. I could take muay thai or boxing at a place in town to fill these gaps, but then there is the issue of dropping training at my current kickboxing club (where keeping an opponent at a distance is taught more effectively) or practice on the ground, to make room for it. Then there's also my desire to increase my grappling training by switching from shooto to a BJJ club with classes 2-3 times a week, because this is definetly my weakest attribute. And I don't even do any weapons training or serious body building exercises!

So anyway, my basic point is that time constraints make it incredibly difficult to have a complete training programme, whether you cross train or do a so-called complete style. However I would still recommend cross training, as this would allow you to get some decent training in a few elements of fighting at some point in time, instead of just training every single one badly.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 9/04/2005 4:03pm at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123