• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 2:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had been taking Judo for about a year, but I recently injured my back. The doctor told me I need to avoid falling onto it for the next year or so, which pretty much puts any grappling/throwing type stuff out of the picture for awhile. This set me on a search for a decent stand-up MA. Since you guys seem to know what is BS and what's legit, I've come here for your advice.

The only stand-up schools in my area are a Tae Kwon Do dojang and a Tang Soo Do dojang. Having lurked on these boards for a bit, I know what everyone thinks of Tae Kwan Do. But I've heard very little of Tang Soo Do. Has anyone seen it/studied/practiced it before? I plan on visiting both schools to watch the class myself, as that will give me a much better gauge to go by, but I'd appreciate any other input.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 2:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't think leaning wayyyy back to do those high kicks is going to be a good idea...
    I'd ask the doctor specific questions about the motions you will be doing, in person. If there isn't a problem with rotating your back a bit, maybe boxing would be a good idea? I'm not quite sure what you can and can't do besides fall.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah,
    Tang Soo Do is aguably the best Korean art and a decent striking art to boot, but there are some pretty difficult techniques which could seriously put you at risk for back injury.

Boxing would be better for your back but it's not gonna improve your overall striking, though it'll vastly improve your footwork and hand work.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I did/do take Tang Soo Do and could tell you more about it but I'd steer clear if I had a back injury if I were you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 5:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, basically I cracked a growth plate and knocked a vertebrae out of alignment. In about three months I should be fit to run/rotate, and in about a year I should be good as new and ready to fall again.

Thanks for the input. I'm glad to know that Tang Soo Do is a good choice, and from a Tang Soo Do practicioner to boot! I'll give myself a few months and then be sure to look into it. In the mean time, I'll acquire a conceal and carry permit. Those thugs won't know what hit 'em! (Seriously, they won't. Heh, heh, heh.) Also, I'd be happy to learn anything about TSD that I can, 10Fingers, so I don't seem too foolish when I finally do sign up. If there's anything else you'd like to add, I'd be pleased with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 7:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, I have full confidence in western medecine but I think you should take whatever your doc says about training MA with a grain of salt. Doctors don't really understand martial arts and therfore it is hard for them to give good advice about it. Just my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 7:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TSD is an excellent stand up art.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    8/14/2002 8:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Musashi83: while he may not, if he tells you not to move your back a certain way, and you do, its still not a good idea. How the back is physically damaged and what movement could make it worse isn't a matter of east versus west, is the physical tangible result of an injury.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."