Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Yuchia Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hurtsellers

I'll admit right now, I'm new to martial arts; don't expect an expert's opinion here. However, I attend at Sensei Hurtseller's dojo, and I can tell you that there is a portion of each class dedicated to kung-fu (as a cardio/self-defense exercize) and a portion dedicated to BJJ (as a self-defense exercize). Sparring does occurr. In each class, the students are paired off we do light sparring with blastmasters and such. There are more advanced classes with more advanced sparring, if you're into that. And I can tell you from personal experience that people do get hurt. Breaking a rib is not uncommon.

After spending weeks trying to determine whether or not bullshido is in play, I must admit, he doesn't seem to deserve it. He's motivational, draws a lot on soft styles and meditation to develope the mind, and puts that right in front of you at the start. He also teaches Yuchia Kung Fu, after Sifu Robert Brown, which, in a nutshell, is an many respects similar to Jeet Kun Do in that it takes what works and gets rid of the rest.

He's not into tradition to the point where he lets it mean more than functionality. The point is to "practice exactly the way you would perform", rather than kata yourself into a butt whoopin in a dark parking lot somewhere. So don't expect a lot of stances and superfluous animal form junk. Even so, I wish we would have more of that because it makes it more like the Kung Fu I remember on Kung Fu Hustle - and who doesn't secretly want to learn the Lion's Roar?

Prices are a bit high (it is his only source of income - but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a McDojo or nothin'). But you can attend less to pay less if price is a sticking point. Or go somewhere else, I suppose. But that's capitalism.

I'd say it's a good place. I'm happy with it, I'm progressing, I feel like the senior students are much better than I am, the people there aren't jackasses, the kids' classes are separate from the adults' classes, and there are no teenage blackbelts. I could live without the "mindfullness" stuff, or Zen, or whatever it is. But that's Kung Fu.

the sensei's name is Hurtseller... come on.. they HAVE to be tough. The guy's ancestors sold hurt for jebus' sake, that's a hell of a heritage.
    And this is something that makes me laugh every time I think of it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2006 2:51pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What rank does Hurtseller hold in BJJ?

I couldn't find him on bjj.org.

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 10:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Yuchia Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

got me

You know, I don't have the slightest clue. He's mostly a Karate guy, far as I can tell. Okinawan Shuri Ryu, specifically. He's on the official website:.. http://shuri-ryu.com/ohio.htm

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know nothing about this place, but on the site it says:

At the age of fourteen he began to study Martial Arts purely as a way to defend himself. Not only was he able to stop the bullying, but soon he discovered unanticipated benefits, such as an increase in confidence, concentration, and an improved physical appearance. Most unexpected of all, his previously failing school grades dramatically turned around, placing him as an honor role student. Sensei Hurtsellers' life is truly a reflection of the benefits of the Martial Arts.

Sensei Hurtsellers began teaching Martial Arts as his one and only full time profession in 1982 and has continued to teach full time ever since.
    This is a pet peeve of mine. No one studies "Martial Arts". I wish people would be up front about what they studied and from who. He goes into more detail later on the page, but it annoys me when people don't give upfront info on their styles and credentials.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 12:14pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by technosensei
    I'll admit right now, I'm new to martial arts; don't expect an expert's opinion here. However, I attend at Sensei Hurtseller's dojo, and I can tell you that there is a portion of each class dedicated to kung-fu (as a cardio/self-defense exercize) and a portion dedicated to BJJ (as a self-defense exercize). Sparring does occurr. In each class, the students are paired off we do light sparring with blastmasters and such.
    if your holding one of these Blast Master then your not sparing.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 1:39pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is a student of the kung-fu school mentioned in this thread.

Dagon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2006 3:42pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gosai,

I'd say that a relatively easy way to determine whether or not this guy is teaching bullshido is to go ask him his rank in bjj. Saying that he trained with a student of Renzo doesn't mean anything. (I train with a student of Rickson, but I'm in no way qualified to teach).

If he's teaching bjj and ranks below blue belt, there's a good chance that he has no business teaching the bjj component of his curriculum.

Even if that's the case, his karate might be good.

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 1:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you made any judgements on this place, Gosai? I'm in the area and considering attending. Toledo--unsurprisingly--doesn't exactly have much in the way of quality places to train (although Saulo Ribeiro runs a place in town, I don't really want to do full time BJJ).

Anyway, I went to one class, but if you have any impressions you could share I'd love to hear them.

Posted On:
    4/08/2007 3:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shuri-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a former student of Joseph Hurtsellers Sensei.

Hurtsellers Sensei is a Godan in Shuri-ryu Karate. He is currently a ranking student of Sifu Brown's Kung Fu. He has trained in many styles, however (at the time of this writing) I do not think that he has ranked in any of them. This may not be the case any more, since it has been some time since I have trained with him (2003).

His Karate is rock-solid. When I trained with him, he taught only Shuri-ryu. He has since switched to being Kung Fu based, with Shuri-ryu and other styles mixed together. Shuri-ryu has similar elements to BJJ and Nihon JJ.

From what I have learned from current students, I would not say that what he is currently teaching is what most people would expect when they think of Mixed Martial Arts. Sure, what he is teaching may be a mixture of the art forms that he has learned, and at the same time, it is not MMA as seen in UFC and such.

As a person, Hurtsellers Sensei is a solid person, with an honest and true spirit. He is not one to BS for a dollar, or to lie to you to get you to join. He is very up-front in explaining what it is that he teaches and what he does not teach.

Knowing Hurtsellers Sensei, it seems that the web site is trying to align itself with Search Engine Optimization (SEO), in order to attract people interested in "Martial Arts" in general, and/or those that may think that they are interested in a specific style. Since Shuri-ryu contains a lot of elements that are found in other styles, it would be easy for someone to join Hurtseller Sensei's school and find what they may be looking for. Of course, his school was never a "one-size-fits-all" type of school.

As a man, Joseph Hurtsellers is a great person, and respected martial artist (his track record in fighting is valid and to be admired - even though he down-plays it greatly). For what he currently teaches and such, I can not address as I currently am not a student of his.

Sincerely,
    David Michael Cunningham

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/08/2007 4:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh god dont get me started about shuri ryu...
    there are a couple of schools in Holland with a 'grandmaster'called wendi dragonfire,women only classes...

Ive seen promotional material and just from the pictures alone i could tell they are full of it.
    Those people are dangerous they give women and girls a false sense of security,its just not right.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast