Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 12:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't want to turn this into a striking vs grappling thread.

That being said, I trained in Silat for a few months earlier this year. I am looking into buying some videos and studying it on my own (no schools nearby). I really like a lot about Silat, but I am concerned about how it and other Philipine arts handle grapplers. What happens if someone tries to clinch, tie you up, or shoot in? From what I have seen of Silat, it bases a lot of its techniques on attacking the attacker, for lack of a better term. By this, I mean that you drive in close to the attacker while you block and then do all sorts of nasty stuff to him. The problem, though, is what happens if you drive in while the guy is shooting or trying to tie you up? If you hesitate to see whether he is striking or shooting, won't that make your reaction too slow? Regardless, I do suspect that there are some Silat principles that you can apply even when clinching.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See the "silat anti grappling" thread I made.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 7:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silat IS a grappling art. Silat anti grappling is the blade.

As for the FMA's, oh, they have the grappling, again, a live blade does wonders for keeping the other grapplers on their toes.

Fancy a milkshake?

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 7:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand these "anti-grappling" techniques, once your in the clinch or on the ground any decent grappler will have the advantage if you can't play their game. So therefore "anti-grappling" = grappling its as simple as that.
    "Pussyhole"

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 8:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the word "anti-grappling" is simply a category of technique which helps you defend and escape from a situation where you would have to grapple so that you can strike more. I'm not saying it works, but please don't pretend like you have no idea what anti-grappling means.

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 8:33pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What brand said.
    Anti-grappling exists.

--
    Hard Work, Patience, Dedication

"Except Anthony, that is...I'm still coming out in November! Can you hear the baying of the hounds?!?" -CT

MSN Messenger - just_pizdoff@hotmail.com
    Don't add me if you are going to be an idiot.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Fancy a milkshake?

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 9:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok agreed that there are methods for prolonging the striking game, but as you said Brand they may not neccesarily work. I worded it badly, what I should have said was your deluding yourself if you think that all you need is some anti-grappling techniques to assure yourself that you won't have to grapple and that I think there is very little room for those type of techniques as more than likely in most situations when some one is trying hard enough to take it to the ground its going to go there, so you should be prepared.
    "Pussyhole"

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think what is irritating about the term is that it implies that these are techniques beyond the knowledge of grapplers and hidden deep inside the magic trick bags of TMA strikers.

When in fact they usually amount to a bare handful of techniques borrowed from grappling systems.

I should start talking about "anti-striking".
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 9:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2003 10:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Filipino arts HAVE grappling. The ANTI-grappling is using a blade/stick on some wrestler/BJJ/JJ/judo type. If you don't think a live blade is anti-grappling at it's best you have lost all hope.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast